5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , so I met with my dealer a few days ago to see what he was able to get out of the Subaru training event for the 2017 Impreza that was for dealers only. When I ordered my car, he offered to ask them about the questions I had on some of the technical specs that were proposed for the concept but were not yet confirmed for the production model.

Cylinder Deactivation -- Not included. Would have reduced the number of cylinders from 4 to 3 during cruising or other times when all the HP of the engine is not being utilized.

Auto Engine Stop/Start -- Not included. This would have shut the engine off when sitting at a light with the brake pressed after a specific amount of time and then restart it automatically.

For the two features above, the reason given was the miniscule amount of fuel savings vs the cost of implementing the new technologies in production. Adding more points of failure and increased maintenance costs were also noted.

Backup Camera Always On -- Not possible. For safety reasons, the backup camera cannot be set to always be on. I would to love to have had this.

Hood Struts/Dampeners -- This he wasn't sure about because the vehicles at the dealer training event were all pre-production models and they weren't able to get a very good look at the engine compartment for very long.. The videos on youtube I've seen for some of the 2017 impreza models do NOT show the hood struts and just use a regular hood arm to hold it up.

Headrest Tilt -- Headrests cannot be flipped around without cutting the seat open. I am not a very tall person, so the tilting forward style of the headrests used in all newer vehicles is a problem for me. He said the 2017 Impreza headrests look like the ones used in the 2017 Legacy. They don't look as bad some I have seen, but I'll have to wait until I actually sit in mine and see if it a problem for me or not. I know they have different tilt settings, but even when set fully upright, the cars I have sat in with these newer headrests always force my head down and it makes driving very uncomfortable. They have been able to flip them around in the past, but they had to cut the seat open from the back to do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you pwllms for adding to our knowledge pool. My local dealer says that they are getting in their first 2017 Impreza in stock in December. Can't wait. I too have lots of questions that only hands-on for me inside/next to the car will help.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very happy that the Auto start/stop thing isn't happening. That thing is extremely annoying, to me, and I would have had to find a way to deactivate it anyhow. Hood struts/Dampers can be installed via aftermarket and they're not difficult at all or expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts