Impreza versus Legacy - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Impreza versus Legacy

We have a Crosstrek. Actually, Other AstroKat ("OAK") does - it's her daily driver, and we use it for road trips and some light off-roading. Her mom is looking for a new car before the end of the year (great time to get a deal) and she wants a compact sedan. They currently have a Ford Focus and a Hyundai Elantra, and we're trying to steer her towards Subaru, with Eyesight.

In April, Consumer Reports had a report of the best cars for seniors and the Forester, Outback and Legacy were mentioned but not the Impreza: https://www.consumerreports.org/elde...enior-drivers/

The Legacy is more of a midsize than the Impreza. What are your thoughts, and what would you encourage YOUR mom to buy?

'18 Crosstrek Limited, DGM, with HK/nav package
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM
C J
Super Moderator

Garage
I have owed two Fozzies and my wife owned two OBs. I could have taken her two year old OB but chose to trade it for my Imp.

I am old but not a senior, I do know several seniors who own both Fozzies and Crosstreks. I would steer a senior to an OB, Fozzie or Crosstrek over an Imp only because it is easier to get in and out of those cars. The Imp is kind of low for senior to turn and squat and get into (and out of), I have seen my father in law (senior) having trouble getting into my car but he has no problem with his Forester.

It is about ride height to me.
Titote likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
I have owed two Fozzies and my wife owned two OBs. I could have taken her two year old OB but chose to trade it for my Imp.

I am old but not a senior, I do know several seniors who own both Fozzies and Crosstreks. I would steer a senior to an OB, Fozzie or Crosstrek over an Imp only because it is easier to get in and out of those cars. The Imp is kind of low for senior to turn and squat and get into (and out of), I have seen my father in law (senior) having trouble getting into my car but he has no problem with his Forester.

It is about ride height to me.
Yeah, I'm not that "old" yet but I do like how easy it is to get in and out of the Crosstrek compared to some of the sportscars I've owned. I'm also 6'2" and I think OAK's mom is around 5' so that could make a difference.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:20 PM

The legacy has a larger gas tank which will provide better range for long road trips and probably better leg room for back seat passengers. It will feel less nimble probably since it is a mid size sedan. There is also no hatch option for better utility.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond006 View Post
The legacy has a larger gas tank which will provide better range for long road trips and probably better leg room for back seat passengers. It will feel less nimble probably since it is a mid size sedan. There is also no hatch option for better utility.
Seems like the Impreza (or a Crosstrek) would be a better option for an ageing Mr. Bond...

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=C J;139684]I have owed two Fozzies and my wife owned two OBs. I could have taken her two year old OB but chose to trade it for my Imp.

It is about ride height to me.[/QUOTE
True, but I have seen older folks even seniors in Impreza's. Small, safe, easy to park and low maintenance . I'm heading towards 61 and very active for my age and have a Impreza sport. I find the DP find and better than most sedans especially newer Honda's with the seat on the floor design. Honda lost their senior market share by going with that design IMO. In fact it has been said the Impreza(new) has a high ride height
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 AM

I'm 89 years old and find it's not easy to get out of the Impreza I use to be 5'11" tall but I'm
now 5' 9". I don't have a problem getting in, I put my right foot in first. I had a Jeep
Renegade before the Impreza and it was easier to get out. My rather large feet cause me a
lot of problems getting in/out of many cars.

Clifton
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! So, funnily enough, her mom drove our Crosstrek while we were over there at Christmas and she loved how high up it was for both visibility and getting in and out of (after saying she did not want a car as big as ours, LOL). She just got a '19 Crosstrek!
C J, DanCastNW, Titote and 2 others like this.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:44 AM

Congrats ! A lifted Impreza or Crosstrek is a nice car. Any Subaru on the SGP is a big difference
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHP1 View Post
Congrats ! A lifted Impreza or Crosstrek is a nice car. Any Subaru on the SGP is a big difference
Ha, ha, yes, she now has a lifted Impreza...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page