5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an interesting one...

1. The locking mechanism that allows you to adjust your steering wheel up/down, in/out is failing. Even with the lock pushed all of the way closed, I can still easily move the wheel up (can't move it down). So if I have the wheel adjusted so that it is closer to my knees and then lock it, I am able to physically push the wheel all of the way upwards.

2. I also experience a rattling sound around the driver side windshield. I originally thought it was just the driver side windshield wiper rattling, but the sound persists, even when the wipers are in motion. It only seems to occur at 60+ mph. I'll be curious if it persists in the warmer weather - it was hovering around mid-30s on my long drive home yesterday.

Would like to isolate the rattling issue before taking it to Subaru, as they'll probably just tell me they can't reproduce the sound.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I cannot help you on #1 because all the cars I have owned adjustable steering columns locked
as it should. It could be a safety issue if loose and you have to make a sudden steering change.
The lock lever is probably attached to a clamp bolt, I would let the dealer solve the problem.

Clifton

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just take it up with the dealer, and if they refuse to do anything about it then take it up with SOA. Good luck, there is always problems with cars when they first come out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
See if maybe the locking handle got bent, so its not really able to lock the column. Its pretty flimsy and maybe you can just bend it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep - dealer is ordering a whole new steering wheel column. The service advisor mentioned he's never seen that one happen before.

I have a feeling the whistling will only happen in the colder weather - went out driving at a warmer temp and haven't observed it yet. May be tough to isolate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's an interesting one...

1. The locking mechanism that allows you to adjust your steering wheel up/down, in/out is failing. Even with the lock pushed all of the way closed, I can still easily move the wheel up (can't move it down). So if I have the wheel adjusted so that it is closer to my knees and then lock it, I am able to physically push the wheel all of the way upwards.

2. I also experience a rattling sound around the driver side windshield. I originally thought it was just the driver side windshield wiper rattling, but the sound persists, even when the wipers are in motion. It only seems to occur at 60+ mph. I'll be curious if it persists in the warmer weather - it was hovering around mid-30s on my long drive home yesterday.

Would like to isolate the rattling issue before taking it to Subaru, as they'll probably just tell me they can't reproduce the sound.
It is a simple fix with a 12mm wrench. There is a bolt that goes through the steering wheel support that needs to be tightened just a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn. If you look up on the right side of the steering wheel column, you will see a nut with a few washers and a red dot on the nut. It needs to be tighten only a small amount. If tightened too much the tilt and telescope will not move; if you do tighten too much, just back it off. If you are not sure if you are looking at the correct bolt, tilt the column up and down and you will see it move with it. The left hand side has the bolt head with a retainer on it, which it in turn is held by a small bolt which won't come out. This is a one minute fix.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts