Can't edit older posts?? - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Can't edit older posts??

Why do I not have the ability to edit older posts on this forum? I need to fix some links to pictures in my build thread. I now realize I exported a lot of my images in Adobe RGB, when they should be sRGB. So I'll be needing to post new links for the corrected images. I have posts on other forums that are years old that I can still edit.
NoData likes this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

"The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 14400 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message."

This is ridiculous!
NoData likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I'd like to fix my build thread if an admin can clear me for editing my older posts. What's the point of locking the posts after 10 days? I've never seen this restriction on any other forum before.
NoData likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:00 PM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage
"This is ridiculous"

Wish my life was so great that I got mad over something so small and trivial.

I can delete any old posts for you if you would like just post the links.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Just because I say something is ridiculous doesn't mean I'm mad, that's just an internet assumption. I just don't understand why the administrator would lock older posts. I've never seen this done on a forum before. I have build threads on three other forums, one of which I started over 7 years ago, and I can still edit all my posts on all three of those forums (not that I need too).

I don't want you to delete my posts, I'd like to leave my build thread intact. I just want to edit the posts containing photos with updated links to the newly hosted updated photos with the correct color space (sRGB). I shoot all my pictures in RAW format and then use Photoshop to export them and save them as JPEGs. I just didn't realize that I was exporting them in the Adobe RGB (1998) color space before, but now I've got that sorted.
NoData likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
@x1s1x300 You can report the images you want replaced and add the images you want added and we can do it for you. The edit window is in place to prevent disgruntled users from going back and removing their posts making threads useless.

Niall
C J likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

If a user wants to edit or delete any post they've made, past or present, that is their prerogative and no one else's. They should be able to do so freely, regardless of what anybody else thinks, including the admin. It's their post, not yours or anybody else's.

I'm a member of multiple other forums where there is no time limit on editing posts and all those forums still keep chugging away. All of which have been established for a longer period of time than this forum. This post editing lock is just plain unnecessary and in my opinion quite absurd.

You make it seem like if you lifted the editing lock, the whole forum would collapse and be filled with useless threads and missing posts. You can't just control what people do and say.

This is honestly making me not want to continue contributing to this forum anymore. This is too bad, because I've really enjoyed being a member of this community, sharing new parts I've found, posting pics of new mods, and seeing what other members have done to their cars. However, I can't just stand idly by while handcuffs are being put on every single one of our posts for no reason!
NoData likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 AM
Banned

I think we’ll manage. It’s a standard forum rule and hardly “handcuffes”.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinfo View Post
I think we’ll manage. It’s a standard forum rule and hardly “handcuffes”.

But what if 3 weeks from now you realize you misspelled that word and want to correct it?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 AM

Garage
Exclamation This is not San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1s1x300 View Post
If a user wants to edit or delete any post they've made, past or present, that is their prerogative and no one else's. They should be able to do so freely, regardless of what anybody else thinks, including the admin. It's their post, not yours or anybody else's.
I STRONGLY disagree:
  1. The owners of the forum make the decisions about what they want, not the users.
  2. The forum is not a democracy nor a "free speech" entitlement.
  3. Just because users can't figure out why an owner/administrator makes certain decisions, doesn't mean that the reason isn't valid or reasonable.
  4. Changing a message (other than typos) disrupts the flow of the discussion for readers.
  5. Relatively few readers go back in a thread they have already read, to pick up any changes. Thus, it make sense to post a new message when new or updated info is available. This is not hard work & helps the continuity of the thread.
  6. Ten days is VERY generous & more than enough time.

2017 Impreza 2.0i AWD 5MT 4DR sedan

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Exterior: Venetian Red Pearl
  • Interior: Ivory White Pearl
Prior (auto): 1960 Corvair, 1965 Mustang, 1978 Olds (diesel)
Prior (5MT): 1980 & 1991 Celicas, 1998 Audi A4 Quattro

Please do not ask me private questions of public interest -- that is what forums are for!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page