[RANT] my 2017 Impreza Sport- disappointment - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
[RANT] my 2017 Impreza Sport- disappointment

To start with - please don't accuse me of trolling. I'm a real owner, and if the forum admins want proof I can send it to them.

So I was really excited about getting the new 2017 Impreza Sport. I read about it before hand, and knew it didn't have a strong engine, but boy I didn't realize how weak it really is. Shows you how a test drive at the dealership don't reveal anything about the car.

I mean - Subaru created a "Sport" model, but everything about it is cosmetic, "Where's the Beef?" You have a 2 litter engine- see what other manufacturers create out of the same engine size. but Subaru went conservative - 150 HP. Sad.

I think the decision to put 7 gears in the CVT gearbox was a big mistake. it is clearly made for fuel consumption (which is not impressive either - 21 mpg), but with an engine so anemic, the CVT gear box kills it even further. No response! passing cars means lower shifting twice just to get any response from the engine. And if you want to go manual, shifting from 1st to 2nd is like shifting from 1st to 5th - the drop in RPM is so big, the car just doesnít move.
In the first 2 weeks I went to the dealer twice. The first night I got the car, the battery died! Service said it was a loose connector that caused the battery to drain. Second time the audio system blanked. Service claimed it reverted to an older version causing the issue. How ? I didn't connect it to WiFi to update the version.

So much for reliability.

What's the deal with not installing auto-locking doors? Every car has them now. I live in Los Angeles - do you know how many times I had creeps trying to open my car's doors ? I have small kids. I can't afford not having my doors locked ! So at least make the lock button big and easy to access. Instead Subaru made it so small and hide it in the door console.

What's with that Multi-function display at the top of the console ? of about 8 screens you have:

1. info screen on how to change it - Useless
2. weather forecast which doesn't make sense because all you see is the icons (Sun, Moon, Clouds), no temps - not to mention that once my Sat radio subscription expires Iím not going to renew it so the weather info is a bust - Useless
3. Electric components operating status screen : you think Iím going to find out from that screen that one of my break lights is out ? think again! -Useless.
4. Audio Screen - I have an 8" screen for that, so why do I need another one ? - Useless
5. Fuel consumption screen - Don't i have that in the main console ? - Useless
6. Clock screen... Really? another one ?
7. Prevention safety screen - Say shat now ? you want to tell me that knowing what angle the car is or the angle of the steering makes things safer for me ? And what's with those wheels and the green lines around it ? - Useless
8. Favorites screen - coolant temp, oil temp - is that even an option ?

Birthday Reminders ? I think my smartphone can do better - Useless

Did we say "Sport" ? Red plastic stitches and fake carbon trimming ? check and check... (Yes, I saw that at the dealer, no surprises here but still - you could go a little high end here).

36 months lease term - it's going to be long and boring...
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoson View Post
To start with - please don't accuse me of trolling. I'm a real owner, and if the forum admins want proof I can send it to them.

So I was really excited about getting the new 2017 Impreza Sport. I read about it before hand, and knew it didn't have a strong engine, but boy I didn't realize how weak it really is. Shows you how a test drive at the dealership don't reveal anything about the car.

I mean - Subaru created a "Sport" model, but everything about it is cosmetic, "Where's the Beef?" You have a 2 litter engine- see what other manufacturers create out of the same engine size. but Subaru went conservative - 150 HP. Sad.

I think the decision to put 7 gears in the CVT gearbox was a big mistake. it is clearly made for fuel consumption (which is not impressive either - 21 mpg), but with an engine so anemic, the CVT gear box kills it even further. No response! passing cars means lower shifting twice just to get any response from the engine. And if you want to go manual, shifting from 1st to 2nd is like shifting from 1st to 5th - the drop in RPM is so big, the car just doesnít move.
In the first 2 weeks I went to the dealer twice. The first night I got the car, the battery died! Service said it was a loose connector that caused the battery to drain. Second time the audio system blanked. Service claimed it reverted to an older version causing the issue. How ? I didn't connect it to WiFi to update the version.

So much for reliability.

What's the deal with not installing auto-locking doors? Every car has them now. I live in Los Angeles - do you know how many times I had creeps trying to open my car's doors ? I have small kids. I can't afford not having my doors locked ! So at least make the lock button big and easy to access. Instead Subaru made it so small and hide it in the door console.

What's with that Multi-function display at the top of the console ? of about 8 screens you have:

1. info screen on how to change it - Useless
2. weather forecast which doesn't make sense because all you see is the icons (Sun, Moon, Clouds), no temps - not to mention that once my Sat radio subscription expires Iím not going to renew it so the weather info is a bust - Useless
3. Electric components operating status screen : you think Iím going to find out from that screen that one of my break lights is out ? think again! -Useless.
4. Audio Screen - I have an 8" screen for that, so why do I need another one ? - Useless
5. Fuel consumption screen - Don't i have that in the main console ? - Useless
6. Clock screen... Really? another one ?
7. Prevention safety screen - Say shat now ? you want to tell me that knowing what angle the car is or the angle of the steering makes things safer for me ? And what's with those wheels and the green lines around it ? - Useless
8. Favorites screen - coolant temp, oil temp - is that even an option ?

Birthday Reminders ? I think my smartphone can do better - Useless

Did we say "Sport" ? Red plastic stitches and fake carbon trimming ? check and check... (Yes, I saw that at the dealer, no surprises here but still - you could go a little high end here).

36 months lease term - it's going to be long and boring...
Post some pics of your car on here then if your not "trolling"
2017SportHatch, NoData and ndun like this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 PM

Not trying to be a smart A here but why buy/lease the car if you don't like it? You are blaming Subaru when the fault is actually your own. When we test drove ours we went over EVERYTHING this car could and couldn't do. And I do mean EVERYTHING. We drove this car for about an hour on the highway, side streets, and many starts and stops. I get the engine isn't what a WRX is but if you think the Impreza is lacking you should drive a CrossTrek. Which we also own. My wife's Impreza feels so much faster than my XV and is way more refined. I get it is mostly cosmetic in reference to the "Sport" model, but the suspension and active torque vector steering actually make a huge difference. Drive one of the other models aggressively and you will beg to get back in your Sport. I hate you aren't happy, as a consumer you should be happy with any purchase. I am sure I am not the only one happy with their Impreza Sport, and I am sure you aren't the only one unhappy. But due diligence on a consumer's part makes car buying what it is.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017SportHatch View Post
Not trying to be a smart A here but why buy/lease the car if you don't like it? You are blaming Subaru when the fault is actually your own. When we test drove ours we went over EVERYTHING this car could and couldn't do. And I do mean EVERYTHING. We drove this car for about an hour on the highway, side streets, and many starts and stops. I get the engine isn't what a WRX is but if you think the Impreza is lacking you should drive a CrossTrek. Which we also own. My wife's Impreza feels so much faster than my XV and is way more refined. I get it is mostly cosmetic in reference to the "Sport" model, but the suspension and active torque vector steering actually make a huge difference. Drive one of the other models aggressively and you will beg to get back in your Sport. I hate you aren't happy, as a consumer you should be happy with any purchase. I am sure I am not the only one happy with their Impreza Sport, and I am sure you aren't the only one unhappy. But due diligence on a consumer's part makes car buying what it is.
EXACTLY, I totally agree with what 2017SportHatch said
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 PM

Did you buy the car blindly? No test drive? No noticing of these things per-purchase?

As for "nothing" different with sport, there is much different. Drive a non-sport and you'll see that immediately.

- Different wheels/tires

- Torque vectoring

- Stiffer suspension

- Thicker sway bars

- Larger brakes

Other things different - Exterior bumper cover and grill, seats, dash parts, rear spoiler, roof rack delete, and a few others.

Totally agree it should be offered with 250hp or more, but it is far sportier to drive than the other models. I know, as we spent about 45 minutes with each.

Sounds like you didn't spend enough time with this car before purchasing. The reliability issues are inexcusable and not right. I'd be pissed with those, too, but I am on my second car (arriving June 12) due to a lemon law claim on my first!

Sorry you don't like it. I enjoy mine, and it fits what I expected.
1stsubie likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 01:53 PM

LOVE my '17 Limited with all the bells and whistles! THANKS VW! I knew the engine was weanie, I didn't need more power, I knew going in that this was not WRX territory. Sorry you're not happy, but with all your complaints, you'd probably have a tough time find something you'd be happy with anyway...should have bought a used WRX.....
1stsubie and ndun like this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Now THIS is what I like about impreza5.com - open discussions without the immature name-calling you see other places! The responses have been very pleasant(even sympathetic) to what could have been pretty nasty. Yes...the OP took a risk posting, but he/she clearly stated in the topic it was a 'rant' and the details were very specific(I doubt it's just someone just trying to stir stuff up). If you have a problem hearing other people's opinions you wouldn't have accidentally stumbled upon it. No thread-jacking here!

My hope is that that the OP stays around and maybe with help from the friendly members here learns more about the car and makes a bad situation a little better!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:08 PM

Oops!

Last edited by yourluckystars; 05-27-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Double-post-sorry!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourluckystars View Post
Now THIS is what I like about impreza5.com - open discussions without the immature name-calling you see other places! The responses have been very pleasant(even sympathetic) to what could have been pretty nasty. Yes...the OP took a risk posting, but he/she clearly stated in the topic it was a 'rant' and the details were very specific(I doubt it's just someone just trying to stir stuff up). If you have a problem hearing other people's opinions you wouldn't have accidentally stumbled upon it. No thread-jacking here!

My hope is that that the OP stays around and maybe with help from the friendly members here learns more about the car and makes a bad situation a little better!
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this owner is uneducated about the Impreza & it's unique features that the other models don't have. We look forward to hearing from the original thread poster so we can educate him or her on the features of the vehicle so they can enjoy their Impreza to the max. Like 2017SportHatch & ImprezaSport21 have pointed out, it has the bigger 18" wheels, Active Torque Vectoring (a feature I love when taking loopy exit ramps, sport tuned suspension, paddle shifters & plus all the interior upgrades. The multi function display is a feature I use all the time especially the screen with the overview of the four wheels with degrees of slope or incline? This car has plenty of "beef". Kinda sucks the cruise control only goes to 90 MPH
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsubie View Post
Post some pics of your car on here then if your not "trolling"
Here you go :
First day trip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page