17x7 rims | Offset: 38mm | Will it fit? - 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

17x7 rims | Offset: 38mm | Will it fit?

I have a 2019 Sport with 18" stock rims. I'm looking to try something lighter and a bit smaller. Does anyone know if a 17x7 rim with a 38mm offset will work on our cars without straining any of the existing suspension parts?

Bonus: Does anyone know how this might appear/look visually?

Thanks!

PS - why are wheel fittings so complex? Seems like there are infinite possibilities.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
17x7 rims | Offset: 38mm | Will it fit?

Edit- wrong info on my part

2018 Sport Hatchback
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:57 PM

I ran 17x8 wheels with 225/45/17 tires (same diameter as stock) and they cleared no problem. I didn’t like the on/off feel they had and I lost feedback and the ability to make small corrections when driven at the limit.I wanted to buy Momo Wynter wheels but want something that doesn’t stick out so far.
mendicitis likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Isn't the offset around 48mm on the stock wheels? Subarus generally have greater offset than most cars, and if your replacement wheels sit 10mm further out you'll have to consider that it will screw up your scrub radius pretty badly, cause extra stress on your hub bearings, and possibly hit your fender lip.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I did some math here for posterity.

Stock Sport rims are 18 x 7.5 with 55 mm offset.
The rims I want are 17 x 7 with a 38 mm offset.

So following that, tires are .25 inches further in due to width alone (.5/2), but 17 mm further out due to offset.

That's 10.65 mm further out from stock, or .419 inches. Less than half an inch - but I think it might still be too far out to clear fenders. I'll never know, because I'm going to buy a different wheel since it seems questionable.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM

You'll be fine.

2018 Ice Silver 5 Door 2.0i
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwimpreza View Post
You'll be fine.
Do you have experience with similar wheels or are you speaking from experience?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM

FWIW, McPherson strut suspensions usually have a negative scrub radius, which helps high-speed stability. Moving your offset outward will reduce that scrub radius. The closer a scrub radius gets to zero, the greater the high-speed stability becomes due to tread squirm. you could end up spending hundreds of dollars resulting in making you car behave like a $500 clunker. So, if all you care about is cruising around town with wheels that look cool, sure, go ahead....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendicitis View Post
I did some math here for posterity.

Stock Sport rims are 18 x 7.5 with 55 mm offset.
The rims I want are 17 x 7 with a 38 mm offset.

So following that, tires are .25 inches further in due to width alone (.5/2), but 17 mm further out due to offset.

That's 10.65 mm further out from stock, or .419 inches. Less than half an inch - but I think it might still be too far out to clear fenders. I'll never know, because I'm going to buy a different wheel since it seems questionable.
I forgot to mention, My Konigs were 40mm offset, 15 mm further out than stock. My 8 in wide wheels cleared with no problem anywhere.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 PM

5 mm change is generally a doable offset change with minimal to moderate effect on the handling and suspension. 10 mm is a significant change and will have noticeable effects on handling, even to a normal person. This includes loss of steering feel (and this is already pretty bad on the impreza), tread squirm, decreased stability under braking and accelerating, worsened bump steer/road imperfection following character (where the steering wheel jerks to one side going over a bump), and the usual increased wheel bearing and suspension wear. These are all things that will affect daily driving, not just trying to trim tenths of a second off your lap time.

Stock offset is 55 mm on the Impreza and I wouldn't venture lower than 48 mm if you want to retain similar driving characteristics to what you have now.

As an FYI, most tire shops show rims that physically fit, not rims that are proper for the handling and suspension of your vehicle. Subarus have much higher offset than almost all other vehicles and as such there are very few rims that properly fit without switching over to aftermarket suspension and adjusting the suspension geometry.
PDawg likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page