5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

· Registered
957 Posts
That for our cars? Claims to only go to 16.
On Subispeed, the "Perrin Steering Dampener Lockdown for Subarus (psp-sus-565)" that pprknight listed says it's 2015+ WRX / 2014+ FORESTER / 2013+ CROSSTREK, but it correctly fit my car. Apparently the steering components are parts bin items at Subaru, being common to multiple models.

· Registered
157 Posts
I'm even more pleased with this gizmo; Perrin compatibility chart

On Subispeed, the "Perrin Steering Dampener Lockdown for Subarus (psp-sus-565)" that pprknight listed says it's 2015+ WRX / 2014+ FORESTER / 2013+ CROSSTREK, but it correctly fit my car. Apparently the steering components are parts bin items at Subaru, being common to multiple models.

There is a compatibility chart on the Perrin web site www.perrin.com that says 08 to 17 Impreza for the (psp-sus-565) unit. The other manufacturers and sources?? Dunno!

Chart cut and paste:
2002-2005 WRX - No
2006-2007 WRX - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2008-2014 WRX - Yes
2015-2018 WRX - Yes
2013-2017 Crosstrek - Yes
2004-2017 STI - No, car has no dampener.
1993-2003 Impreza - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2004 Impreza - Yes
2005-2007 Impreza - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2008-2017 Impreza - Yes
2005-2009 Legacy - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2010-2014 Legacy - Yes
2010-2014 Legacy GT - Yes
2015-2017 Legacy - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2015-2017 Legacy GT - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2004-2013 Forester - No, to be confirmed. See note below.
2005 Outback XT - Yes
2014-2017 Forester - Yes
2013-2016 FR-S - No
2013-2016 BRZ - No

*May fit other models with a dampener that matches the diagram below.

I'm even more pleased with this gizmo's effect after a recent drive from the Pittsburgh area to the Flight 93 National Memorial and then on to the Gettysburg PA Civil War Battlefield. 4 plus hours each way; 200 miles round trip at 70 plus on the PA Turnpike in calm and windy and sunny and rainy conditions this last week (see the storms that hit the north east Tuesday May 15 ???).

Another 250 miles round trip portion on the Lincoln Hwy, US Rt 30 with pretty steep grades and mountain switch backs that made me appreciate the car's original fast steering and the new lack of steering "flex" in the curves. The crazy locals drive these roads like they were in the Italian Alps!!! Run-away truck ramps and highway warning markers like snakes. When they road sign mark the curves at 20mph these authorities mean it!!! I know, I know... it's not the Rockies, but the Alleghenies are a lot greener currently in my opinion. I bet the PA road signs have more bullet holes in em too; although I think I see even more of those in WVA; hey a new game for the kids, "count the road sign holes".:surprise:

Not much else to try on the Premium 2017 Impreza 5-door. I'm done until its time to try new Michelin Defender tires; the Continentals are wearing well for almost 17k miles in this area. I had great performance with that Michelin tire on a previous car.

I do recommend the trip to the Flight 93 National Memorial and to the Gettysburg PA Civil War Battlefield if you can get to south central Pennsylvania. The newer facilities at both places are impressive. When you see the battlefield you wonder how could these young men stand there and take fire while loading a muzzle loader musket; march a mile into cannon and rifle fire; march 30 miles in a day in the July heat (wearing wool??) and then join a battle directly. Notice the lack of water sources on the battlefield. Then see the number of casualties.

Then you see the Flight 93 Memorial telling the story of the 911 Attacks in great detail. Read with great respect about "seemingly regular" current day unarmed airline passengers become superheros and fight terrorists one day in a new kind of battlefield that took thousands of lives also. Hear their voice mail recorded calls to loved ones - I passed on that opportunity - I'm not that brave - I know my limits.

To all veterans, thank you for your service and sacrifice, particularly if you had to eat cold "Ham and Lima Beans" C-rations more than once. :frown2:

How about getting a flag out this Memorial Day?

· Registered
957 Posts
So far, the steering lockdown unit was totally worth the arm burn. I've had a couple of windy days, and the wandering is much improved.

· Registered
157 Posts
New Ascent steering faulted by consumer reports

Consumer Reports talking cars #169 just out - steering was faulted for the new Ascent platform. Sounds identical to my Impreza complaint. Come on Subaru - address this for our cars. Tighten up the steering dampner.

· Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,190 Posts
That isn't a Perrin (that is why I asked) it says; Brand: Precision Works. And is says it doesn't fit our cars, that is why I asked.

Just trying to help people out on the forum so that they don't purchase items that don't fit our cars.

· Registered
957 Posts
So far, the steering lockdown unit was totally worth the arm burn. I've had a couple of windy days, and the wandering is much improved.
What do you mean when you say "arm burn" is that because it is harder to steer or did you burn your arm putting it in?
Yes. Read above.

· Registered
957 Posts
That isn't a Perrin (that is why I asked) it says; Brand: Precision Works. And is says it doesn't fit our cars, that is why I asked.

Just trying to help people out on the forum so that they don't purchase items that don't fit our cars.
We must be going to different subispeed sites.

Subispeed doesn't list our platform, but as pprknight confirmed Perrin does say it's applicable to this gen platform. I can also confirm it fits. I've been driving with it installed for several months.

· Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,190 Posts

Subispeed doesn't list our platform, but as pprknight confirmed Perrin does say it's applicable to this gen platform. I can also confirm it fits. I've been driving with it installed for several months.
Top of page 9 is what I quoted, post by Su Baru.

Still don't see the post where you explain your arm burn, oh well.

· Banned
83 Posts

Subispeed does list out platform. Click the more and “17+ Impreza” is there.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Ok a update on my handling issue. I am sure someone will say it's not possible but it's true all the same. The handling issues went away at about 18000 miles, about the same time a rear wheel bearing went bad, the car then handled like a dream but howled from the bearing. After taking it in and having the bearing replaced the floaty backend was back, almost exactly like before. 2000 miles later I heard the same howl and after taking the car in they determined the wheel bearing was bad again. Again it was replaced under warranty, however this time when I got the car back there isn't a floaty or loose feel in the back like before, it now handles the same as when it had the bad wheel bearing and is much more pleasant to drive. Not sure what they did or if they did anything other then the bearing, then again they said usually they don't have the bearings go that fast. Honestly I never had a wheel bearing fail in less then 100k miles. But I figured I would update all.

· Registered
29 Posts
Hey I am new here and new to Subaru so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had handling issues with their 2017 Impreza models. I have a 2017 Impreza and regardless of where or how I drive the car has a very soft floaty almost drifty feel to it, it never really seems planted on the road. It does handle better in snow and ice and I have had it in under warranty for it (they say its like every other new car however the Legacy loaner they gave me felt more planted). I have taken the car in and had it aligned and that did help some but it still doesn't feel right. Being new to Subaru, maybe its a Subaru thing but for comparison, I have driven and never felt as unsafe in a 2003 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 05 Ranger, 97 98 01 Saturn SC, 2018 Challenger, and many more. Does anyone maybe have suggestions to improve handling, honestly I am at the point where as soon as I can I will be getting another vehicle and either parking this one to try to improve it or just outright get rid of it. Thank you.
I noticed the same thing. I think a lot of that has to do with the electronic steering vs the old school hydraulic steering you're used to. It's a lot more responsive and doesn't have as much feedback to it.

· Registered
60 Posts
Hey I am new here and new to Subaru so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had handling issues with their 2017 Impreza models. I have a 2017 Impreza and regardless of where or how I drive the car has a very soft floaty almost drifty feel to it, it never really seems planted on the road. It does handle better in snow and ice and I have had it in under warranty for it (they say its like every other new car however the Legacy loaner they gave me felt more planted). I have taken the car in and had it aligned and that did help some but it still doesn't feel right. Being new to Subaru, maybe its a Subaru thing but for comparison, I have driven and never felt as unsafe in a 2003 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 05 Ranger, 97 98 01 Saturn SC, 2018 Challenger, and many more. Does anyone maybe have suggestions to improve handling, honestly I am at the point where as soon as I can I will be getting another vehicle and either parking this one to try to improve it or just outright get rid of it. Thank you.

I'm glad you mention this because I had a loaner car and it was the Limited hatchback. My own personal car is the same trim but in sedan form. However when I drove the loaner car (hatchback), I've noticed the handling felt disconnected or different than my own personal car. I have not done any mods on my car but comparing both, the loaner felt disconnected while my car felt more engaged or planted. I don't know if the electronic steering that varies by the driver just like how transmissions adapt by driver's output or it's something different. All I know is that my own car doesn't suffer the handling issue. It's good but I do plan on putting better tires over the stock tires.

· Registered
16 Posts
Havent checked post / logged in for quite a while. Seems to me many agreeing. Its a disaster highway speeds...many good analogies I see this post and other posts. The rubber band in steering system is accurate and the wobbling arms from correcting constantly is another. A joke Subaru no fix. Forget about 1/16 of toe in fixing. Gonna try the Perrin..let ya know. Thanks for the Perrin mention post.
Signed, always happy until get in Impreza (haha).

· Registered
35 Posts
I have also studied this complaint in detail on my 2018 5-door. I only have 3000 miles on my car and the amount of steering corrections it takes to stay straight is unbelievable. I'm headed to take it in for service and write to corporate Subaru since I'm predicting the dealer will say they can't duplicate the problem. I had a Camry with the electric power steering and you could feel the steering was different but it tracked straight without a million steering input corrections to stay on track. My observations to date are:

1) Below 55-60 mph the steering feels normal.
2) 75-80 mph the car requires constant steering input corrections to stay on track with where you want to go. Especially on a straight road. Feels dangerous. It can be abrupt.
3) Tire pressure - zero impact.
4) Add a windy day and the magnitude of steering inputs significantly increases.
5) Lane assist and other assists on or off has no impact.
6) 4 other cars I drive on the exact same roads take almost no steering inputs. I was amazed my 2015 Toyota Highlander on a really windy day took almost zero steering input to go straight.
7) I read the wheel bearing input. I hear and see no signs of a wheel bearing issue.

I'm trying to think through if there is a simple method to quantify the magnitude of the steering inputs/corrections required to stay straight. If I can find a method I'll measure it on a few different cars. They really need a fix for this. With the right combination of wind and speed the car does make some abrupt moves that forces steering corrections. Again, it is not the lane assist making corrections. If someone has discovered a fix please let me know.

· Registered
291 Posts
My 50th anniversary 5 door was the same way when I first got it, felt like I needed to constantly correct on the freeway. Once I upgraded to new wheels and tires the issue was gone. Tracks dead straight now. I upgraded from the stock 205/50/17 Firestone FT140s to a set of 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ mounted on Volk Racing TE37 SAGA wheels. Now, with the addition of upgraded front and rear strut bars from Cusco and an upgraded Hardrace front sway bar, the car handles exceptionally well. Especially considering I'm still running stock springs and dampers.

· Registered
368 Posts
I suspect many here have never had a car with such a quick steering ratio. The Impreza is very sporty as far as ride height and steering ratio. I absolutely love the stock set up but compared to many cars it is a bit aggressive. Electric power steering just kinda sucks but the Subaru one is decent. My 350z has hydraulic PS and the feedback in the steering wheel is awesome, you can actually feel the tires which helps a lot when it’s driven at the limit.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts