Blown motor 97 mi on odometer, new car - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Blown motor 97 mi on odometer, new car

Yup, day 2 with my new Hatchback, 97 miles on odometer, at 65 mph left lane of 3 lanes of evening rush hour traffic. "CLUNK", maybe the CVT downshifted I guessed, slowed a little, then foot back on gas for a few seconds "CLUNK" "CLUNK" and a LOT of dashboard lights, no significant power as I slowly weave through 3 lanes of angry rush hour traffic. Survived onto the shoulder, took a breath, some smoke coming from under the hood and beginnings of gas smell inside the car. 4-foot diameter of gassy dirt under right side of car. Called dealership who gave me 800 number for Subaru warranty towing. 20 minutes on phone with Subaru warranty towing, a follow up call from Subaru in Florida, and a tow truck 25 minutes later.

At the dealer 10 minutes later, the sales manager was surprised that a new car would fail that way. I wonder now if he was suggesting that it might have been my fault. He explained that Subaru would likely send a new motor once his dealer mechanic determined what had happened and maybe I'd get a loaner.

Beyond a new motor, what else should I expect / demand ?
A loaner?
Any likely damage to CVT from that kind of early motor death?
Any likely damage to anything else from that kind of early motor death?
jamesbond006 likes this.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:22 PM

That's crazy! I'd ask for a whole new car! Please let us know what happened. (And I'm sorry!)

2017 Impreza Premium Hatch, CVT, + EyeSight in Island Blue Pearl
Replaced my original 2006 Forester X, 4EAT, 136K
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 PM

I'd want nothing less than a new car. If dealer gives you crap, call Subaru.
Gadabout, FB20_Abyss and fredriv like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWind View Post
Yup, day 2 with my new Hatchback, 97 miles on odometer, at 65 mph left lane of 3 lanes of evening rush hour traffic. "CLUNK", maybe the CVT downshifted I guessed, slowed a little, then foot back on gas for a few seconds "CLUNK" "CLUNK" and a LOT of dashboard lights, no significant power as I slowly weave through 3 lanes of angry rush hour traffic. Survived onto the shoulder, took a breath, some smoke coming from under the hood and beginnings of gas smell inside the car. 4-foot diameter of gassy dirt under right side of car. Called dealership who gave me 800 number for Subaru warranty towing. 20 minutes on phone with Subaru warranty towing, a follow up call from Subaru in Florida, and a tow truck 25 minutes later.

At the dealer 10 minutes later, the sales manager was surprised that a new car would fail that way. I wonder now if he was suggesting that it might have been my fault. He explained that Subaru would likely send a new motor once his dealer mechanic determined what had happened and maybe I'd get a loaner.

Beyond a new motor, what else should I expect / demand ?

A loaner?

Any likely damage to CVT from that kind of early motor death?

Any likely damage to anything else from that kind of early motor death?
New car, who this?

Yeah, like everyone else said. New car, and the dealership can choose if they want to resell the vehicle with a new engine from warranty. Let them deal with that that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Glad no one get hurt. Should demand new car from dealership. Please let us know what's the cause.

2019 Canada spec Sport Tech 5 Doors
My First Subaru
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:30 PM

New car.
jamesbond006 likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:37 AM

new car 100% let them deal with the mess
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:53 AM

Garage
And yes they should have put you in a loaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Sport Hatchback
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Thats a big **** bummer. 97 miles in. Wow. Im shocked, and hope you get a new car on Subaru because this shouldn’t have happened.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 AM

First don’t spend too much time on the Internet, most wont have useful advice. 2nd, stuff like this does happen and usually gets taken care of. 3rd, call Subaru directly and nicely tell them what happened, it might help. 4th, do not agree to take that car back, if nothing else because it will likely have diminished value. 5, be nice, the people you will be dealing with did not build that engine.
Apex and longboy like this.