Trailer hitch? - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Trailer hitch?

Has anyone found/installed a trailer hitch to their new Impreza? I talked to a truck accessory shop the other day and they said they had could not find any current hitches for the 2017 Impreza. I am hoping to get one to install a 1upUSA bike rack.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 AM

I just did yesterday, by U-Haul. check out e-trailer,they 3 listed to fit a hatch with single exhurst.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_...Single+Exhaust

if you are looking for bike rack check out this one I bought.
they were the cheapest price for this rack. they also have a 3bike rack for $110

https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/rola...-mount-2-bike/
Imperor Zeus likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM

Garage
Did U-Haul install a hitch that you purchased online? It looks like U-Haul sells basically the same hitch as the Hidden Hitch for about $40 more than online. Their installation price seems reasonable - about $50. I called several mechanics, and nobody seems interested in installing a hitch.

I also thought about buying some of the "Curt Trailer Hitch Support Straps" to help stabilize a bike rack, but I'm worried they'd damage the plastic spoiler on the Sport hatch.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 AM

yes u-haul did install the hitch.
but I purchased it thru them.
they gave me the hitch for the online price $98.00 not $150.00.

I also was concern with my trunk rack damaging the rear spoiler.
that's why I went with the hitch.
I seen pics. of trunk mounted rack on suv and other hatchback but they all had either no spoiler or was able to go under it,or a smaller one.
also I was worried about the rear window. one report I found someone imploded their rear window on a hatchback.

I also got a Allen bike anti-rattle bolt. for about $7.00 to take most of the looseness of the hitch in the receiver . haven't tried it let.
https://allensportsusa.com/parts/all...no-wobble-bolt

Last edited by skycomag; 03-01-2017 at 12:34 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM

Garage
Hmm, I see an online price of $134.95 for a 2017 Impreza Hatch hitch on U-Haul's site. I wonder if they raised the price? Or did they price-match ETrailer or something?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:22 PM

hitch mounted systems are always the way I go since during times I don't need the rack, with the hitch sticking out a bit it lessens the impact of someone hitting my vehicle or prevents any damage. Living in the city mysterious damage always happens, rather prevent that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:26 PM

the guy I dealt with price matched e trailer. since I was getting the $98.00 one.
I told him about etrailer's site and he checked t out and made me an offer. which took. for it was a win-win. no shipping. not to worry about getting a damage hitch,
by the way I live in rhode island don't if another would do what he did for me.
probably a slow week for them.
sagaciousB likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 AM

I have the 2017 Premium 5-door model and got a Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch #24886 for puling a small sailboat - maybe 600-750 lb total weight for trailer and boat. Chickened out on doing the hitch install myself but there was no major complaint from my mechanic. I have not gotten the trailer and boat out of the caverns yet so I cannot report on the actual pulling of the rig. I did use a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 for this in the past without issue so I expect no problems as the Impreza is about three or four hundred pounds heavier and has an automatic transmission.

I did do the trailer lighting myself with some much needed assistance from the forum here. I saw no easy way to get the lighting harness power wire through the firewall to the battery as described in the instructions.

Used fuse 27 in the box at lower left of the cabin front for the trailer lighting. The harness instructions for the Tekonsha 118573 had you go direct to the battery with a wire that looked like it could work for Niagara Falls level power but provided a 10 amp fuse for the line. I guess the fuse box can take 10 amps without issue. It sure was a lot easier than getting through the firewall.

Of some note however, the Tekonsha 118573 trailer lighting kit that fit 2012 and later Imprezas, does not fit 2017 models. Part of this 80%-95% all new business has gone all the way down to the tail light socket connections. Big chunky 6 pole to smaller 4 pole to my eye. "Custom" trailer lighting that used those sockets does not mate now. Etrailer site has now revised it's recommendation and indicates there is no custom fit trailer lighting available. If you've made the purchase of this and not opened up the kit see if you can return it for a generic splice-in unit. Going to the dealer may open up the "Thou shalt not pull a trailer with thy Impreza" discussion. Tell em its for extra lights for your bike rack. Subaru owners are known for being eccentric ya know.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Anyone else have more pics of tow hitches on the Impreza? Since the car is lower the previous years, how's the ground clearance?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM

Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch #24886 A quick eyeball check seems to put it at a level a tad above the rest of the low hanging stuff. The hitch does jut out the rear so you could have a "slope attack angle" issue although my 5-door is some 6+ inches shorter than a sedan; spec says 175.6 to 182.1 That may mitigate that a bit for a 5-door. Nothing has scraped yet. Tape measure at the rear shows 8 1/4 inches up to the bottom of the chain attachment loops and about 1 inch indent in from the bumper face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170328_115643.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170328_115610.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170326_144907.jpg
Views:	169