Intermittent Starting Issue - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent Starting Issue

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the correct Forum section or not, but having an intermittent starting issue with my '08 Impreza. I've tried to determine if there's a cycle or rhyme or reason but there isn't. Every so often, when I go to start the car, it turns but won't fire. Thought initially it was the battery, but that tested good. Mechanic made sure everything was connecting solid on the battery, so ruled that out. Here's a better idea of what's happening:

-when it doesn't fire, been opening gas cap to see if it's the EVap...put cap back on, sometimes starts up, but more often than not(>90% of the time) it doesn't. Once in a while, if I press lightly on the gas pedal before turning the key, that'll kick it into full gear. However, a majority of the time, I have to pop the negative battery terminal and reset the computer. What makes this an ABSOLUTE PAIN is that by resetting the computer, it's clearing out any potential code that is potentially being sent to the computer. While doing research I found someone with a similar issue that stated he replaced the spark plug wires and plugs...my mechanic does not believe this is the issue, however, we did determine that it does need new wires so it's getting a tune up regardless. He's thinking it's one of the 2 EVap sensors, but, with no check engine light or code being sent to the computer, cannot determine which one may be causing the failure and the intermittent issue of firing up when starting the car (it's got power and turns, just doesn't ignite for lack of a better word).

Has anyone else experienced this with their Impreza, and if so, what was the issue determined to be? This has been ongoing for over 2 months now and it's getting real old real fast having to pop the terminal and reset the comp lol! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Garage
Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

But I would like to point out that this forum specializes in the 2017 and newer Impreza. There is not much troubleshooting and diagnosis that has been in the past 2 years. Plus there are enough changes since 08 that much of the advice would be generic advice that applies to many cars.

Good luck, those mystery problems are the worst!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Check the fuel system. Had a similar experience with another vehicle, turned but wouldn't fire. Turned out to be the fuel pump or the control module. I would also replace the fuel filter if you haven't done that yet.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:58 AM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page