5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Mileage

50K views 181 replies 105 participants last post by  Easty 
#1 ·
What mileage are folks getting on the 2017 Imprezas? Please state model and city / hiway driving details. Thanks.

#2 ·
My mileage at an average of 31-32mpg for a 50/50 mix of driving.
My driving style is fairly mild overall.

I am only at about 500 miles new, but expect this to go up a bit
gradually as it warms up and car breaks in a bit.

#3 ·
Dang, what am i doing wrong? i have the 2017 5 door sport with CVT, and am getting around 26-27 mpg, with a 55/45 split of highway/city driving.

Im currently sitting at 593 miles, so I'm hoping mine gets better after that 1,000 milestone.
Guess i just have a heavy foot ;)

#4 ·
BTW, I put a few more PSI in the tires thinking it would help the ride and mileage - but don't
go overboard. it says on the door for the Limited 33/32 and I went to like 38/37
Tires are rates to 51, but would not go above 40. The dealer gave me the car with it at
like 41/40 or so and was told that was why, but found the ride a bit floaty and bouncey,
so I backed it off and much better now. Is that helping the mileage? Who knows...

I have a fairly easy foot after driving a hybrid for 8 years, so maybe I am just
a feather-foot? :wink2:

I did have an old Saab that had alot of carbon build-up and then the values burned out.
Got rebuilt, but I was told I didn't drive the car hard enough (to blow out the carbon)!
It was a turbo, but I think poor design.

Slightly worried about that because of the direct injection, but I'll save the harder driving
for on ramps and passing, etc.

#5 ·
I'm at about 1,600 miles now with my 5 door limited. On my typical commuting week with about 50/50 I'm getting around 30 now (which has improved since the breakin period. On trips where it's been around 75-80% highway (with the cruise set at between 65 and 75) I'm getting 34 or better! Very happy with that. Oh, and I LOVE the adaptive cruise! Not quite the self driving car yet, but close

#7 ·
I have a 5-door premium with a little over 2000 miles on it. I have been getting 26-27 mpg combined with mostly in-town driving which is about what I expected. I have taken a few trips with it of 200-300 highway miles and have gotten 38-40 mpg according to the car! I haven't been able to do an actual calculation as my fill-ups didn't line up with the trips. I have seen my mileage slowly improve as I have put more mileage on the car.

#11 ·
Judging from a trip the other day about 200mls to half tank
At 75 I was looking at 33.9
Keeping spd 65mph or less you should be getting upwards of 35plus
Rolling around a small town I saw 39.2mpg for a while
I guess it depends on the loose nut behind the wheel.

#13 ·
I have about 5000 miles on my Impreza Premium now. Driving 60 miles a day on the highway in commute traffic I typically get about 34-36mpg. Some trips as high as 39 if there's not much traffic. I tend to use the adaptive cruise control quite a bit. I find it really cuts the stress of driving on the highway.

#14 ·
As an update to my previous post, I now have over 3000 miles on my 5-door premium and I just got back from a trip to the Adirondack Mountains. It's a little over 350 miles each way. I got 38.5 MPG on the trip up with a couple of traffic slowdowns. That is what the car told me, and I was able to verify it as I filled at the beginning and end of the drive. Calculation came out exactly the same, which makes me feel better about trusting what the car is telling me. I only got 36.5 MPG on the trip back, but the first half was spent in stop and go traffic on the NY State Thruway. The traffic was miserable, but the adaptive cruise control did an awesome job of making it bearable.

I have a 2014 Forester as my other car, and I have noticed that the gas mileage goes down by 2-3 MPG for every 5 MPH that I drive over 60 MPH. The Impreza, on the other hand, doesn't seem to exhibit that same drop off of mileage. I would actually be willing to believe that it gets better gas mileage at 70 MPH than it does at 65.

#15 ·
I use an app called fuelly to track mileage.
We've just completed a 1700 miles loop from DC to SC to FL to DC.
I found that the displayed tank average was a little bit higher than what we were actually getting but close.

#19 ·
So I just got back from my honeymoon and my car been sitting for 2wks and only has 272 miles and the dealerships delivered it with a full tank after taking care of a rattle noise in the dash but I drove it yesterday for a few minutes when I got home and the gas range on my car says I only have 180 miles yet the tank shows full what's the deal?

#20 ·
the gas range on my car says I only have 180 miles yet the tank shows full what's the deal?
First, congrats on the new ride.
I've found the miles to empty (MTE) moves rather slowly. I've started out with 180 miles showing, driven 50 miles and had it show 200 MTE. Its rough approximation based on recent experience.
As I understand, the system calculates MTE based on the recent few miles so if you've put 20 miles on in short hops, lots of idling, low MPG situations, it will show less. If the recent few miles were high MPG, you'll show more.
I've had it show 500 after a fill up and 240 after fill up.

#26 ·
My first tank I got about 28.6 according to the digital display and about 27.2 according to my division. I mainly drive hilly & curvy back roads in NW NJ with about 1/3 of the miles on highway. I'm in the "break-in" period so I am not going above 4k rpms, or really 3k much. Though I'd be getting a bit more but I'll see how future fill up do

#28 ·
Were getting less then optimal mpg

On the third tank and so far 19 and 17 mpg with 75% city 25% hwy combined. Paper pencil mileage.
The readout is about the same.
Going to take it on a long hwy run next week to see it it jumps.

I am having transmission issues so that may be part of the issue.

:)

#34 ·
I hear that. Yes definitely better MPG after break in. My last tank was 80% highway ran the tank till gas warning light, which Trip cpu still told me I had 70 miles left till empty. Filled up 10.9 gallons clocked at 333.4 which is 30.5MPG

Not bad with AC on all the time and driving spirited. Been cruising at 60-65, not 65-70. That made a good difference.

Of course driving a slow car fast is better than driving a fast car slow but you pay with it in efficiency

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.