Front strut tower brace - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Front strut tower brace

Has anyone installed the STi front tower brace? Seems like a fairly easy and inexpensive mod but will there but that much of a noticeable difference to the ride or cornering on everyday driving to justify doing it?
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:50 PM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage
Pretty happy with the cornering the way it is stock, if I was racing SCCA I might consider firming it up a bit but I am not racing this car.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:45 PM

The strut brace isn't for firming the car up like sway bars or stiffer shocks. It's for preventing chassis flex independent of the suspension, reducing wandering etc. Incidentally, subispeed sells the brace as a JDM part, but Subaru has it as a 2018 Crosstrek accessory. Cheapest I've found it so far is $329. I also see there's a Subaru trailer hitch and wiring listed for the Crosstrek. Seems like that should work on the Impreza too.

2.0i Base, MT5. Only the necessities, plus a few extras... like custom center console tray, phone holder, sunglass holder, rear seat AC vent, COBB shift lever & Rallisport engine tune w/o rev hang.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Subaru posted this video in 2012 on it. Kind of seems like paid actors if you ask me but they seem to push it more as a safety feature. For 300 some odd dollars if it makes the car handle and corner as well as the video shows seems like a no brainer to have it on your car. Subispeed claims it keeps rough roads from compromising ride comfort as well. Cheapest I found is $311 on Subaru parts for you dot com. Here?s the video from Subaru https://youtu.be/jVLo8FtjQSY
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:44 PM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage
In another year you will be able to buy them made by other companies for around a hundred bucks. A bar is just a bar.
Su Baru likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:31 PM

CUSCO is coming out with an Impreza bar shortly. The part number is going to be 699-540-A retailing for $200. They expect to have them June 22nd or there abouts.

A bar is not just a bar, some spend more time and engineering and materials then others do making one better than another though you might not need what extras were provided by a different provider than one you chose.

I will put one on my car just because I think it helps maintain the integrity of the car. Example, Mini Coopers experience the strut towers moving towards each other (pot holes etc)and there is no fix from Mini. Perhaps if a bar was installed it very well may havent prevented it. (moving together would cause alignment problems)

CJ if I may ask, what bars have you used in the past that makes you think they are all the same?

FYI, I dont work for CUSCO, my information is from an email response to my question about availability for our cars.

Bob

2017 Sport Crystal White Pearl 4Dr
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:51 PM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlushbox4Me View Post
The strut brace isn't for firming the car up like sway bars or stiffer shocks. It's for preventing chassis flex independent of the suspension, reducing wandering etc.
Thanks man, I am 55 years old, this isn't my first rodeo.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reig3 View Post
CUSCO is coming out with an Impreza bar shortly. The part number is going to be 699-540-A retailing for $200. They expect to have them June 22nd or there abouts.
Bob
I have not been able to find this actually available from anywhere in North America outside of one eBay seller. Only one retailer from Japan. Anyone have another source for this?

2018 Impreza Sport CVT Lithium Red Pearl
2017 Forester Premium CVT Carbide Grey
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglite View Post
I have not been able to find this actually available from anywhere in North America outside of one eBay seller. Only one retailer from Japan. Anyone have another source for this?
I have both the front and rear Cusco strut bars installed on my 50th anniversary edition 5 door.

I bought them from Japanparts here:

Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar - https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/53708

Cusco Rear Strut Tower Bar - https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/53709

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1s1x300 View Post
I have both the front and rear Cusco strut bars installed on my 50th anniversary edition 5 door.
They look great. Thanks for the links. Looks like you had to make some small cuts in the rear tray for the rear bar. Did you have to do any other custom work below the tray to bolt the rear one in?

2018 Impreza Sport CVT Lithium Red Pearl
2017 Forester Premium CVT Carbide Grey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page