5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I bought a brand new 2017 Impreza custom ordered and received it in May. I have had multiple problems, radio shuts off randomly, will play on blast on one speaker, when shifting to reverse there is a loud buzzing played throughout all the speakers, my air conditioning doesn't work. Now this car has less than 2000 miles on it, has had the radio, amp, usb ports and antenna replaces. Still doesn't work right. They drained my air conditioning system and its seems to be working better. This is my first Subaru and I am really unhappy. Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

Thanks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi There,
I bought a brand new 2017 Impreza custom ordered and received it in May. I have had multiple problems, radio shuts off randomly, will play on blast on one speaker, when shifting to reverse there is a loud buzzing played throughout all the speakers, my air conditioning doesn't work. Now this car has less than 2000 miles on it, has had the radio, amp, usb ports and antenna replaces. Still doesn't work right. They drained my air conditioning system and its seems to be working better. This is my first Subaru and I am really unhappy. Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Some owners have experienced issues, whereas others haven't. You might find some solutions to some issues your experiencing here on the forum. There is a thread related to the A/C, along with the infotainment system & speaker issues. Another thing to bear in mind is the lemon law. I know the laws vary from state to state but something worth looking into if you want to go that road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1stSubie! I have been looking into lemon laws, the manager of the shop told me I should demand that they buy the car back from me because of all the electrical issues. Its just really disappointing. This is the first new car I have ever bought! I did all my research and Subaru was the best out there that still offers manual transmissions. Its been a nightmare!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks 1stSubie! I have been looking into lemon laws, the manager of the shop told me I should demand that they buy the car back from me because of all the electrical issues. Its just really disappointing. This is the first new car I have ever bought! I did all my research and Subaru was the best out there that still offers manual transmissions. Its been a nightmare!
Have you contacted SOA regarding these issues or for them to buy back the vehicle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. And have gotten no where, they keep blowing me off saying they will call me in the next few days, which they haven't. I call every day and email.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I wouldn't write Subaru off just yet, over the years I have heard many stories like yours regarding many brands of cars.

What your dealer does to fix the car will be a telling thing, some of your problems are software related. These days cars are rolling computers, one or two updates might make some of your problems vanish.

Keep your chin up, be patient, and if that doesn't work do the legal thing and have the dealer buy back the car.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
When you've spoken with SOA have you mentioned you're a first time Subaru owner? When I contacted them and mentioned this they did a lot to keep me happy. They aren't the best at following up, but I kept on them until the problem was fixed.

Just so you know they had to replace my whole radio due to an issue. Since this complete fix it's been fine. As ObewanKenobi mentioned don't write off Subaru just yet. They will make this right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not software, all is up to date. That was the first thing that was checked. I have been patient. This has been ongoing since I picked up the car in May. I was really looking forward to driving a Subaru for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coletrain,

They have replaced everything! And it is still not working. Yes I told them I was a first time owner and how disappointed I am with the way everything has played out. If I didn't call them and email, I would have no contact at all with them.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Its not software, all is up to date. That was the first thing that was checked. I have been patient. This has been ongoing since I picked up the car in May. I was really looking forward to driving a Subaru for the next 10 years.
I read a post from someone that is going through some of the problems you are and the dealer took his car to fix it and gave him one to drive while they had it.

There was also something going around about a brake switch that was causing some kind of problem with the stereo (I don't pretend to understand how it was doing that). I think it might have been on NASIOC.

Pretty sure it is in this thread. https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2823327

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Do you know the date of manufacture on your car? I also bought mine in May. Curious to know if they were built around the same time.

Also, if you don't mind sharing what state are you in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coletrain,

I had the car built because I couldn't find a manual transmission anywhere and I wanted the sport model. Where would I find the manufactured date? I live in NY, I bought the car in NJ.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Read up on the Lemon Laws in your state and follow the rules.

I had to lemon my first 2017 Impreza Sport 2.0. Florida law required three attempts to fix the vehicle without success, then notifying Subaru corporate you were intending to lemon the car, then leaving it for 10 consecutive days for Subaru to have one final crack at fixing it. My car sat at a dealer of 10 days and Subaru couldn't even get it serviced, as they could not get a replacement radio for it shipped in that timeline. Accordingly, they had to replace the car under Florida law.

I am no awaiting my replacement, which is to be in the first 10 days of August.

I had many of the same problems you had, but my AC is fine.

Follow your state law and move towards replacing this car. It's an awesome car, when working correctly, but that's rare in my case. I've had 6 months of **** with this car and it's heavily damaged my opinion of Subaru and Subaru has been crushed in the quality ratings due to their failure to do enough R&D before release.

47 years old, 18th new car, first lemon ever. Nothing has come close to this.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Coletrain,

I had the car built because I couldn't find a manual transmission anywhere and I wanted the sport model. Where would I find the manufactured date? I live in NY, I bought the car in NJ.
Hm, thats a good question since you ordered it. When did you place the order? It at least narrows down a time frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree about looking into the lemon laws in your state. Sounds like you've given ample opportunities to have these things fixed.

We got our Sport hatch in late May and have had almost NONE of the issues described in this thread and elsewhere in the forum. The Apple CarPlay didn't connect a couple times, but I did the update of the stereo firmware myself and that has seemed to fix any issues there. My wife and I have loved the car - this is our first Subaru also, and we are so happy we would absolutely consider getting another when time comes for another new car.

Sorry you've had all these issues. Time for SOA to step up and make it right for you, because the Impreza really is a fantastic little car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When you order a Subaru, Subaru of America sends you a confirmation of your order via email when the factory received the order, when the production starts and when the car is about to ship, each with a projected date of arrival.

Having ordered three of these cars so far, I've seen it each time through two different dealers.

Generally it takes 6-7 weeks from order to delivery.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My lemon law'd 2017 Sport 2.0, for the first time every (was delivered 2/2017) had it's sat radio totally forget it's subscription yesterday, as well as delete all presets. Took a call to Sirius to get it turned back on.

SOOOOOOO many problems with this horrible Harmon-Kardon system. Harmon-Kardon built a horrible unreliable head unit that has really damaged Subaru's name.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
My lemon law'd 2017 Sport 2.0, for the first time every (was delivered 2/2017) had it's sat radio totally forget it's subscription yesterday, as well as delete all presets. Took a call to Sirius to get it turned back on.

SOOOOOOO many problems with this horrible Harmon-Kardon system. Harmon-Kardon built a horrible unreliable head unit that has really damaged Subaru's name.
If I remember correctly your second Impreza was lemon law'd because the dealer drilled holes for a front plate correct? Not sure if you ever drove it or not, but did that have issues too?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts