Charcoal filter removal - Page 2 - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
So there’s really a charcoal filter? Does it remove offensive odors from the engine’s intake air?

My other car is a 2005 GTO
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
Taking out any filter put in by an engine designer to protect the engine is just looking for problems down the road in my opinion.
I've have had a charcoal canister that the "wonderful" designers put on an engine in the 80's cause issues. I'll pass on charcoal in the intake system.

Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmbkr View Post
So there’s really a charcoal filter? Does it remove offensive odors from the engine’s intake air?
You are joking right???

Subaru Ambassador
2017 5DR Limited w/ES/NAV
WeatherTech Floor Mats
Crosstrek Plastic Rear Bumper Cover

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Garage
Nope. What's the point of a charcoal filter in the intake? All you need is a basic media filter to remove dust and debris.

I'm assuming it's an activated charcoal filter. That's generally used to absorb volatile (highly evaporative) substances from water or air, like chlorine from water, or bad smells from the fridge.

I'm happy to be wrong. Maybe there's some other use for charcoal in a filter?

My other car is a 2005 GTO
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 AM

This is why that little filter is there

"In a conventional vehicle, unburned gas fumes can escape through the engine’s air intake once the engine is shut off. To prevent this, Subaru PZEVs are equipped with a charcoal canister in the air intake that absorbs these evaporative hydrocarbon emissions."

Under "Dual-filtration air-intake system"
https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...ebPageID=17567
mdmbkr likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM

Garage
How often should it be replaced then...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
How often should it be replaced then...?
I don't believe there is a replacement interval. It's not actually filtering any particles, so it's not like it can get clogged up over time. Some might argue that it could trap any particles that get by the engine air filter, and clog up that way.. But it's really not something I'd worry about.

Here's a little more information on the topic as well.

http://www.dacie.ca/pdfs/Mann%20&%20...bon%20Trap.pdf
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM

In my opinion, they have these just to pass some emissions standards test and never had any intention of saving the environment. Charcoal loses it's filtering effectiveness as contaminants and organics pass through it. I'll be very shocked and surprised if they have any impact beyond a year. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is no reason to keep it much less replace it.
securityguy and Su Baru like this.

------------------------------------------------
2017 Impreza Sport CVT Carbide Gray
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
I removed mine gently and went for a drive. over 1 tank of fuel I didnt notice any difference and i decided to put it back as I run an oiled air filter. I had cut around the melted plastic welds holding the filter in and to re install i just placed the filter back and glue gunned over the melted plastic welds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190326_055726.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	20480  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:10 AM

My 2018 didn't have any PZEV badging or any mention of it in the sticker.
Do I have one of these in my car, or is it PZEV specific?
Asking because I'm lazy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page