Ferrari Flat 12 cyl engine swap - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Flat 12 cyl engine swap

I love my 2018 Impreza but wish it was faster. I remember looking under the hood of a Testarossa ( think Miami Vice era) and it had a flat 12 just like our Subaru's but with 8 more cylinders. This swap seems like a natural fit. I figured since the engine will be out I should add a quad Turbo set up for a little more Juice. I want to stay auto so a PDK from a Porsche would be ideal. I've never done anything like this before but I'm hoping the Internet and Youtube Videos should make it easy. Does anyone foresee any problems with this swap? I'll keep the HP under 1100 for the sake of reliability so that should be no problem. Thank you.
hockeykid53 likes this.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Be sure to beef up your axles 🙂
nicnicm likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
Does anyone foresee any problems with this swap?
Possibly the length of an engine with 3 times as many cylinders ???
And, the PDK is pointing in the wrong direction unless you want to go backwards very quickly !!!

retired automotive manufacturer's field service engineer (troubleshooter), auto tech/trainer, licensed mechanic, ASE Master

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 PM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage
Rotflmao
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:23 PM

I see what you did there....ha

'18 Sport - Ice Silver Metallic
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Garage
To be fair, in 2007 VW created a mid engine concept Golf with a W12...
PDawg likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktop View Post
To be fair, in 2007 VW created a mid engine concept Golf with a W12...
But is it fair to ask us to give up AWD and toss the kids
PDawg likes this.

retired automotive manufacturer's field service engineer (troubleshooter), auto tech/trainer, licensed mechanic, ASE Master

Last edited by Seņor Gar; 01-23-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
I love my 2018 Impreza but wish it was faster. I remember looking under the hood of a Testarossa ( think Miami Vice era) and it had a flat 12 just like our Subaru's but with 8 more cylinders. This swap seems like a natural fit. I figured since the engine will be out I should add a quad Turbo set up for a little more Juice. I want to stay auto so a PDK from a Porsche would be ideal. I've never done anything like this before but I'm hoping the Internet and Youtube Videos should make it easy. Does anyone foresee any problems with this swap? I'll keep the HP under 1100 for the sake of reliability so that should be no problem. Thank you.

...but will it be fast enough to kick a tablecloth from under it without moving forward? That would be the true magic trick of this one!
PDawg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 PM

There was someone that one called their car a Twinstar. The took a late 90's Cadillac Eldarado with Northstar v-8 in front and added a 2nd engine and trans to the rear. That was a pretty interesting project.

2.0i Base, MT5. Only the necessities, plus a few extras... like custom center console tray, phone holder, sunglass holder, rear seat AC vent, COBB shift lever & Rallisport engine tune w/o rev hang.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:26 PM

Cool PDawg, this may be as close as you can get ...

PDawg likes this.

Last edited by Seņor Gar; 03-07-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page