5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just outside of Sacramento, my first new car from a dealer! (maybe my last), it's metalic gray, manual 5 speed, with just a few scratches. I have one particular driver opinion about this car. The biggest obstacle for me was learning the manual transmission, I'm not new to manuals, however, this car is different. This is what I found. In order to shift this car efficiently, I have learned to change gears at he first available moment. in other words, never rev the thing up and try to finess the clutch .Here's my procedure for engaging gears: First, from a stand still and with the rpm about 1200, engage the clutch, change the gear, and drop the clutch. now comes the hard part because the rpm is low the car will react a couple of ways, let the AWD system load up meaning, once the clutch is dropped the engine is under load until all four wheels have started to propel the vehicle (2wd vehcles do not experience this as much). this may take a few seconds depending on speed and terrain. once the vehicle has attained positive motion forward by all four wheels lightly touch the accelerator pedal and feel. Now, another point here is the car may lug considerably while applying the accelerator. if it does, release the accelerator pedal immediately and wait for the car to catch up to the gear change. This process may also be used when changing from first to second. let me know if you have adopted a similar approach to driving or shall I say cruising this vehicle. Note: people honk at me all the time. I am a cruiser not a driver, I like my car and want it to last. Here is something to consider, high compression engines stress at high RPM, (2017 impreza 2.0, 11-1 compression ratio) use the lowest torque output possible to keep heat and wear to a minimum. oh yeah, 91 octane in California keeps me happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
She does take little to get use to. I've drove single sync 5spd, unsynced 1tons, and an 18spd once hah, this girl threw me for a loop. Trick is (for me) short shift 1st, slip 2nd, then 3rd and up your good. 3rd on low rev you can slip a bit too if so inclined. It's that damn rev hang and narrow friction zone. Took me about 2-3 months to get her super uber smooth, even longer for the old lady.....but you will get her and learn how to use the rpms(which she likes) smoothly. Get comfy then experiment 1k at a time. Congrats on new purchase

1 - 2 of 2 Posts