5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Impreza 5 Door base 5MT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided to put a set of Crosstrek wheels on my Impreza and was wondering what kind of tires those of you who run a 17” wheel use.

I was looking at All Season tires as I live in a hilly area in New England and size wise 205/50R17 and 215/50R17. Not sure what other sizes would be good for it. I may have bought one set of tires in my life so I simply know little about them.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,913 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am currently running:

Achilles ATR Sport tires (225/45R17)

I had never heard of them before I got them (they were already mounted on the STi wheels I bought), but they’ll absolutely be replaced with the same.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am currently running:

Achilles ATR Sport tires (225/45R17)

I had never heard of them before I got them (they were already mounted on the STi wheels I bought), but they’ll absolutely be replaced with the same.
View attachment 23213
very cool they look good and I didn’t know I could fit a 225 I was under the impression they were too wide. That opens up the tire options a fair amount. Are they good in the wet and snow?

·
Registered
34 Posts
very cool they look good and I didn’t know I could fit a 225 I was under the impression they were too wide. That opens up the tire options a fair amount. Are they good in the wet and snow?
They have been fine in the wet for me - they are directional with rain grooves so that really helps. No snow testing, but I doubt they’d do fantastic - they’re a stickier tire.

·
Registered
264 Posts
225/45/17 on Konig 17 x 8 wheels 40mm offset. These cornered the best and were the same height as stock but were less than ideal for potholes etc. Steering was a little heavier than stock but you likely wouldn't notice unless you corner very hard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
215/50/17 tires on 2016 Forester wheels. 17x7 48mm offset. A tiny bit taller than stock which I liked for my crappy streets. View attachment 23223 View attachment 23226 View attachment 23227
Both sets look great on your car. I personally really like the Forester rims on there but I’m partial to OEM wheels on a car if they fit right. I went with the 17in Crosstrek wheels and was going to go with a 215-50-17 I wonder if I should drop down to a 45 however NY roads are awful so the extra clearance may not be a bad thing

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check these badass rims out. I think these are 16 inches. Completely stock.
View attachment 23228
Haha this is what I have now. I’m not against the steelies but I wanted to put snow tires on those and run a bigger set for the rest of the year to fill in some wheel gap and get my brother off my ass for buying a base model car lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
Both sets look great on your car. I personally really like the Forester rims on there but I’m partial to OEM wheels on a car if they fit right. I went with the 17in Crosstrek wheels and was going to go with a 215-50-17 I wonder if I should drop down to a 45 however NY roads are awful so the extra clearance may not be a bad thing

I believe some Crosstech wheels have the same exact spec as those Forester wheels, just not the current ones. My speedometer was more accurate with the taller Tires and gave a smoother ride. If you have bad roads 45s are much more likely to get damaged or go out of balance. A little increase in size made a big difference. In hindsight I didn't really like the 225/45/17s unless the road was very smooth which is rare.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe some Crosstech wheels have the same exact spec as those Forester wheels, just not the current ones. My speedometer was more accurate with the taller Tires and gave a smoother ride. If you have bad roads 45s are much more likely to get damaged or go out of balance. A little increase in size made a big difference.
I was thinking about mounting one of the rims with the stock Crosstrek tire that’s on it which is a 55 but I think it’ll be too wide. Found a set of Goodyear all seasons in 215/50/17 which I think will work out

·
Registered
264 Posts
If the crosstech tire is a 225/55/17 I suspect it will be too big. Do searches on here and you can see what people have run and if it rubbed or not. Anything you can ask about has probably been done many times on here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the crosstech tire is a 225/55/17 I suspect it will be too big. Do searches on here and you can see what people have run and if it rubbed or not. Anything you can ask about has probably been done many times on here.
I did some reading on here and a moderator gave me a link so some info as well. Another member is running the same wheels I bought with the 215 on his identical car and a chart I found on here confirmed it. As for the rubbing I’m not sure 100% but I expect it would be too wide. Tires are no good anyway so it’s no loss to replace them

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got it. After running 215s and 225s I've decided that 215s are more than good enough with the stock suspension, narrower tires are better in the rain and snow, and lighter tires improve acceleration and mileage. Buy some nice new tires, your car deserves it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it. After running 215s and 225s I've decided that 215s are more than good enough with the stock suspension, narrower tires are better in the rain and snow, and lighter tires improve acceleration and mileage. Buy some nice new tires, your car deserves it.
I went with a Goodyear Assurance all season tire. Ordered them today and dropped everything off at the tire shop so they can get it done for me. Now just waiting for the car to come back from the dealer repaired 😄

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finally got my car back from the dealer and I think the wheels/tires ended up looking pretty good 😁
D53BF53F-9A9A-43F5-A1BC-20DCAC2D15B7.jpeg

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree, those wheels look good on your car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts