Running power cable through the firewall. - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Running power cable through the firewall.

Has anyone ran a cable from the engine compartment into the cabin yet? I'd like to eventually put a ham radio in my impreza and will need to power it directly from the battery. Are there some exiting pathways that can be utilized? I'm also curious if anyone has removed any of the interior trim pieces and how that's done. Since the car is new I want the install to be as clean as possible. This project is probably a ways off but it's never too early to start collecting info and researching!
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw0rm View Post
Has anyone ran a cable from the engine compartment into the cabin yet? I'd like to eventually put a ham radio in my impreza and will need to power it directly from the battery. Are there some exiting pathways that can be utilized? I'm also curious if anyone has removed any of the interior trim pieces and how that's done. Since the car is new I want the install to be as clean as possible. This project is probably a ways off but it's never too early to start collecting info and researching!
I know the previous generation Impreza was pretty easy like two screws. You gotta get some plastic pry tools from Harbor Freight or somewhere to pry the trim off. I haven't had the need to take the door trims off this car yet. Maybe check out YouTube there might be tutorial videos on there.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:57 AM

No need to run thru the firewall. I've found there's a few energized empty fuses in either off or ACC in the driver side side interior fuse box. The hot side seems to switch by column left or right. Use a multi-meter to find what you need.
Gadabout likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:34 PM

I'll follow this thread! I've been looking for a clean way through the firewall myself for my radio set up too. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

K7ALO DE AD0TA

Just curious what kind of rig you are thinking about running and how/where you might want to mount it? I'm considering an Icom IC-880h. I think Id use a goose-neck seat bolt mount for the control head and the rf deck would go under the drivers seat.

Robert
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:40 AM

AD0TA de K7ALO

I will be running a Yaesu FT857 with a goose neck mounted to the seat bolt and radio underneath the seat just as you have described! I don't have an HF setup yet for mobile, only 2m and 70cm. I ran the same setup in my Jetta TDI before the buyback, and it worked out well. I still cannot find an easy way through the firewall with the Impreza, however.

Alex
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Need help on battery lead to car cabin too !!!

Help!

I'll need the battery power for a small trailer's lighting setup and I'll need it before April 15 or I pay another month of trailer storage. Newer lighting kits isolate your trailer lighting from your car's lighting with a little black box drawing the main power from a direct battery connection. Under-hood view is a maze of stuff that snakes into plastic boxes and goes God knows where.

Anyone out there with experience on this even with an earlier/different Subaru? Any suggestions for a unused/unswitched circuit in the car cabin fuse box?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:34 AM

The interior driver side fuse box has some empty slots that are energized.

Fuse 12 & 27 are hot all the time. Hot side is on the right contact.

Fuse 1 is hot on ACC/ON. Hot side is on the left contact.

The fuses are Low Profile Mini. Just need this fuse tap and you're all set:
https://www.amazon.com/Shipping-CIRC...ile+mini&psc=1

This is for my Premium model, not sure if other models are the same.
pprknight likes this.

Last edited by vertrkr; 03-26-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM

OK! Thanks. With the warm day today I'm going to crawl in there and try it out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertrkr View Post
The interior driver side fuse box has some empty slots that are energized.

Fuse 12 & 27 are hot all the time. Hot side is on the right contact.

Fuse 1 is hot on ACC/ON. Hot side is on the left contact.

The fuses are Low Profile Mini. Just need this fuse tap and you're all set:
https://www.amazon.com/Shipping-CIRC...ile+mini&psc=1

This is for my Premium model, not sure if other models are the same.
Thanks again. This worked out fine; I have the Premium model also. Used the fuse 27 for the trailer lighting.

The harness instructions for the Tekonsha 118573 had you go direct to the battery. They provided a wire that looked like it could work for Niagara Falls level power but then gave a 10 amp fuse for the line. I guess the fuse box can take 10 amps without issue. It sure was a lot easier than getting through the firewall.

Of some note however, the Tekonsha 118573 trailer lighting kit that fit 2012 and "later" Imprezas, does not fit 2017 models. "Later" must stop around 2016. Part of this 80%-95% all new business has gone all the way down to the tail light socket connections. Big chunky 6 pole to smaller 4 pole to my eye. Custom trailer lighting units that used those older sockets do not mate now. Etrailer site has now indicated there is no custom fit trailer lighting available - I wish they had called me. Darn - it was one of things that steered me to the Impreza and away from the Golf Sportswagen! If you've made the purchase and not opened up the kit see if you can return it for a generic splice-in unit. On the plus side, wiring can now be done inside the car. Having the connection outside in the taillight "bucket" in the PA slush and salt had me a little concerned. Going to the dealer for a install may open up a "Thou shalt not pull a trailer with thy Impreza" discussion. Tell em its for extra lights for your bike rack or a ?????

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page