5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Sapphire Blue 2023 Base Sedan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First-time Subaru owner here. Previous car was a 1996 Ford Ranger (will be missed!) Ordered the car (2023 Saph. blue Impreza Base sedan --- options: Auto-dim rear mirror; auto-dim side mirrors w/ approach lights; remote starter) back in July and finally got it mid-December. Despite the dealership's best efforts, I'm pleased with the car (got screwed around by the finance manager but that's another story) and just put 1600 miles on it, which got me thinking about engine break-in and preventative maintenance going forward.

I'm hoping to solicit advice regarding preventative maintenance from you guys - specifically the stuff the manual might not mention or car/Subaru knowledge that I haven't had time to learn, being a 24 year old. I'm not a genius when it comes to cars, but I have changed brakes, replaced starters, swapped batteries, etc. so I have some technical knowledge and am not afraid to waste 6 hours doing something myself to 1) save some money and 2) make sure it gets done the right way.

Coming into this car, based on what I'd heard from my brother I expected that I might eventually have issues with the head gasket and oil consumption, but based on what I read from this forum, those issues are mostly gone. Beside those, do any other issues tend to frequently pop up with Subarus/Imprezas that I want to look out for?

A set of some quick general questions I have bouncing around my head:
1) Checking the oil - Do you guys do this every 2 fuel-ups as per the manual? Wouldn't you want to be checking it cold, and not after you've driven to a gas station?
2) Fuel additives - When I used to work at a Toyota dealership, an old-timer told me about Marvel Mystery Oil and how it can be really great to keep a car healthy. Does anyone use anything like this?
3) I have the default 3yr/36k warranty - seeing as I intend on having this car for a long while, would it be logical to get 10yr/100k extension? If I intend to do my own work, would that void the warranty, even if I stick to original Subaru parts?
4) Dealership I bought from has a lifetime limited powertrain warranty - anyone have experience with such a thing? After some browsing on this forum it seems the consensus is that it's a sales tactic.

I'll probably be back at this forum with hundreds more questions but that's all for now I guess... Thanks for reading lol

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
404 Posts
I don't really check oil that often, once a month. I pay attention to my garage ensuring I don't have any leaks. I've never seen any burning of oil nor low oil levels in mine. I followed the owners manual break in instructions best I could.

Fuel additives won't do anything for our vehicles except the fuel injector cleaner, as we still have injectors. But our engines are direct injected rather than port injected. Meaning fuel goes directly into cylinder vs. sprayed on intake valve. Eventually your engine will need a top-end cleaning. Owners manual recommends every 60k miles I believe. I forget. I plan on getting it done at 18k miles based on other threads how they see the valves getting dirty. As for Marvel Mystery Oil, I only just started testing it in my Isuzu Rodeo V6 since she's been burning oil for quite a while.

3yr/36mo is for everything outside power train, which if I remember correctly, is 5yr/60mo. Could be longer if not. I don't care for extended warranties, I have two backup vehicles should I need to decommission the Impreza for repair.
Should you do your own work, keep receipts and evidence of work for your vehicle, dealers get very picky when it comes to warranty work. Maintenance items shouldn't affect your warranty. Changing your oil pan or the intake manifold could affect it, but realistically you shouldn't have an issue. So long as it it's reversible you'll be fine.

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
130 Posts
First off Congratulations on your first Subaru! You have chosen a fine generation of the Impreza. I myself am a very happy and proud owner of a 17 Sport hatchback model. I will address your questions and concerns the best I can from my own experiences.
1. I only check my oil when it's about 1,000 miles away from its 6,000 mile oil change interval. In the beginning I had to add a quart of oil. I think since it was still breaking in and the fact that I held gears longer and did lots of down shifting. Yeah I have the 5 speed manual. Manuals are known to consume some oil from lots of downshifting. It's also stated in the manual. You shouldn't have that issue since you have the CVT. I currently haven't had anymore oil consumption since I changed my shifting behavior and I guess from it being broken in now with just over 35k on the motor. The last two oil changes had no loss of oil prior to oil change.
2. Additives. I personally use LuqiMoly. I use Valve Clean and Jectron that's meant to clean the valves and injectors. I also use
Ceratec motor oil additive by them too. I just put in it's 2nd application at 29K. It's meant to used every 30k miles. You will still need to the do the top end clean which can be done at Subaru or any shop or you can get the Subaru DIY kit.
3. I myself invested in the extended 4year 70k warranty. It didn't cost much and has served me well when one of my front CV axles started to click earlier last year. That job alone would of cost me over 500 for parts and labor. I still have over a year left with this extended warranty. I highly recommend the protection the extended warranty will offer you.
4. Never heard of that limetime drivetrain warranty.
I hope you have a very pleasant time with your newly acquired Subaru Impreza.

· Registered
2023 Subaru Impreza base 5 speed sedan
33 Posts
Congrats. I recently acquired a base sedan and I am still bonding with it. We're supposed to get some accumulating snow tomorrow so I am anxious to test the all wheel drive.
I;m sure you will find lots of information here. FYI I have about 1200 miles on the ride now and thus far has not used any oil.

· Registered
143 Posts
I sold my impr but i can answer these. 2017 Impreza hatch

1: No, I did have a burning oil problem before i sold it however. Probably should have checked it twice a month. Wasnt really expecting it to burn oil that much.
2:Yes, i do it once every 10-15k
3:No unless youre planning to keep it past 100k which imo is when things get sketchy with subarus
4: No

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
797 Posts
1. I look every once in a while. 2+ times per oil change. Change once every 4-6k, depending on driving type.
2. Yeah I use MMO or TC-W3 and have positive result.
3. I wouldn't do it.
4. I wouldn't do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts