5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Fun Poll: Which car would you swap your Impreza for?

13K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  Rob209 
#1 ·
The Impreza (152 hp 30/31 mpg) is a very competitive car in the compact segment. I wish it had more power considering the fuel economy does not match the claimed numbers. If you are given a choice to swap your Impreza with another car today without paying extra, which of these would you choose?
A. 174 hp 32/34 mpg Honda Civic
B. 186 hp 30 mpg Mazda 3

#5 ·
The new Mazda 3 was recently introduced. It wasn’t around when I bought the Impreza. I test drove the Civic but it did not like the way it looked and the then new turbo engine felt not as smooth as the naturally aspirated VTECs on the past Civics. I am not satisfied with the Impreza’s engine, I keep wishing for a smoother more powerful engine.

#6 ·
Gotcha.

I thought about a Civic hatchback, but as you say, the Civic's looks are pretty hard on the eyes. Every time I see one, it makes me happy I didn't go that route. The mid-model refresh on the Civics helps though. I still think the current Impreza 5dr is nicely styled. And I agree, the car could use more power. I think the boxer's lack of smoothness is part of its charm and it's growing on me.

#7 ·
The Mazda 3 is better looking than Civic and Impreza and has more power. Starting with 2019 models Mazda is going premium. I would consider swapping my Impreza for the 3 as long as the crate for the dog would fit in and I wouldn’t lose money.

#10 ·
Mazda 3

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the look of the Civic. I never test drove one so I can't speak for anything other than looks. I chose Mazda 3 strictly for more power for this poll.

#13 ·
I would not trust the brand new AWD on a Mazda 3 or mazda 6 or whichever car. When brands first use it they are known to mess up ,unless it’s in one of their suvs like they have been doing already. I had considered getting a Honda before I bought a Subaru, but there were so many problems with the turbo engines and oil dilution. There’s a lawsuit against Honda right now

#14 ·
Has anybody driven a 2019 Hyundai Kona? Only a 1.6T, but sits very nice and
decent looking. Have not drive it though.

AWD Ultimate version is 28 / 32 / 30 MPG - 175hp @ 5500

#15 ·
Considered at the time a 2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagon 4-Motion - not as reliable or cheaply maintainable but a bit more carrying capacity. Had trouble finding one not loaded up or in the more expensive AllTrack version. New Mazda 6 or 3 are nice but seem more expensive than the Impreza and are maybe a bit tighter in the rear seat.

#16 · (Edited)
#21 ·
I'm thinking about my next vehicle also, not because I dislike the Impreza, but because it's human nature to look for bigger, better, nicer and the next best thing. I'm liking the sedan seating position after coming from two SUVs and bigger and better would be a big, soft riding American made model like the Chrysler 300. I'm old enough to remember when big and soft riding was standard fare in the American market.

#24 ·
Not to derail thread Honda fan boy style, but we also have a 2010 CRV with 140k on it. Only problem so far was an A/C condensor that had to be replaced. The only thing that i don't like about the Civics now is the Gundam styling that they've gone to.

#27 · (Edited)
I am on the opposite side of the situation that I want to share my experience, just signed a canadian spec sport-tech 3weeks ago and still waiting for delivery, which to replace 2016 scion iM
My shopping end up with vw golf wagon, Acura ilx, corolla hatch back and the impreza. After test drive the impreza, I am amazed with its stiff chassis, nice interior, and how slow it is. But still win me over all others. Every cars going to have strong and weak points. Just choose something that works for you.
Speaking of power. I was crazy about it when I was younger, owned bmw 540i, toyota aristo(same as lexus GS300 but with super t.turbo), Nissan skyline 350GT MT(same as infinity G35. coupe) in the past....But recently, find it so much more fun with less power where I can always pedal to the metal and go thru gears(well, I know cvt gears is fake) and still not worry about getting ticket.

#29 ·
Exactly ? . Just drive it like you steal it and I didn't find it slow on my scion iM and still have good mpg(avg.8L\100km). I still remember the extreme case with my 540, there was almost impossible to pass 3000rpm while I was living with it in Hong Kong.
Impreza was lacking in power, but it give you good mpg. I picked it over other choice this round for its chassis, space and style. Second choice are golf wagon, but reliability base on pass experience of my 02 passat 4 motion and 08 Passat wagon 2.0t really make me think twice. Acura ilx is my wife favorite, but not mine. Corolla hatch back off my list because of tight rear seat and small trunk. Not a friend of civic and Mazda 3 style. Not much choice left for hatchback. Liked the Volvo V60, but really don't want spend too much on car this moment. Hope this info could help others too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.