new 17 Limited > screen frozen on backup screen! - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

new 17 Limited > screen frozen on backup screen!

We just drove our new Limited 5-door home (!yay)
However, the first time we took it back out though the screen froze on the backup camera - and it's stuck there.

We've tried turning off the car and locking everything a couple times, took it for a drive, and it's still frozen on the same backup image and touchscreen controls not responding.

Any thoughts? obviously we'll call the dealer in the morning , but this seems like it should be simple right?

a little .. um. unsettling, but it's obviously one of the first off the line.
dooflop likes this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Wow...sorry to hear that ! Hopefully it is a simple fix. Keep us posted !! Yep, I'm a little concerned buying a new model year myself, but I have done it several times before and never had any problems. Enjoy your new ride......mine is due in February.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Looks like the system rebooted overnight and works again (so far)
crossing fingers it's not an ongoing problem-

Anyone know if there's a setting to keep the radio from automatically turning on everytime you start the car?
subie4me and dooflop like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:30 PM

I think you may have to turn the radio off before turning the vehicle off and it'll stay off until you turn it back on individually ? That sounded kinda confusing, I hope my point got across lol.

Nonetheless, I would let the dealership know what happened just so they have it on file in case you do need to take it back.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM

Garage
Hey Capital, looks like we both had a similar problem, except mine was frozen on the "Safety Instruction" screen. I just posted up in the "Electronics, Audio, and Lighting" section. Look for a post called "8" with Navi frozen screen issue"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capital View Post
Looks like the system rebooted overnight and works again (so far)
crossing fingers it's not an ongoing problem-

Anyone know if there's a setting to keep the radio from automatically turning on everytime you start the car?
This radio thing is also bothering me! Not only that, but mine switches from CarPlay to radio when I turn off the car. I turn the car off, take the key out of ignition, the radio comes on and stays on until I open the door. It's super annoying.

I saw elsewhere on this forum that pressing the power button only mutes the deck, that you can turn off the deck by holding the power button down for 5 seconds. I don't know if that's the solution though—not sure that I want to stay in the car pushing down the radio button for 5 seconds (as nice as sitting in the new car is)...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Anyone notice that majority of the new cars have infotainment issues... or is it just me lol.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 PM

I've had the same issue since I bought my Subaru Impreza Sport on Jan 5.
*Jan. 11 my car had a completely black screen. No radio, no display lights. The icons -- phone, media, apps -- were lit but nothing else.
*Jan.13 dealer took care and reset monitor. Said it was a fuse and couldn't recreate issue.
*Jan 16 Starlight ? system engaged itself and wouldn't allow radio or phone play until call was completed. except I never engaged the system, it did it on its own.
*Jan. 17 in am Starlight system reset itself, radio and monitor working
*Jan 17 in pm -- no radio, monitor or Starlight system
*Jan 18 -- went to start car (after calling dealer) -- battery dead but radio and monitor back. Unable to start car or shut down ignition. Had car towed to dealer after jumping the battery to get it on a flat bed. Now driving a loaner until car fixed.

It sounds like there is something really wrong with the computer electrical systems. I'm more than a little annoyed as my last Subaru (2005 impreza wagon) blew its engine a week before Thanksgiving because all the oil was gone between oil changes of 3,000 miles. Now I have two non-working Subarus in my name. I have no hope that this will get figured out soon. Sounds too complicated for that to happen.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Life long owner of many Subi. For many years Subaru has had problems with there Nav/stereo systems. Even the McIntosh stereos in the 2000-2004 Outback Limited models had problems.
Research the mass problem Subaru owners had with the '15+ Outback infotainment/nav systems. It is said that a minimum of 40% of the head units were/are defective. I purchased a '15 Outback premium when they first came out. In the 6 months of ownership (before trading it in for another brand of vehicle) I had three (3) stereo/nav head units replaced amongst other fit and finish problems and issues, the notorius wind noise issue, sticking gas cap, etc. Subaru had ZERO fix or explaination for the head units and just kept replaceing them. They played dumb and wouldn't admit to it becoming a mass problem. More and more the forums were filling with people reporting their issues with the head units... amongst the other problems.

I am interested in the new '17 Impreza sport, so I went to the local Subaru service department and asked specifically about the head units. They acknowledged the huge problem with the '15+ Outback head units and said they are made by a different manufacturer now. As people are starting to report problems with these, I'm beginning to doubt it.
I got to test drive one and sit in it and play with the sound system head unit. Just in the 30 mins I had with it, I experienced some glitchiness. Unresponsiveness to touch, Pandora playing with no sound, etc.

I only reason I don't suggest people to wait on purchasing one is only because interest rates are most likely going to skyrocket very soon here.
Otherwise I would say wait another year so Subaru can work out their bugs... unless you want to be in the dealer regularly like I was and losing work and money to deal with the car.

Last edited by Nunyobiz007; 01-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Hi - your last issue with battery dead but screen back on sounds like what happened with my brand new Ltd - I just posted a thread on it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page