5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Canadian Mileage / Fuel Efficiency

18K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  SUPRARU 
#1 ·
How fuel efficient has your '17/'18 Impreza been so far?

Year, model, transmission, city/hwy, driving style:

'17 Impreza Sport-Tech hatch, CVT, mixed city/hwy, mixed driving style depending on traffic.

The car has been averaging anywhere between 10L/100km to 14L/100km since new. I've tried granny driving, easing into stops, and tires are always inflated to spec, etc. I never see 6-8L/100km. At some points, it even reaches into the 20L/100km range for sustainable amounts of time. Took it to the dealer while it was in for a regular maintenance, and they took a look. They said it was driver & weather related, nothing wrong with the car.

I wonder if this recall affects it at all:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCRIT-17V216-3434.pdf

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/SUBARU/IMPREZA/4%2520DR/AWD#recalls

http://www.impreza5.com/forum/146-5...ll-coming-wtp-75-eco-update-radiator-fan.html

We bought this car partly because of the advertised excellent fuel efficiency, especially with the added incentive of an even more thrifty CVT vs the manual, but we are consistently getting less than 450km/tank. Were we wrong in expecting 500-600km / fill up? It's left us puzzled & unImprezed on such a small car that is also a Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. Where's all the fuel going?

According to driving.ca, the CVT hatch should be around 8.5L/city & 6.4L/hwy:

First Drive: 2017 Subaru Impreza | Driving

As far as CVTs go, this is one of the better ones, and does a fairly good job of emulating a traditional stepped automatic when the paddle shifters are employed. The benefit, of course, is improved fuel economy. The hatchback with CVT is rated 8.5 L/100 km in the city, 6.4 L on the highway; with the manual, it’s rated at 9.5 L and 7.0 L. We averaged around 8.4 L/100 km.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I was wondering if the cold weather was affecting it, but it shouldn't factor in that significantly. In any case, the less than ideal fuel consumption has been the same since we purchased the car, and drove it through spring, summer, fall, and now winter.

I just wanted to compare to other Imprezas to see if it's normal/expected, or if I should have Subaru take a look at the car again.

Disappointed so far. Having to refuel so often, that the gas bar attendants are going to know us on a first name basis sooner than later. Hopefully it gets better.

#4 ·
17 Sport Hatch, CVT, 50/50 highway and city
Mine averages 33 according to the screen, but I measured it and it is closer to 30. I do have my tires inflated pretty high though at 45 psi, but I have a heavy foot:grin2: Overal my model gets fairly good gas milage, and if I drove more conservativly, I feel like I coud reach the advertised numbers (like when I am driving 40mph I can hold 50mpg without loosing speed). Try making your information screen show the current gas milege, it helps me recuce gas consumption.

#5 ·
I'm an oldschool guy, love my -1980's cars. I hate looking at the all fancy gauges while trying everything to save fuel now, bc it takes away from enjoying the drive. And since that doesn't seem to improve anything, I find myself driving it the way I like now, bc the car is actually quite fun to toss around.

Reactions: Scooby
#6 ·
My fuel efficiency is definitely worse in the winter with my snow tires on, but I still get better than 10L/100KM.

I monitor my fuel economy like a hawk and I'm around 9.2 to 8.5 this winter season. During the summer, I was around 8.3 to 7.7.

I'd bring it into the dealer to get it checked out if you're getting 14. That's nuts.

#7 ·
I bought my 17 sport with cvt in November. I am averaging around 9.8l per 100km. Mine is about 50/50 driving. Last trip I went on, I drove at the speed limit and still only averaged 8.5. I will be bringing this up to the dealer when I go back. I'll wait to have my regular tires back on it.

Also a side note, what is displayed is a false number. When I checked it last it was off by about .5 l/100km

#8 ·
It's at best an estimate, but then again so is relying on everything to be consistent from pump to pump. Ideally you'd only ever fill up at the same pump for your calculations. Figure out how close it is to doing the math yourself, and then you can probably stop bothering doing the math.

#13 ·
So far over the 800km that we've owned the car the average is 7.8. The first 650kms were over 6 mountain passes the last 150km have been local driving of up and down a 11km long hill with 600m elevation drop/gain.

Blown away by how good it is.. Will update as we drive it more.

About 2l/100km less than my 2003 impreza

#17 ·
Things haven't improved. 2017 Sport-Tech still averaging something between 10-+11L/100km which roughly translates to 21.39Gal. I'm barely getting 400km to a tank before the low fuel light turns on.

My friend's brother in-law has a 2018 Crosstrek, essentially the same car with the same engine, and he's averaging -7L/100km (33.60Gal), mixed city & hwy, and even got it to -4L/100km (58.80Gal), which yielded over 800km. Is this realistic? Is this an anomaly? Are any of you guys getting similar numbers?

Attachments

#18 ·
Sleepy, I have a 2019 Sport 4Dr. with manual transmission and I'm averaging just over 10L per 100km also with about 50/50 city/hwy. Car is just a few months old and just passed 2000 kms. I'm just hoping that after the first oil change it will yield better mileage as it should be pretty well broken in by now but after reading your post I'm all depressed now!!

#19 ·
I'm being in your shoes as well driving 17 Impreza Premium hatch with CVT and averaging around 10l/100km from last March through summer, but now getting worse to 370 km from tank for 42l of premium gas taken. Car drives great for a 2l 150 HP engine, has 45 K km and and doesn't show any faults. Was bought used with 32 K km on a clock.
After reading all those posts about Imprezas getting 35 - 40 mpg I started thinking former owner chipped our car to make it faster and this is a problem.
11.2 liters per 100 km I got from last tank = 21.3 mpg

#20 ·
It is January 2020 now, and it is still the same. The car is still averaging +10L/100km and less than 430km on a tank with the low fuel light on. Dealer won't do anything and still claims that nothing is wrong, but how can other Imprezas yield so much more? My friends with a 2018 Crosstrek, 2017 Forester XT & a 2019 Forester (albeit different cars but I assume being bigger & heavier vehicles) are experiencing much better fuel economy. Disappointing, to say the least. I was looking forward to long term ownership, but I am looking at changing things up now.

#21 ·
Lately I’ve been at 11.9L/100km. 2019 model that I got at the end of March. I started out at around 11. Almost all city driving. I was disappointed, but figured it’s because of all the hills I have to climb in Vancouver. After not getting any better, I gave up on slow acceleration. Still not happy, but have yet to ask the dealer about it.

#22 ·
Only because you linked me here. I read through the thread and you posted your driving style but not all the info. Do you idle your car to warm the interior? Do you run your car to cool it down? Run a remote start? What kind of fuel are you using a proper gas station or fuel at work that is for tractor equipment? Have you reset both your trips? Is this through your display it's saying you're getting this bad of mileage or are you hand calculating it? In my many years of being a Subaru tech it's always driving habits and people have no clue what affects fuel consumption.

#23 ·
Warm to temp most days until the blue temp light turns off, no cool down, no remote start to waste fuel, just regular gas and tried different brands for a month at a time with the same results, using both the car’s display and by hand. It’s a lot of extra work which we shouldn’t be doing. We’d like to just enjoy the car and not have to throw money into the fire. If you have any more suggestions, by all means. If not, thanks for replying.

#24 ·
So no remote start. You walk out in the morning and start your car. So you'd say you probably idle the car for about 10 min before you leave? Do you sit there in the car until the blue light turns off? My recommendation to you is if you really care about the mpg's go 1 tank without warming up the car and see what you get. Leave the car in D and drive normally. I'm currently at 28 mpg and idle my car for 10 min in the morning and before I leave work. Only difference is I drive 35 miles to work all highway. I could imagine if I drove in the city like you I'd be in the low 20 range.

#29 ·
So, are my numbers on par with what you see in customer cars that come into your dealerships? That’s all I need to know. Is the car performing normally, or is there something that needs attention?

Let’s get real, who has the time to sit and waste time & fuel and add pollution to the environment for 10mins every time you start up? I was simply following the suggestions from the tech and manager at the dealership to wait until it warmed up and the blue temp light turned off.

Car is parked in the garage. I live in a rural area where it’s mixed city & long straight roads without lights. You can’t assume it’s all city streets. Here’s plenty of hwy driving, or what you may call freeways in the US. After about three years of ownership and various conditions and attempts to attain better numbers, I just drive it normally or as I would’ve with my old car now.

#30 ·
Trying to track mileage in varying conditions is tricky to compare. Different traffic patterns, weather conditions, fuel types and driving habits will net you different numbers all the time. Go through one drive-thru and watch your numbers plummet. I would not idle until the blue light goes away, that is not necessary and is just wasteful, bad advice IMO. You can drive away sooner and just drive a bit slower on the road , once the blue light goes away you can start pushing the engine on the road.

Winter fuel and cold temps kill fuel economy numbers. Summer fuel and summer hot temps will net you the best numbers. Driving in the rain can decrease fuel economy numbers too, compared to dry hot weather conditions.

Don't use government fuel economy ratings to compare to your numbers, as you are likely driving much different than what they use during government certification tests. We all likely drive faster than what they use in government fuel economy testing. Highway driving is based on 60 mph speeds, I know I drive at 70 mph, same thing applies for city driving speeds.

The only consistent numbers I can rely on are my highway driving results - 6.8L / 100 kms , which equates to 34 mpg (US), 42 mpg Imperial. That has been in cold winter temps with crappy winter blend fuel, and 70 mph speeds, 2020 Sport tech with 1000 miles. I expect it to get better in coming months, but then air conditioning may sap some fuel economy when it gets hot out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.