MPG is amazing!! - Page 3 - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMySubaru2 View Post
This is really an engine braking scenario - you aren't coasting unless you are in "N". I'd get better MPG if the car would actually roll when I take my foot off the gas.

Usually I have to hit the brakes before the engine braking ends. Everyone drives differently but I'd propose that the fuel required to idle the engine exceeds that saved by the increased distance of coasting vs engine braking. Part of the CVT advantage is that it maintains the engine at (presumably) minimum RPM for fuel cutoff, thus minimizing engine braking.

Test your theory! Shift to N and see how the MPG is affected.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Mjv

What type of gas do you use? I’ve been pumping 87 and was wondering if a switch to 89 would be safe for the engine.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjv View Post
What type of gas do you use? Iíve been pumping 87 and was wondering if a switch to 89 would be safe for the engine.
The car calls for 87 so stick with 87. Going to 89, 91 or 93 will not hurt it but it will not help it either. The only person winning by you upgrading your fuel is the oil company. HUGE waste of your hard earned money!
longboy likes this.

Subaru Ambassador
2017 5DR Limited w/ES/NAV
WeatherTech Floor Mats
Crosstrek Plastic Rear Bumper Cover

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
The car calls for 87 so stick with 87. Going to 89, 91 or 93 will not hurt it but it will not help it either. The only person winning by you upgrading your fuel is the oil company. HUGE waste of your hard earned money!
+1
octane rating determines how much can you compress fuel before running into premature ignition. All modern engines continuously fine tune, just don't go manufacturer's rating.

Although higher compression with high octane can reduce the fuel consumption, the saving is a fraction of the premium you pay for high octane, so you are better off sticking with the lowest octane recommended by manufacturer. E10 (10% ethanol mix) has 3% less energy output, so go with E10 if it is cheaper by more than 3% than the lowest octane recommended by manufacturer.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 PM

Garage
steady getting 27mpg around town no highway in my 2018 sport 5dr 5 speed.
hockeykid53 likes this.

Words can be powerful, but only if people listen. actions speak loud enough for anyone...
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Garage
i'm at 28k and for the last 8k I have a 27.2 mpg rating about 50/50 highway and traffic in the city or on the highway. I don't try and conserve gas honestly but the mpg is decent nothing special . I would purchase a crosstrek or impreza that is a plug in hybrid though if it was offered to improve city mpg

"Give me a second while I fill up buck nasty's mamas water dish"
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmbkr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMySubaru2 View Post
This is really an engine braking scenario - you aren't coasting unless you are in "N". I'd get better MPG if the car would actually roll when I take my foot off the gas.
Usually I have to hit the brakes before the engine braking ends. Everyone drives differently but I'd propose that the fuel required to idle the engine exceeds that saved by the increased distance of coasting vs engine braking. Part of the CVT advantage is that it maintains the engine at (presumably) minimum RPM for fuel cutoff, thus minimizing engine braking.

Test your theory! Shift to N and see how the MPG is affected.
My bmw does have the coast function when drive in eco mode. It shift to neuturl by itself when foot off gas and speed over 50km\h. And reengage when brake for few seconds or below 3~40km\h. I have been getting incredible mpg 1 time in mountain territory. Computer show me have coasted for over 100km on 200+km trip

2019 Canada spec Sport Tech 5 Doors
My First Subaru
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bensonc; 03-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
I have actually TRIED to make the MPG go below 30 and have trouble doing it. With the Vermont state speed limit being 50 MPH.... I find if I tromp on the throttle, I just get up to the speed-limit quicker and my Impreza settles into about 37 MPG at 50 MPH.

There is exactly TWO interstate highways here in Vermont. At 65 MPH.... my MPG drops down below 35. Fortunately, I rarely drive the interstate.

My typical Vermont fuel economy is lousy. Cold start. Drive 2 miles gaining 500 vertical feet to the ski area parking lot. Ski. Cold start. Drive 2 miles back down the hill. The flats to my condo is 1000 vertical feet so I'm doing that frequently. I typically use EyeSight and set the adaptive cruise control to speed limit + 4 mph on secondary roads unless it's a known speed trap zone. On interstate highways, I'm normally at speed limit + 9 mph. Eyesight has an MPG penalty since it slows to speed match and then rapidly accelerates back to the set speed when you pull out to pass. Add less efficient winter blend fuel with butane in it, 10% ethanol, and the increased aerodynamic drag of Vermont winter driving and I always get my worst fuel economy in the winter going skiing.

I'm on the coast in the summer. Between the warmer temps with less aerodynamic drag, summer fuel with more energy in it, and no hills to climb, I get far better fuel economy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page