any wiggle room? - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

any wiggle room?

hello! i just joined and my family and i have been looking for a 2017 in the base level trim with the CVT. most the dealers act like they can't work on price too much, but i was curious if anyone was able to negotiate the price down at all? i realize i'm not going to get it super-cheap, but what's a good discount to go for?

thanks!
jlnrjlw likes this.
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 AM

Got mine below list / no haggle

I got my Impreza Premium for $1100 below list. My local Subaru dealer uses a "No Haggle" policy. A few other people in here got some good deals like that as well.

Something you might want to consider if your dealer is being stubborn. If you are not doing a trade-in, buy the Impreza though a different dealer and just have it shipped to yours. You're going to pay the destination fee either way, so it doesn't really matter which dealer cashes your check. I just picked up mine the other day and there are currently no rebates available. The only financing offer was 1.9%, but I just bought mine.

If you want my local dealers contact info, let me know.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM

I would say just get quotes from a couple dealers and start playing the cards. Remember, you can always say no and walk out. Don't let them pressure you into believing anything.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Tom

A year ago I bought a '16 Outback and last month I bought a '17 Impreza. Both times I used the Costco system, got a quote from a dealer in the Costco system & took it to my nearby dealer who met the price. About $2,400 less than MSRP. Others have haggled, worked harder and no doubt gotten even better prices, but I'm just not interested in the effort.

I may have bought the first '17 Impreza from the dealer as they had just arrived, and they had just what I was looking for in color and trim model. Lucky me. The Costco method has simply saved me time & money.

your mileage may vary
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM

That's pretty cool, I tend to forget going the Costco route saves you a fair chunk for being a member. It's worth the try and something is always better than nothing and for the convenience, you really can't go wrong. But if you have all the time in the world, then I would go with the method above and try to fish around different dealerships, once they aren't owned by the same guy
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I've been putting-off a new car purchase for a few years(my Toyota just crossed the 200k mark) because I dislike 'playing the game'. I know that's the only way to get a deal and- unfortunately- avoid being taken, but it's just so much work. The salespeople around here have already started with their classic lines like 'we can't keep these on the lot' so I've been thrust into battle!

I have a pretty specific model I want(sedan, no options except CVT, color not super-important but i do want the black cloth interior). I feel that if I have the dealers order it in for me, as they have offered, I'll have less negotiating power than if I 'stumble' across one on a lot- I check local inventories online frequently. So right now I'm just being patient until I see what I want in a 50 mile radius and then I'll move- the wife has already given her blessing so we're golden! I will look into that Costco idea also.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Always wait to the end of the month when the dealers are hard up to make their quota so they can get their kick back bonuses from Subaru.
You will have more negotiating power. Keep in mind that this is a new model year so they are "selling themselves" (as the dealer will tell you).
Money talks.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Remember when it comes to Costco acting as a auto broker, each individual dealership bargains their own price reduction. The Costco member price will be different per dealer.
I have been able to get one dealer down to $22,767. The next best price I found was $22, 819.
But remember you get a $200 coupon toward accessories and such from Costco. That could cut a remote start system in half.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 PM

I don't know if you would comfortable with this but I was able to negotiate over text messaging. I bought a 17 Impreza Sport fully loaded with everything but the highest speaker system (moonroof, eyesight detection, rear breaking, etc) that was listed at $26,600. I originally offered $24,000 and ended up paying $24,600. I didn't have a trade in. The text messaging kept it completely unemotional and gave me time to think about what I wanted to say.
jlnrjlw, Quince and dooflop like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM

That's pretty legit, I haven't known anyone to do the negotiations over text message but I can see how that would take a lot of the stress out of it. But I do agree that if they have to order it in, you may lose a fair bit of your negotiation "ammunition".

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page