5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am new here and new to Subaru so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had handling issues with their 2017 Impreza models. I have a 2017 Impreza and regardless of where or how I drive the car has a very soft floaty almost drifty feel to it, it never really seems planted on the road. It does handle better in snow and ice and I have had it in under warranty for it (they say its like every other new car however the Legacy loaner they gave me felt more planted). I have taken the car in and had it aligned and that did help some but it still doesn't feel right. Being new to Subaru, maybe its a Subaru thing but for comparison, I have driven and never felt as unsafe in a 2003 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 05 Ranger, 97 98 01 Saturn SC, 2018 Challenger, and many more. Does anyone maybe have suggestions to improve handling, honestly I am at the point where as soon as I can I will be getting another vehicle and either parking this one to try to improve it or just outright get rid of it. Thank you.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not here to troll, and the Saturn was pretty low to, although not as low on the 97 the floor was completely rotted out allowing the body to flex. The 97 still handled better and got better mileage. I will post pics of the Subaru when I get a chance to take some. Also its not a matter of cornering or anything, its in a straight line the Impreza has sent me into the next lane as a result of the handling. Any suggestions or recommendations of things to look at or consider improving would be appreciated.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was shocked how much the non-sport models (I drove all versions before buying) wandered, as well, and how much they leaned in turns. The Sport model is drastically different. Flat cornering, doesn't wander. What model do you have?

Its a Premium 5 door, (I know its essentially a base model) Its just weird the car tends to wander primarily on dry pavement. Almost makes me wonder if its the Awd fighting itself at times but I am not sure. I even thought of maybe tires but again I am not sure yet.

· Registered
157 Posts
Not the AWD. Could be an alignment. The tires on the Premium to leave a lot to be desired.

My second 2017 Impreza Sport needed an alignment at under 1,000 miles, as it was too dirty. Zero dead center. The dealer (Subaru of Daytona - Florida) did a stellar job. Under warranty, totally fixed, super happy.

I'd complain to the dealer about the warranty and possibly ask for a little more toe in. The smallest increase they can do. If that doesn't solve it, a change to a performance oriented tire will likely help.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did get it aligned last Saturday and contacted the dealer. Dealer says they don't look at the alignment unless it is requested or a problem is found. It does handle better but still seems a little off so far. I will probably tried tires as suggested.

· Registered
198 Posts
Does this happen all the time or have you noticed it only on rough and older paved roads? If only occasionally, you may be experiencing a phenomenon referred to as "tramlining". I had a set of Pirelli's that would almost rip the steering wheel out of your hands when they hit a groove in the pavement. Tires play a very major role in a car's handling and tracking, more than some people realize.

Edit: You posted in another thread that you are looking into coilovers to correct tracking. IMHO, they will not do anything to correct your issue. As long as the road is not rutted, the suspension doesn't even come into play.

· Registered
157 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,190 Posts
" its in a straight line the Impreza has sent me into the next lane as a result of the handling"

Sounds like a seriously mechanical issue or user problems.

I am having a hard time believing that you can't keep a Subaru Impreza in a straight line.

I also have a hard time believing that if you took it into the dealer and told them the same thing you posted here that they didn't drive it. And if they kept it in a straight line then the problem is not the car.

· Registered
35 Posts
Hey I am new here and new to Subaru so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had handling issues with their 2017 Impreza models. I have a 2017 Impreza and regardless of where or how I drive the car has a very soft floaty almost drifty feel to it, it never really seems planted on the road. It does handle better in snow and ice and I have had it in under warranty for it (they say its like every other new car however the Legacy loaner they gave me felt more planted). I have taken the car in and had it aligned and that did help some but it still doesn't feel right. Being new to Subaru, maybe its a Subaru thing but for comparison, I have driven and never felt as unsafe in a 2003 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 05 Ranger, 97 98 01 Saturn SC, 2018 Challenger, and many more. Does anyone maybe have suggestions to improve handling, honestly I am at the point where as soon as I can I will be getting another vehicle and either parking this one to try to improve it or just outright get rid of it. Thank you.
I am into my second week with a 2018 premium. I experience the same thing constantly correcting.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The coilovers I thought of to try to maybe stiffen the suspension a little for handling.
It happens regardless of new or old roads and only on dry roads not when wet or snow covered.
If I get a chance I can upload the service documentation to prove I took it in. It won't prove what's happening but I can say it does sway and seem a little off. I can keep ancar even with warn out suspension in a straight line. Or a truck with stiff suspension I can keep in a straight line. This car just doesn't want to go straight, it always wants to wander and although not all the time before the alignment it did send me into the other lane. The alignment has helped but I will be looking at those tires probably this week.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I noticed the twitchy feeling but I attibute that to the sensitivity of the steering. Another reason I kind of question the suspension is over the rumble strips on the expressway ( there was a comment I had to go over the strips at a crawl in stop and go traffic) the car felt like it was flexing, so my first guess was the suspension was maybe to soft

· Registered
16 Posts
I very experienced driver. I bought '18 Impreza Sport 5-door as run around town / quick commute work car. Not bad for $. Few minor complaints but o.k. for the $. Well, that's until get up to highway speed or close to !!!!! Horrible. Unbearable twitchy. Truly horrible. Truly terrible. Impossible not to look like a toddler who stole for a joyride. Amazed do not hear more about it. Impossible to relax continue straight. I believe the steering ratio...13:1?? Truly horrible. Literally just keeping car now b/c have other cars and this one not very expensive (kinda) and just run around town and little more in winters. Truly horrible. Will take anywhere 50mph max and then dont care to touch and will take another car. Not tires or alignment...its platform and steering ratio - engineering disaster of some kind. Anyone from Subaru take a test drive at highway speed before launch production ?

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it's a engineering issue. I just think something with my car atleast isn't right. This car just doesn't handle like any other car I have ever driven. Regardless of the manufacturer or the type. Maybe it's a combo of things but then again maybe it's just a result of mass production. It happens and I am not complaining however for me personally it is a issue where I would rather the car sit as opposed to feeling unsafe. If I could afford to I would either trade it for a different model or even another Impreza which absolutely drove different then mine, or I would get a 2nd vehicle while figuring this out. It wouldn't take much just the handling of dry pavement doesn't feel right.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Basically the handling feels like the car is constantly floating and the back end feels like it is really loose and wants to drive past the front at times. The car almost feels like it's on skates when it's dry pavement. It's not even a feel like a uneven or rough road.

· Registered
16 Posts
Input much too toucy (no speed sensitive adjusted) and then rear of platform follows ("lags") behind oversensitive...then onto correcting that...and so on and so on. Horrible. Almost seems as does have speed adjusted power steering its just set the wrong way !!...combined with horrible platform setup. Save it for the snow storms...after lift and stock Yoko into trash.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts