5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I would agree with post above Gosubie65. Good summary. I would modify item 2 to 65-80. P.s...it is horrible, horrible, horrible. Look like a 9 year old driving down the highway - surprised not pulled over for questioning why all over the highway.

· Registered
35 Posts
Its a Premium 5 door, (I know its essentially a base model) Its just weird the car tends to wander primarily on dry pavement. Almost makes me wonder if its the Awd fighting itself at times but I am not sure. I even thought of maybe tires but again I am not sure yet.
If you search around the forum you will see complaints of a "wandering" feeling of the car but the posts that I have read have usually observed this at higher road speeds. I personally have this problem with my 2018 and it is very pronounced at 75-80 mph on the highway. With wind, it not safe in my opinion. Around down, I've found the handling and tracking to be fine. Over 70 mph, it does not track straight and seems to wander in jumps.

I've not yet taken it to the dealer since they are an hour away. I'll report back once I see what they do.

· Registered
2018 Impreza Premium
56 Posts
My 50th anniversary 5 door was the same way when I first got it, felt like I needed to constantly correct on the freeway. Once I upgraded to new wheels and tires the issue was gone. Tracks dead straight now. I upgraded from the stock 205/50/17 Firestone FT140s to a set of 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ mounted on Volk Racing TE37 SAGA wheels.
I have thought that tires could be my issue too. According to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ the only major difference is 0.8" width per tire. Combined, thats 3.2" of extra rubber touching the ground. The 0.5" less sidewall/more wheel, I'm sure stiffens up responsiveness. What are your wheel dimensions?

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
Truclmanson78, I have the same exact problems with everything that you've mentioned. I love the car itself but man, keeping this thing in line in any kind of wind, no matter how slight is very hard. 40-60 MPH winds yesterday on Route 80 in NJ/Pa and it was all i could do to keep myself in a lane. When I first brought it home, I thought it was the windy days only that this happened but even with the slighty breezy days, and some days with no winds, the car is horrible with handling/floating. Thought maybe the tires were the problem and I'm just waiting to wear the down to replace. Just looking on these forums to see if there is anyone who knows exactly why this is happening.

· Registered
4 Posts
Tramlining

Truclmanson78, I have the same exact problems with everything that you've mentioned. I love the car itself but man, keeping this thing in line in any kind of wind, no matter how slight is very hard. 40-60 MPH winds yesterday on Route 80 in NJ/Pa and it was all i could do to keep myself in a lane. When I first brought it home, I thought it was the windy days only that this happened but even with the slighty breezy days, and some days with no winds, the car is horrible with handling/floating. Thought maybe the tires were the problem and I'm just waiting to wear the down to replace. Just looking on these forums to see if there is anyone who knows exactly why this is happening.
This is exactly how my 2019 5 door behaves. Its worse on roads with rain grooves but this is unacceptable and dangerous. I thought it was just me getting used to the car but my 2006 Land Rover is easier to drive at 80mph than this car. I'm going back to the dealer but don't expect them to do anything as this is so common of an issue.

· Registered
21 Posts
Hey I am new here and new to Subaru so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had handling issues with their 2017 Impreza models. I have a 2017 Impreza and regardless of where or how I drive the car has a very soft floaty almost drifty feel to it, it never really seems planted on the road. It does handle better in snow and ice and I have had it in under warranty for it (they say its like every other new car however the Legacy loaner they gave me felt more planted). I have taken the car in and had it aligned and that did help some but it still doesn't feel right. Being new to Subaru, maybe its a Subaru thing but for comparison, I have driven and never felt as unsafe in a 2003 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 05 Ranger, 97 98 01 Saturn SC, 2018 Challenger, and many more. Does anyone maybe have suggestions to improve handling, honestly I am at the point where as soon as I can I will be getting another vehicle and either parking this one to try to improve it or just outright get rid of it. Thank you.
Just found your post not sure if you done anything to your car yet but I’d recommend a front strut brace if you have extra money…I just put a Perrin one on my parents car and it handles way better

· Registered
3 Posts
I have also studied this complaint in detail on my 2018 5-door. I only have 3000 miles on my car and the amount of steering corrections it takes to stay straight is unbelievable. I'm headed to take it in for service and write to corporate Subaru since I'm predicting the dealer will say they can't duplicate the problem. I had a Camry with the electric power steering and you could feel the steering was different but it tracked straight without a million steering input corrections to stay on track. My observations to date are:

1) Below 55-60 mph the steering feels normal.
2) 75-80 mph the car requires constant steering input corrections to stay on track with where you want to go. Especially on a straight road. Feels dangerous. It can be abrupt.
3) Tire pressure - zero impact.
4) Add a windy day and the magnitude of steering inputs significantly increases.
5) Lane assist and other assists on or off has no impact.
6) 4 other cars I drive on the exact same roads take almost no steering inputs. I was amazed my 2015 Toyota Highlander on a really windy day took almost zero steering input to go straight.
7) I read the wheel bearing input. I hear and see no signs of a wheel bearing issue.

I'm trying to think through if there is a simple method to quantify the magnitude of the steering inputs/corrections required to stay straight. If I can find a method I'll measure it on a few different cars. They really need a fix for this. With the right combination of wind and speed the car does make some abrupt moves that forces steering corrections. Again, it is not the lane assist making corrections. If someone has discovered a fix please let me know.
Just bought my 1st Subie. 2022 Impreza base sedan and noticed the way it gets pushed around on the highway, not bad when alone on the road. Cars start passing it gets pushed around, tolerable. But, on a windy day, this is a safety issue! I bought the car for a 3rd car, mainly for the kids, I don't feel safe letting them drive it. It is all I can do to keep it between the lines when it is windy. I took it to the dealer, left it there. They called me a few days later, the tech drove it on a 10 mile loop, said I'm just not used to a small car, it is perfectly normal. I asked for the alignment records to see if anything looked odd to me, they responded, the tech said it drove so well, he didn't do an alignment, he looked the car over and said everything was perfect.

I guess the next thing is to call Subaru of America and open a complaint. I've had the car two weeks and it is currently a lawn ornament. I hate the thought of buying strut braces and steering spacers and whatever else to fix Subaru's problem.

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
797 Posts
My issues with wandering were caused by a dead zone in the steering refusing smaller inputs and was resolved by installing a perrin steering dampner lockdown. At the time of install I already had a front strut tower brace so that may be the second part of the equation. Nonetheless, I've been pushed by wind on bridges while sitting 2" higher than stock and was able to correct.

· Registered
3 Posts
My issues with wandering were caused by a dead zone in the steering refusing smaller inputs and was resolved by installing a perrin steering dampner lockdown. At the time of install I already had a front strut tower brace so that may be the second part of the equation. Nonetheless, I've been pushed by wind on bridges while sitting 2" higher than stock and was able to correct.
Thanks Subarik, took it back into the dealership, they did an alignment, it was within tolerance but, off. The tech zeroed it out, test drove, checked it again, zeroed it out again and gave it back to me. I think it is actually worse:--( I put a steering damper on, it does help, I'm thinking about trying sway bars from a WRX. thoughts

· Registered
957 Posts
For this issue, setting the alignment to +.05 toe in for the front add additional straight line stability and is still within spec. I think dealerships typically set it to 0 deg toe in which the steering geometry in this car doesn't really like. The steering lockdown does a really good job and this alignment also helps.

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
797 Posts
Thanks Subarik, took it back into the dealership, they did an alignment, it was within tolerance but, off. The tech zeroed it out, test drove, checked it again, zeroed it out again and gave it back to me. I think it is actually worse:--( I put a steering damper on, it does help, I'm thinking about trying sway bars from a WRX. thoughts
sway bar isn't your problem. I did all I mentioned before I installed a rear sway bar in my base car.

· Registered
3 Posts
NoSlushbox, my front toe is sitting on a perfect 0:( Factory was -.09 left & +.11 right, the rear was +.2 left & +.09 right (a little out of whack) Will see if i can get them to make that adjustment to +.05.
Subarik, copy, I'm planning to install anyway to reduce roll, may have some benefit.

Thanks guys!

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey I am new here and new to Subaru so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had handling issues with their 2017 Impreza models. I have a 2017 Impreza and regardless of where or how I drive the car has a very soft floaty almost drifty feel to it, it never really seems planted on the road. It does handle better in snow and ice and I have had it in under warranty for it (they say its like every other new car however the Legacy loaner they gave me felt more planted). I have taken the car in and had it aligned and that did help some but it still doesn't feel right. Being new to Subaru, maybe its a Subaru thing but for comparison, I have driven and never felt as unsafe in a 2003 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, 05 Ranger, 97 98 01 Saturn SC, 2018 Challenger, and many more. Does anyone maybe have suggestions to improve handling, honestly I am at the point where as soon as I can I will be getting another vehicle and either parking this one to try to improve it or just outright get rid of it. Thank you.
could you be reacting to the lane keep assist. when i got my 2017 sport i noticed the same issue and it was my lane keep assist that was giving the twitch and erratic fight with the wheel to keep straight

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
Has anyone of you tried ordering parts from here? I was looking to buy a wheel for my 2017 Ford Mustang for an upgrade. I'm so excited to do the upgrades, even though my husband will be the one who will do it. Please let me know your thoughts.
I'm not sure if anyone has used a Ford dealer for parts, but there are some OEM upgrade wheels available from Subaru Parts Online from Subaru of America

They have some decent STi wheels available for our cars that I've been eyeing. If only my wallet didn't have a bottom to it.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts