5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Dragging clutch?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fredriv 
#1 ·
Hey people's,

Hope you guys had a great New year's. I'm reaching out for some insight about an issue I've been noticing becoming more and more since buying my car. I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza Sport 5MT, purchased brand new.

I've noticed that every once and awhile, I will start from a stop, go into first no problem, depress cluch, get up to speed, press clutch, neutral, and then attempt second gear, only to get greeted by a fantastic sound of syncro s slapping the gears. I then proceed to try again, knowing I am fully pressed in with the clutch, to yet again be greeted with a small grind, then I need to depress, and repress the clutch, and it goes in peachy. This all happens in a matter of 4-5 seconds as i frantically try to put it in gear. It'll happen once and a while in third, but not nearly as bad.

This doesn't happen all the time, and it's bugging the crap out of me when it happens because ik this sort of messup and do some serious wear on the syncros. And I may have to adjust my habits as well, which is why I'm looking for some insight about this.

It could very well be I'm a terrible shifter.

I look forward to everyone chiming in about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That sounds like you might have air in the clutch hydraulics, or be low on fluid. Either of those would cause the clutch to not be fully disengaged. Also possible that the clutch pedal connection to the master cylinder is misadjusted and full clutch pedal travel is not actuating the master cylinder far enough for full clutch disengagement. I would definitely take it to the dealership to be checked out. Definitely not normal for this transmission.

#3 ·
Do you hold the shifter when driving? There are so many manual drivers that will hold their shift nobs when the car is in gear and it drives me crazy. The only time you should be touching that is if the clutch is disengaged. I know a lot of drivers who hold the shifter during take off because it's a very short time between 1, 2, and 3. And I've seen many cars with damaged syncros for 2nd gear.

#4 ·
Hey Krim, I generally do not rest my hand on the shifter. I'd come to the conclusion that it was my impatience with the transition of clutch press, to shift, to clutch release. These cars don't really like fast shifting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.