8" with Navi frozen screen issue - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
8" with Navi frozen screen issue

Hi, yesterday I had my first problem with the beautiful "8-in with Navi" screen in my 2017 Sport-tech.

I turned the car on and the "Safety Instruction" screen appeared—the one that says "CAUTION Drive safely and obey traffic rules. Watching this screen and making selections while driving can lead to a serious accident... etc" with a large green button that says "I Agree".

That screen was frozen and unresponsive. Tapping anywhere on the screen didn't do anything, and none of the physical buttons below the screen did anything.

I tried the following things to troubleshoot:
1. turned the car on and off a few times
2. disconnected my iPhone from the USB cable and disconnected the USB cable
3. unpaired my iPhone using Bluetooth
4. drove a few blocks away from the reach of my house's Wi-Fi and then turned the car on and off

Nothing worked, so I drove down to the dealership (about a 15 minute drive) to have it looked at. I parked in the front (about 5 minutes) and when the tech turned on the car, the screen was entirely black, for about 10-15 seconds. Then it rebooted itself and it worked.

The dealership acknowledged that it shouldn't do that, but couldn't offer a fix. I asked if it there was a way to manually reboot the screen and they didn't have the answer to that.

I was disappointed that there are glitches in this system, but I realize that it's only a computer and those need to be restarted every now and then. Granted, it's a computer that's part of the car and it shouldn't crash, but none of car's essential functions were controlled by the screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to manually restart the screen? Would disconnecting the car battery do it, or is that too draconian?
post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:35 PM

Disconnecting the battery would definitely do it, or if you removed the deck and unhooked it. Disconnecting the battery is a much easier method, but you may need a radio key code to input when it turns back on so just be mindful of that.
dooflop likes this.
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBoost View Post
Disconnecting the battery would definitely do it, or if you removed the deck and unhooked it. Disconnecting the battery is a much easier method, but you may need a radio key code to input when it turns back on so just be mindful of that.
Thanks GotBost! Alright, I'll write down the radio key code and if it happens again, and it if it doesn't restart by itself, I'll try disconnecting the battery. I don't think I want to attempt removing the deck.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:05 PM

Not a problem! Removing the deck is definitely not something a lot of people want to do nor should do.. I can imagine the dealership trying to give you a hassle if they notice that you've already gone in there and attempted to fix it yourself if the need should arise.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:04 PM

Being a vehicle under warranty you might as well go into the dealership. Take advantage of that while you can, also make sure you're dealing with a good dealer, some will go the extra mile to keep your continued service.

Keep us posted on how things go.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It happened again yesterday. The screen was again stuck on the screen with the green "I Agree" button.

I was running some errands, parked the car, and when I returned the deck restarted.

I think I'll go back to the dealer, it shouldn't be happening.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 PM

May be a defective unit at this point. I would understand if it had a bit of a fuzzle once and didn't happen again for months, but this is quite frequent now. Dealer it is! Get em' to replace it hopefully.

Keep us updated!
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 PM

I had posted this in another thread. Apologies for repeat, but I can't figure out how to link.

I've had the same issue since I bought my Subaru Impreza Sport on Jan 5.

*Jan. 11 my car had a completely black screen. No radio, no display lights. The icons -- phone, media, apps -- were lit but nothing else.
*Jan.13 dealer took car (after first telling me they couldn't see me for 10 days!?) and reset monitor. Said it was a fuse and couldn't recreate issue.
*Jan 16 Starlight ? system engaged itself and wouldn't allow radio or phone play until call was completed. Except I never engaged the system, it did it on its own.
*Jan. 17 in am Starlight system reset itself, radio and monitor working
*Jan 17 in pm -- no radio, monitor or Starlight system
*Jan 18 -- went to start car (after calling dealer) -- battery dead but radio and monitor back. Unable to start car or shut down ignition. Had car towed to dealer after jumping the battery to get it on a flat bed. Now driving a loaner until car fixed.

It sounds like there is something really wrong with the computer electrical systems. I'm more than a little annoyed as my last Subaru (2005 impreza wagon) blew its engine a week before Thanksgiving because all the oil was gone between oil changes of 3,000 miles. Now I have two non-working Subarus in my name. I have no hope that this will get figured out soon. Sounds too complicated for that to happen.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:10 PM

I've been having problems with the "infotainment system" as well. I have a Impreza Premium five door.

1. The touchscreen will not respond all of the time.

2. The radio is the source, and I switch to Pandora. It shows the song title on the Pandora screen and shows it is playing (the time of the song is progressing), but the radio is what is coming from the speakers.

3. Android Auto is hit and miss. More miss than hit. USB debugging fix is the solution most of the time, but sometimes it seems to cause the head unit to freeze.

In regards to a “hard reset” of the head unit. Instead of disconnecting the battery, I pulled the fuse today and it solved my problems.

I am not optimistic that it is going to work in the morning, but we will see.

I think we are going to have to suffer through this until a firmware update is released to the dealers.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialoubug View Post
I had posted this in another thread. Apologies for repeat, but I can't figure out how to link.

I've had the same issue since I bought my Subaru Impreza Sport on Jan 5.

*Jan. 11 my car had a completely black screen. No radio, no display lights. The icons -- phone, media, apps -- were lit but nothing else.
*Jan.13 dealer took car (after first telling me they couldn't see me for 10 days!?) and reset monitor. Said it was a fuse and couldn't recreate issue.
*Jan 16 Starlight ? system engaged itself and wouldn't allow radio or phone play until call was completed. Except I never engaged the system, it did it on its own.
*Jan. 17 in am Starlight system reset itself, radio and monitor working
*Jan 17 in pm -- no radio, monitor or Starlight system
*Jan 18 -- went to start car (after calling dealer) -- battery dead but radio and monitor back. Unable to start car or shut down ignition. Had car towed to dealer after jumping the battery to get it on a flat bed. Now driving a loaner until car fixed.

It sounds like there is something really wrong with the computer electrical systems. I'm more than a little annoyed as my last Subaru (2005 impreza wagon) blew its engine a week before Thanksgiving because all the oil was gone between oil changes of 3,000 miles. Now I have two non-working Subarus in my name. I have no hope that this will get figured out soon. Sounds too complicated for that to happen.
When did you buy the car? I would ask the dealer if they could just replace the unit or replace the whole car because of all this inconvenience. There's no reason you should be going through so much headache with a brand new vehicle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page