5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

WUA86: HK Reprogram

33K views 79 replies 25 participants last post by  ferraiolo1 
#1 ·
I logged into MySubaru account today and saw I had Service Campaign WUA86 active effective January 2nd. Anyone else get notification about this? I searched the forum "WUA86" and didn't see anyone mention it.

WUA86 - In the interest of customer satisfaction, Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to update the Harman Kardon head unit on certain vehicles with the latest version of software.

#2 ·
Yup, I got the message too. I had the unit updated at the end of November while I had the car in to reset the TPMS for the winter tires. So I don’t know if that was the latest update or not, guess I have to call and find out. The unit seems to be working fine, so I won’t update until I put the summer tires back on in March/April.

#3 ·
I just checked and have one as well. I am guessing that since it was released on January 2, 2019, that this is an additional update from that previously performed when I took it in before Christmas. I will check with my dealer and lead tech to see what the version is and how that compares to what I have in the car now. Could be one in the same but interesting that the bulletin is dated after the first of the year. If anyone hears anything sooner, please post.

#5 ·
I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to set the appointment. Everything has been working fine with mine for the most part. I honestly don't really use it that much so I can't really offer too much of an opinion.

I've already had the H/U replaced once. It's been much better.

#6 ·
I just talked to my dealer about this recall (WUA86). This is to upgrade the HK head unit software to U0.18.43.20, which I already upgraded to through the Navi map software upgrade (upgrading the map software to 99_6759_9121) which also upgrades the head unit software.

Even though MySubaru.com indicates I am subject to this recall, the dealer says I don't need it since I'm already on the latest software. Just FYI...

Reactions: bonkewl53
#8 ·
I just talked to my dealer about this recall (WUA86). This is to upgrade the HK head unit software to U0.18.43.20, which I already upgraded to through the Navi map software upgrade (upgrading the map software to 99_6759_9121) which also upgrades the head unit software.
AWESOME news! So no trip to the dealer for me either:grin2:

#7 ·
I made my appointment today. I haven't had any S/W updates since my last inspection so I'm probably due for one. I'll be in and out in an hour. It gives me a reason to look at new Forester.

#11 ·
I took care of mine this morning. In and out in about an hour. My dealerships inventory was really low so there wasn't much to look at while I was there. I enjoyed eavesdropping on the morning sales meeting though.

Side note: my dealership recently started using kiosks for service check-ins. Customers are not happy about it to the point that they tell the service advisor they are taking their vehicle somewhere else. Is this a Subaru thing or a dealership specific?

#12 ·
Side note: my dealership recently started using kiosks for service check-ins. Customers are not happy about it to the point that they tell the service advisor they are taking their vehicle somewhere else. Is this a Subaru thing or a dealership specific?
Haven't seen that at any dealers in this area...

#15 ·
I got this notice too for my 2017 Impreza. I think the update happened already; the entire system went off line one night and came back the next morning. Two questions:

1. What is the "HK head unit"? Is it software, hardware, both?
2. If it's software only, is there some way I can verify if the update did happen?

Thanks,
EdB

#17 ·
What should be the most updated version? Someone above said that if you did the Navi update that it should have updated the headunit to the most upto date version which I did in Nov but when I check my headunit details the version is listed as U0.18.30.20, not the U0.18.43.20, that someone listed above as the newest update with this recall.

#27 ·
They are different head units. The 17/18 has gen 3.0 and the 19 has gen 3.1 (thanks Doca).

However, the release date for the latest firmware for the 17/18 was slightly later than the 19 which leads me to believe that they made some changes for the 19 then implemented them for the 17/18 (yeah, I know, hope springs eternal, LOL)!

#33 ·
The infotainment system in the '17+ (and in our Crosstreks from '18+) is from Harman International Industries. The Harman Kardon audio upgrade is a factory option but doesn't affect whether or not you get a firmware update.

#34 ·
Did the update this weekend at Anchor Subaru in North Smithfield, RI.
2018 Impreza Sport 5-door, 4,986 miles.

Prior to the update the issues I experienced were:
-No USB detection (Apple Car Play, have no tried Android)
-Blank screens when using Spotify/Google Play Music
-Audio Skipping using Apple Car Play
-Freezing
-No music (warning sounds/button press sounds would play, this includes XM, Radio, Apple Car Play)

In the 3 hours I've driven the car since the update, I still have similar issues, but definitely not as bad. Prior to bringing it in, I could not even play music in my car even if I was using the standard radio/XM.

I have another appointment on Friday which is a secondary/"if the first update doesn't work" update. If that does not work, I will be getting a new head unit.

Reactions: bonkewl53
#41 ·
I wonder if I can easily swap out a 19 head unit into my 18, I would like to have the CD player. I’m looking into portable ones I can plug into the Aux jack but would prefer not to. Surely someone will want to dump their stock 19 head unit at some point. The stock system in the Premium is surprisingly good, well worth upgrading to a Premium.

#42 ·
Took my wife's '18 Premium to the dealer for the 18,000 mile oil change last week. Asked if there were any fixes for the radio yet and was told about Service Campaign WAU86. One hour later I drove away happy, but my joy was short-lived as I determined that WAU86 made absolutely no apparent difference. My radio still has a mind of its own. It still comes on every time the car is started and it still overplays the spoken directions from Google Maps making navigation a real chore. Waiting for the other settings (e.g., one-touch lane change) to reset themselves back to default values, which has been happening randomly every couple of months since the car was new. As far as I can tell, I just wasted an hour sitting at the Subaru dealer for no good reason. Is there really a WAU86-1?

#46 · (Edited)
What functional changes does WUA-86 make to the HK firmware ?
The Subaru letter only stated "modification to the HK audio system display software logic" ???
We have had the first update that fixed the backup camera display for turning OFF in reverse.

#48 ·
FYI, this was just posted on the Crosstrek forum (thanks xconverge). There's a new release of the firmware for the '19s available via https://subaru-maps.com/#/updates (for those who have nav):

Rel_A.19.01.70 NA
North America_2017.03_6787_28/12545/272294/16226
2019-02-19 05:00

I checked and it's still the December release for the '18s (and '17 Imprezas)

#54 ·
It's bizarre the extent they are going to make this a full-blown recall. It's a firmware update for the radio. They've had several since the first '17 Impreza.

What's the worst that could happen? I lose a radio station preset?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.