Oil burning tsb 02-175-18 - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Oil burning tsb 02-175-18

I just took my son's 17 Impreza Limited into the shop yesterday to have the radio TSB done to upgrade the firmware to fix all of the HK head unit gremlins. The tech knows me well and looked for other TSB's while I was there. He came back out to the bay with a new PCV valve and PCV hose. He stated that the TSB is mostly for the manual transmission cars as they have oil burning issues due to the higher revving but that it also applies to the CVT trannys if you want it done. He removed the PCV in less than 5 minutes and showed me that the interior valve is plastic and does not perform well. The new one has an all metal valve and the opening is larger. The hose was the same but they replace it too. He replaced the valve and said, even though you had no oil burning, this should ensure you never do

You all may want to check with your dealer to see if they'll do the TSB on your CVT car but should DEFINITELY be done on all manual tranny cars.
SkierDave and mattholmes134 like this.

Subaru Ambassador
2017 5DR Limited w/ES/NAV
WeatherTech Floor Mats
Crosstrek Plastic Rear Bumper Cover
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 AM

****, I was just at the dealer yesterday trying to get my stuttering fixed and to get my radio updated, wish they had checked for this TSB as well.
hockeykid53 likes this.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 PM

hey guys and gals. New to the forum as i have had many gremlins with infotainment and other issues. I currently have 36k on my 2017 that ive had since april 2017. I change my oil about every 5000 miles. I've been using top tier oil and or the subaru oil. 3 of the last 5 oil changes i've been burning excessive oil. engine light comes on around 4000k. Went through the channels within customer service, had local deal do the consumption test. failed. Short blocked ordered. Dropped my car off, dealer had for almost a week, called me up and told me about the bulletin with the PCV. All fixed now...I'm picking her up tomorrow morning. I will post back after the next couple changes here. I'd like to hear others feedback as well.

2017 Impreza hatch, Sport, 5sp Manual

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up, appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'17 Impreza Sport-Tech
'90 4A-GE, '00 1ZZ-FE
'88 VW MKII, '88 Datsun

R.I.P. LM. 05/13
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Replacing the PCV is supposed to have a dramatic effect on the cars with a MANUAL TRANNY. I hope something this simple is the answer to your problem. I watched him do it and it literally took less than 10 minutes to swap it out...all you need is a socket and some teflon tape to seal the threads on the revised PCV. Good luck my friend!

Subaru Ambassador
WeatherTech Floor Mats
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 PM

Makes sense. Less pressure in the crankcase means less oil will be forced past the piston rings
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrniceguy8211 View Post
Makes sense. Less pressure in the crankcase means less oil will be forced past the piston rings

Yeah but it's put back through the intake to deposit in the manifold and the backs of the valves where no fuel ever moves past to clean it out because of direct injection. This isn't a fix, it's a temporary band-aid that pushes the issue down the road until after the warranty expires.

Edit: On second thought, I do admit carbon buildup in the upper intake is better than burning oil. At least you can run some seafoam or other cleaner through.

------------------------------------------------
2017 Impreza Sport CVT Carbide Gray
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Last edited by VladSI; 08-10-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 PM

I'm wondering what the part number for the new pcv valve is in case someone wants to DIY. If someone that's had this done has time, I'd appreciate it.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexi View Post
I'm wondering what the part number for the new pcv valve is in case someone wants to DIY. If someone that's had this done has time, I'd appreciate it.
I just looked for my paperwork and can't find it or I would happily post it for you. If you call the dealer, they will share the part number referenced in the TSB. Why DIY it if Subaru will pay for it?

Subaru Ambassador
WeatherTech Floor Mats
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 PM

I completely understand where you're coming from. It looks like the pcv valve threads into the block, and I guess putting a new metal valve into a hot aluminum block makes me nervous, even though I'm sure techs do stuff like that all day long with spark plugs, fasteners, lots of things. But for less than $20, I wouldn't have to make an appointment, and could do it at home when I know the engine is stone cold. We'll see though, not something that needs to be done immediately.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page