5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2017 Impreza five-speed manual and the gear shifter feels loose. There is play when the car is in neutral and when in gear. The car does go into gear reliably but the feeling is not that great. Did anyone face a similar issue, and if so, how do you repair this? I could not find any guides or DIYs about which parts/bushings to get and how to replace said parts.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
CM Grey 2017 Sport Hatch CVT
77 Posts
Just got a 2017 Impreza five-speed manual and the gear shifter feels loose. There is play when the car is in neutral and when in gear. The car does go into gear reliably but the feeling is not that great. Did anyone face a similar issue, and if so, how do you repair this? I could not find any guides or DIYs about which parts/bushings to get and how to replace said parts.

Any help is appreciated!
I think there’s some parts related to transmission but I have a cvt. I would check that out. i’m sure someone makes a short shifter kit too

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
73 Posts
How loose are we talking? Given the shifter isn't directly connected to the transmission there are a few things that can wear out.

Because the shifter isn't directly connected to the transmission there are a bunch of things that can cause slop. This trans isn't particularly direct feeling at its best. It's mushy overall compared to more direct shifters like the BRZ.

Link here with a diagram of the shifter and components.

Looks like Subaru makes an STi shifter kit for this car. Listedb that it fits anyways.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,340 Posts
I have a sport and it comes with the STi short shifter already, I still went with the Kartboy SS. Not too difficult to install. There are also bushings underneath you can replace too. I have them I'm just waiting for warmer weather.

Kartboy Short Shifter and Knob on 2019 Impreza Sport

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for the insightful replies.

MyGoToUserName, it's not crazy loose. I can still feel it going into gear reliably. I am just looking to enhance the feel of the gear shifts. It seems like the previous owner would either shift really hard or rest their hand on the shift knob. It looks like I need to replace a whole list of parts to get any noticeable improvements.

Thank you peaty for the suggestion. I am not looking to replace the original shifter, just any components (primarily bushings) that are worn down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts