6'' Screen - Radio always comes on when car starts - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

6'' Screen - Radio always comes on when car starts

New 2017 Impreza. The radio always comes on when the car starts. Is there any way to disable this "feature"? Standard 6'' screen, no Starlink, no navigation.

I have tried turning off the radio before turning off the car, after turning off the car, but the result is always the same. The only solution I have is to turn the volume to 0, so that when it does come on automatically, I do not hear it.

There has to be a better way.

Y
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM

i don't like that one bit! i'll check this out when i test drive the base model coming in to my local dealer. i thought i'd get lucky and not have any issues going with the smaller screen. let us know if you figure something out. thanks!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Tom

Read your manuals! I believe you have to depress & hold the volume button down for maybe like 3-5 seconds to completely turn off the radio. It will beep when off. Yes, another electronic feature that is a P.I.T.A.

Mine is a 2017 Hatchback Premium with 6.5" screen
jlnrjlw likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM

There's an off and a completely off ?! What's the difference ??
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 05:47 PM
Tom

"There's an off and a completely off ?"

Yes. A mute by depressing the volume knob, volume change by rotation and OFF with the 3-5 second depression of the knob. Like I said, P.I.T.A. features now with advanced electronics. It's 2017, ya know. And no CD player to boot.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes, that is how I turn off the radio. And then it still turns itself on when I restart the car next time.

Short hold makes it go mute, longer hold turns it off which also turns the screen off. At that point I stop the car, take the key out of ignition, lock, unlock, restart the car and voila the radio is back to life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Read your manuals! I believe you have to depress & hold the volume button down for maybe like 3-5 seconds to completely turn off the radio. It will beep when off. Yes, another electronic feature that is a P.I.T.A.

Mine is a 2017 Hatchback Premium with 6.5" screen
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 PM
Tom

I stand corrected. I've not tested as you had. Maybe if you turn down the volume and then turn off with the 3-5 second depression, next time you restart the volume will be lower. Maybe.

This is the modern dilemma. Sophisticated electronics with manuals thicker than the vehicle manual. A friend got a new Audi A6 and couldn't figure out how to play a CD. Maybe he has by now.

I've looked in the manual and found the 3-5 second press, but do not know how to turn it off....maybe just turn volume way down.

Well, something I'll check out. Folks with the 8" screen have their lock-up issues. Technology! Bah, Humbug!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 AM

yeah, my current vehicle is a 2001 toyota and has power NOTHING(including acceleration - LOL). i even have to shift my own gears and my radio is just an AM/FM(who needs more when you have sports radio and NPR?) without even a cassette - for you millenials, a cassette is this rectangular plastic piece that encased a roll of audio tape between two spindles. i don't have to worry about any bugs though! still, the new impreza has my attention if they can figure out the gremlins.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Tom

Yeah, I may look in the attic and see if I have my old auto 8-track cassette player. Now there was simple sound! I remember a buddy installing a small 45 RPM record player in his canary yellow 1966 Chevy..Impala I think. Yeah, I'm a geezer. Can't help it.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Tom

I did the test today. If you turn down the radio to 0 volume and turn off the vehicle, the radio will be back on when restarted, but at 0 volume. Seems you can not simply turn the radio OFF. Another possible option is to change source to mp3 media before turning off vehicle. Nothing simple anymore.
dooflop and yp2017 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page