Adding Starlink Apps - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Adding Starlink Apps

Several of the recent emails and print publications from Subaru mentioned the eBird app as something you could add to your Starlink system. I'm not into bird watching, but thought I would try adding it just for fun. I have a 5-door Impreza Premium with the 6.5" screen and so far I have been unable to figure out how to add it in. I even had the dealer try when I took it in for the ECM recall. They were sure it could be done, but were unable to figure out how to do it. They said they would research and get back to me, but that was 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything. Has anyone had luck in doing this?
NoData likes this.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:48 PM

I'm intrigued...

I wonder if this is done by adding the Starlink app to your cell phone?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/suba...786199885?mt=8

"The SUBARU STARLINK app works as a gateway to bring added content, such as Internet radio, weather, news, and more to your Subaru in-vehicle multimedia system. When new content becomes available, your STARLINK system is updated automatically and content is pushed to your screen in real-time. Available in all 2016 and later Subaru models. Also available on selected 2015 models. Please note that the STARLINK app must be started on your smartphone before you connect or pair it to your Subaru."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansutter View Post
Several of the recent emails and print publications from Subaru mentioned the eBird app as something you could add to your Starlink system. I'm not into bird watching, but thought I would try adding it just for fun. I have a 5-door Impreza Premium with the 6.5" screen and so far I have been unable to figure out how to add it in. I even had the dealer try when I took it in for the ECM recall. They were sure it could be done, but were unable to figure out how to do it. They said they would research and get back to me, but that was 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything. Has anyone had luck in doing this?
You need to first download the Starlink app > Connect your device > Click Subaru Starlink on the infotainment system > The apps should appear > Click the scroll button on the right > the eBird app will be there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1897  

Last edited by 1stsubie; 05-24-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: photo upload, text add

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsubie View Post
You need to first download the Starlink app > Connect your device > Click Subaru Starlink > The apps should appear > Click the scroll button on the right > the eBird app will be there.
There's also other apps such as iHeartRadio, Magellan Navi, Best Parking, Yelp, eBird of course & others. Once you click the app it should just open up. I clicked the eBird for curiosity & it took a few seconds to load. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I have the Starlink app on my iPhone. I have downloaded a couple of the Starlink compatible apps onto my phone. I connect my phone up to car via USB. I launch the StarLink app on my phone, but no apps appear either on my phone or on the screen of my car. Is there another step I am missing?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I have the Starlink app on my iPhone. I have downloaded a couple of the Starlink compatible apps onto my phone. I connect my phone up to car via USB. I launch the StarLink app on my phone, but no apps appear either on my phone or on the screen of my car. Is there another step I am missing?
My bad I left out this part: so once your phone is connected via USB, select Subaru Starlink ON THE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM (not on your phone) & the apps will appear. Sorry.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I think I have figured out what is going on. I don't have the Subaru Starlink app on my infotainment system. Dug back into the manuals and found a small asterisk which says the Starlink app is on "8-inch systems only". I have a premium, which only has the 6.5" screen. Looks like there is some significant differences in the infotainment systems other than screen size.
NoData likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Ok, I think I have figured out what is going on. I don't have the Subaru Starlink app on my infotainment system. Dug back into the manuals and found a small asterisk which says the Starlink app is on "8-inch systems only". I have a premium, which only has the 6.5" screen. Looks like there is some significant differences in the infotainment systems other than screen size.
Oh your more than welcome though no problem at all
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Alan: Thank you for letting us know about this. I also have the Premium and after playing with this a while I gave up, figuring I was doing something wrong or that perhaps I needed to pay for the upgraded Starlink subscription. I will delete the Starlink app from my cell phone.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Should have got the Sport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page