5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my new 2017 impreza that I got 2 months ago seems to be making a weird noise. It makes the noise when I press in/ or disengage the clutch from 3rd to 4th gear. (upshifting) Its kind of a faint grinding noise. I thought it was just clutch engagement but you can kind of feel it in the pedal too.

It's weird, it doesn't do it in neutral, off, or stopped. You can barely feel the clutch as it is in normal driving so its hard for me to blame the clutch or the slave cylinder. Very strange. I posted on other forums but can't find anything about it. It just started randomly doing it around 3000 miles. Its so mild that I would almost consider not bringing it to the dealership.

Anyone else have this wierd noise/feeling? Again it usually only does it accelerating and disengaging 3rd gear.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bring it to the dealership anyways. I can't really think of anything that it could be right now but I would give them the heads up. If it gets worse and you wait too long, they'll essentially try to blame you because a clutch wears based on the driver

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do get a small amount of noise when upshifting from 2 to 3, and even a little bit from 3 to 4. Its right when I disengage the clutch as you are describing, but to me it sounds like motor noise and possibly loud valve train. I cannot feel it in the clutch pedal though, more of a feeling through the seat and the sound from the motor. I wouldn't describe it as a grinding sound however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar issue but it's more like I can feel grinding through the pedal. Is that normal? I wouldn't consider it vibration because it's also very mild. Most of the time when I push in the clutch its almost as if I can feel the clutch rubbing against the flywheel. I've never experienced this in other cars but maybe I'm just being too sensitive because it's a new car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A poster on another car forum told me to look out for Subaru Impreza stick shift models. He said that the tranny/fuel system makes a "gunning the gas" sensation while shifting gears. Almost like it adds excess fuel or power to the upshifting. I have never read anything like that about Impreza's before and I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A poster on another car forum told me to look out for Subaru Impreza stick shift models. He said that the tranny/fuel system makes a "gunning the gas" sensation while shifting gears. Almost like it adds excess fuel or power to the upshifting. I have never read anything like that about Impreza's before and I'm wondering what you guys think about it.
I really have no problems with the MT besides the rev hang. I have no weird noises or feelings or sensations. I find it to be a very nice smooth expirence now that I turned the hill assist off. I don?t drive it like I stole it all that often but trying to race it I can see where someone might be hung up on it. I don?t think it was intended to be shifted ultra fast. Maybe I just got lucky with my car.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think the rev hang is the gunning the gas being mentioned. When pushing in the clutch, the RPMs can go up slightly because there is no longer a load on the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts