MY17 CVT shudders at low speed - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

MY17 CVT shudders at low speed

I've noticed that when in peak hour style traffic and doing light acceleration the car "shudders" and jerks quite strongly. This happens at low speed (<~40Km/h) and when you lightly accelerate. it's like the CVT and the engine aren't quite lined up. It varies, but regularly it feels like the car will stall.

This happens when cruise control is in use too, so it's not my **** driving.

Anyone else?
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Garage
Bazza, have you broken in your engine? My dealer said that I should not use cruise control for the first 1600 km.

2017 2.0i Sport-tech 5-door in Lithium Red Pearl
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:50 PM

That's really weird. If it feels like it's going to stall out it sounds like it's misfiring or something. Under flat footing, does it still jerk ?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooflop View Post
Bazza, have you broken in your engine? My dealer said that I should not use cruise control for the first 1600 km.

No. It's been doing it since pickup. The reason you were told that is the old advice that you shouldn't run your engine at the same RPM for long periods. That hasn't happened as all of my driving has been peak hour freeway so very on and off. I don't know if that advice is still current but I wasn't told it. In any case, it's not the style of driving I've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John86 View Post
That's really weird. If it feels like it's going to stall out it sounds like it's misfiring or something. Under flat footing, does it still jerk ?

No, it takes off.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Well if you don't plan on owning beyond the 3-4 year mark then you might not even come close to noticing any possible issues that will come from what might be an improper break in. Personally, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM

A bad break-in procedure isn't going to cause OPs shuddering and jerking issues. So that's irrelevant.

Have you taken it to the dealers? This is why we have warranty!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John86 View Post
Have you taken it to the dealers? This is why we have warranty!
Yes... They said they updated it. It is perhaps slightly better but still not great to drive.

As for comments about run in procedure - it's been the same since the day i got it. Also, my driving matches all of the normal run in things that people recommend.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Tom

I certainly do not know the root cause of your problem. I have a hard time conjuring how break-in for a new vehicle has anything to do with it. I've got a 2 month old '17 Impreza Premium HB and have not experienced this issue. I am impressed with the CVT Subaru tranny....and I've got a '16 Outback too. Computers these days control our outcomes. Deal with it...election results, hacking, paying bills, your electric service, most everything. And a computer controls those shift points in your car.

Years ago I experienced major work computer issues, doing 3D CAD design and 3D part printing. The IT guy trying to fix things did the chimpanzee shrug, and said maybe it was a cosmic ray that compromised my computer. I thought this was the lamest excuse, until I researched it a bit. And yes, an awry, subatomic particle coming from deep space can whack your Impreza computer and turn a 0 into a 1, or vice-a-versa. **** happens, my friend.

Like the advice in the Apollo 13 movie, work the problem. And I'd start with the dealer....you're in warranty, and they should, or could fix this. There's not a lot of problems showing up on this forum with CVT issues. You got hit...maybe by a cosmic ray.

bon voyage
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 AM

There's a TSB for this (TSB 11-172-17). "This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ECM. The new logic will address isolated customer concerns of a hesitation and / or a stumble felt on light acceleration"

Basically a software update the dealer can do.
Barb and MisterVictor45 like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertrkr View Post
There's a TSB for this (TSB 11-172-17). "This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ECM. The new logic will address isolated customer concerns of a hesitation and / or a stumble felt on light acceleration"

Basically a software update the dealer can do.
Do you know when it was released?

They did an update on mine about 2 weeks ago - i'm not sure if it's this one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page