Software Update - Infotainment System - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Software Update - Infotainment System

There is a new software update for the infotainment system that is supposed to address the issue of 'frozen rear view camera'.

I am getting the software updated on 27 Feb. Fingers crossed this will fix it.

Cheers

Y
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 PM

I heard today when I went to test drive a sport that they stopped selling the Sport and Limited until they fix a bug that had something to do with a safety issue. It only affects those with the larger infotainment screen. Personally I think we have gotten out of hand with all the new technology. As with all technology, there is good and bad. I've tried to research this to see if there is anything about it and I can't find anything. They claimed it just happened yesterday afternoon. Or perhaps the car I was interested in was one someone else had interest in and they wanted to transfer it to someone else and that was their excuse to prevent me from making an offer on it. I wouldn't put it past a dealer to pull that crap.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSubie View Post
I've tried to research this to see if there is anything about it and I can't find anything. They claimed it just happened yesterday afternoon.
It just came out on the 24th. Here's part of the text detailing what it fixes.

"Although the main purpose for this campaign is to address operational concerns involving the rear view camera feature, software is also included in this update for the following other conditions:

1) After switching the vehicle (ACC or IGN) on, the display screen goes black with no audio output and the hard key buttons are illuminated (on solid, or ashing / blinking).

2) Time of day displayed in the MFD (Multi-Function Display) is incorrect and the arrival time displayed in Navigation units is also incorrect.

3) The time in the MFD automatically reverts back to a “default” setting, even after setting the time using “Manual” mode.

4) Audio volume goes to maximum automatically after one click of the volume up button on the steering wheel. In some cases, this condition may also occur without input from the operator. Maximum volume is also displayed on the screen."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 PM

I haven't heard of anyone experiencing number 4 but that would startle the heck out of me

Thankfully though, things are being rectified and people will have their fixes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Garage
Double post. Sorry about that.

But here's the info to call your dealer with.

Service Campaign and Recall: WTN74 | NHTSA Campaign: AWA-ITING#
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Just had the software update done and going to pick up my 2017 Impreza Sport today. Just bought it over the weekend.
Stay tuned!
Gadabout likes this.

Last edited by Subi447; 02-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:23 AM

Had mine done yesterday. Still working today! Hopefully there will be no more issues.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 PM

After 6 weeks at the dealer, mine is finally done. Will pick up tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Fortunately I have had a dealer loaner all this time but still. I want my car to drive.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:51 PM

Garage
It looked like you should be able to do software updates to the car over wifi in the 8" screen infotainment system in my Sport. Has anybody been able to try getting the update over wifi?

I also found files available to download on SubaruNet that look like .iso CD images. I'm much rather do this myself than over 1hr round trip to the dealer, plus waiting there.

I've definitely had the screen blank out, freeze/stutter, and my time is incorrect.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 PM

Software Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaciousB View Post
It looked like you should be able to do software updates to the car over wifi in the 8" screen infotainment system in my Sport. Has anybody been able to try getting the update over wifi?

I also found files available to download on SubaruNet that look like .iso CD images. I'm much rather do this myself than over 1hr round trip to the dealer, plus waiting there.

I've definitely had the screen blank out, freeze/stutter, and my time is incorrect.

The wife's new 2017 Impreza Sport decided to wipe the FM station presets today and mark them all as "Initializing". I read in another forum that this was supposedly addressed in the February 2017 update that fixed the unit freezes (backup camera issue), but appears to have not. The installed software version is Rel1.17.08.20, which I assume is the February update since we just got the car. The software update feature directly from the unit also does not work...no matter what Wi-Fi network you connect to, it establishes a connection with the server, then reports that it had a problem downloading the software update. I pulled some packet captures of the traffic (TLS1.2 traffic, so it is at least encrypted), but it appears to talk to an Amazon Linux AMI server on an EC2 instance at 52.4.86.6. HTTP'ing to that IP drops you to an NGINX splash page. I'm sure there is more to it than a splash page (or so I hope), but it'll take a bit more time to figure out what exactly it is doing and if there is more to it than a default page.

The pcap includes some personally identifying hardware data, but if anyone is interested in portions of it, I may be able to sanitize the data and upload it.

Also, in case anyone cares, the wireless NIC in the unit appears to be made by Wistron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.57.01 PM.png
Views:	261
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	1426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.57.29 PM.png
Views:	255
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	1434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.57.56 PM.png
Views:	253
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1442  

Last edited by iMouse; 04-27-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page