MPG is amazing!! - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

MPG is amazing!!

I maintain a spreadheet of ALL gasoline purchases for every vehicle I have owned for many years. The spreadsheet calculates "cost per mile" for fuel as well as MPG.

Coming from a 2006 Baja turbo, I am REALLY liking the increased MPG of the Impreza.

2006 Baja "cost per mile" for fuel was over $0.15 (15 cents per mile) averaging about 24 MPG
2017 Impreza "cost per mile" for fuel is about $0.08 (8 cents per mile) averaging over 35 MPG

Keep in mind the Baja had to run PREMIUM gasoline while the Impreza drinks regular fuel. I expect that as the Impreza engine breaks-in, the MPG may improve above 35 MPG.

While the Impreza does not quite match my motorcycle... it is closer to the bike than the Baja in fuel savings. In my mind, I would rather NOT be burning my hard-earned wages to get back and forth to work. There are better things to spend my money on.
DanCastNW and longboy like this.

Last edited by BruceP; 05-03-2018 at 06:10 PM.
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 PM

What's your secret? Most of us can't get near the EPA mileage on these cars . . .
hockeykid53 likes this.

2017 Impreza Premium Hatch, CVT, + EyeSight in Island Blue Pearl
Replaced my original 2006 Forester X, 4EAT, 136K
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMySubaru2 View Post
What's your secret? Most of us can't get near the EPA mileage on these cars . . .
I am not sure if using efficient driving techniques is a 'secret'...but I have been practicing them since owning my 2001 VW diesel. (about 56 MPG ...over 800 miles per tank of fuel!!)

For the Subie, it helps to UNDERSTAND how the CVT operates and how it is trying to maximize MPG. For example, off the line from a dead stop.... veerrryyy sllightly touch the throttle and allow the communications between the CVT, torque-converter, and engine take place BEFORE you add slightly more throttle to make the vehicle move. Then, allow the CVT to do the work of 'gearing-up' as the vehicle gains speed. (My Impreza engine RARELY goes above 2500 RPM.)

I am on my SECOND tank of fuel and this one is also averaging over 35 MPG. If I drive between 35 and 45 MPH.... the displayed MPG is over 40. It can only get better as the moving parts wear-in and loosen up.

I do not know for sure... but some folks have reported that the BASE Impreza actually gets better MPG than some of the higher lines....not sure why this would be.... I would not expect the Stablex dampers would change the MPG.

Last edited by BruceP; 05-04-2018 at 06:52 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 PM

Well described but that is also the problem; driving fuel consciously is quite annoying for many people. I just press the gas and go. Local city/town driving I'm getting 22 MPG trip A counter (computer displayed MPG, reset at refuel, only drove around the city/town, no highway at all). My trip b shows a steady 27 mpg with over 5,000 miles of mixed driving. I've seen 33+ mpg on the highway though doing 70 mph (reset the trip meter before setting off directly on highway).

Last thing: you mentioned you hardly ever go past 2500 rpm, that's some super leisurely laid back driving! I can't hold back the car with such little torque available, kudos to your patience haha.

Last edited by jamesbond006; 05-04-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond006 View Post
Well described but that is also the problem; driving fuel consciously is quite annoying for many people. I just press the gas and go. Local city/town driving I'm getting 22 MPG trip A counter (computer displayed MPG, reset at refuel, only drove around the city/town, no highway at all). My trip b shows a steady 27 mpg with over 5,000 miles of mixed driving. I've seen 33+ mpg on the highway though doing 70 mph (reset the trip meter before setting off directly on highway).

Last thing: you mentioned you hardly ever go past 2500 rpm, that's some super leisurely laid back driving! I can't hold back car with such little torque available, kudos to your patience haha.
I have actually TRIED to make the MPG go below 30 and have trouble doing it. With the Vermont state speed limit being 50 MPH.... I find if I tromp on the throttle, I just get up to the speed-limit quicker and my Impreza settles into about 37 MPG at 50 MPH.

There is exactly TWO interstate highways here in Vermont. At 65 MPH.... my MPG drops down below 35. Fortunately, I rarely drive the interstate.

Last edited by BruceP; 05-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Seems that winter driving/winter blend gas has a huge negative effect on mpg....during winter I was getting low 30's....noticed last fill up I got 36mpg.....driving 75% highway, 25% busy 2 lane with traffic lights....all during off peak hours. I tend to drive conservatively.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
I have actually TRIED to make the MPG go below 30 and have trouble doing it. With the Vermont state speed limit being 50 MPH.... I find if I tromp on the throttle, I just get up to the speed-limit quicker and my Impreza settles into about 37 MPG at 50 MPH.

There is exactly TWO interstate highways here in Vermont. At 65 MPH.... my MPG drops down below 35. Fortunately, I rarely drive the interstate.
You know what though, 50 mph town/country roads give amazing gas mpg (when I'm in the ski areas I've noticed decent mpg). The stop and go city/town is the real mpg killer. On the highway you'd have to suffer driving at 55 MPH to get great MPG lol.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Another thing related to MPG which I just realized (after reading the owners-manual several times)

The MPG meter on the dashboard has a 'sliding' centerpoint with +/- areas. This 'sliding' centerpoint represents your CURRENT average MPG.
*) If the meter is on the + side of center... this means you are currently getting BETTER MPG than your average
*) If the meter is on the - side of center... this means you are currently getting WORSE MPG than your average

Now that I understand what this meter is telling me, I can use it to my advantage to gain some more MPG.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
I am not sure if using efficient driving techniques is a 'secret'...but I have been practicing them since owning my 2001 VW diesel. (about 56 MPG ...over 800 miles per tank of fuel!!)

For the Subie, it helps to UNDERSTAND how the CVT operates and how it is trying to maximize MPG. For example, off the line from a dead stop.... veerrryyy sllightly touch the throttle and allow the communications between the CVT, torque-converter, and engine take place BEFORE you add slightly more throttle to make the vehicle move. Then, allow the CVT to do the work of 'gearing-up' as the vehicle gains speed. (My Impreza engine RARELY goes above 2500 RPM.)

I am on my SECOND tank of fuel and this one is also averaging over 35 MPG. If I drive between 35 and 45 MPH.... the displayed MPG is over 40. It can only get better as the moving parts wear-in and loosen up.

I do not know for sure... but some folks have reported that the BASE Impreza actually gets better MPG than some of the higher lines....not sure why this would be.... I would not expect the Stablex dampers would change the MPG.
I'm sure the standard model (devoid of such heavy equipment as power seats) is quite a bit lighter than the loaded models.

BTW, that honking you hear? It's probably not geese .
dnb820 likes this.

2018 Impreza Limited Sedan - Island Blue Pearl
EyeSight, Nav, Moon Roof, Harman/Kardon
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Garage
I've been getting around 33mpg in my sport, mostly highway miles.

Subaru - スバル - suːbəru - sʊˈbɑːru

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page