5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Soon to launch in Japan, the 2017 Subaru Impreza is going to feature the brand’s first ever pedestrian protection air bag.

This will be the first time its making an appearance in the brand and the improved safety features will come standard in the Impreza sedan and 5-door models. In the event of a collision between the vehicle and a pedestrian, the pedestrian protection airbag will deploy to shield them from the full impact of the hit thus reducing injuries. We don’t have a visual representation of the Subaru pedestrian airbag yet but it could look similar to that of the Discovery Sport or Volvo V40 where an airbag is deployed from the same area as the windshield wipers. By covering the windshield with an airbag, damage to the pedestrian’s head should be reduced.

Discovery Sport Pedestrian Airbag

Launched alongside the pedestrian airbag is an improved version of Subaru’s EyeSight safety system. The current version of Subaru’s driver-assist system includes adaptive cruise control, pre-collision braking, pre-collision throttle management, and lane departure and sway warning. Thanks to the EyeSight Advanced Driver Assist System, the current outgoing Impreza earned a Top Safety Pick + rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Subaru says the 2017 Impreza’s collision safety performance has been increased by 1.4 time compared to the current model thus improving safety for both driver and passengers. We can expect to see the 2017 Impreza bag another Top Safety Pick + award too.

Here’s a Japanese ad to show us what we have to look forward to.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Googles sticky car idea seems waaay out there compared to a pedestrian airbag. I guess it's useful if the car hits an adult with the front of the car but it doesn't help reduce the damage of those who are below a certain height and their head may not reach that airbag. Still good on Subaru to improve their safety standards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not too sure about this... are there any videos doing demonstrations ? I mean.. by the time the individual gets hit, there's not much that airbag is really going to accomplish unless they roll over the car and the air bag things them back off... ?!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Found a video with the airbag on display. You just need to fast forward to around 12:48. I assume the airbag will be more angled with a windshield.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure how accurate the youtube closed caption translation feature is but it seems like the area under the airbag may lift a bit upon impact.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Googles sticky car thing was extremely ridiculous lol. But this may actually work, I'm not counting it out just yet. We've still yet to see it tested out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not the airbag but I assume this camera is used for the EyeSight advanced driver assist system. Is it flush against the windshield? Looks oddly positioned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like it's meant to protect the persons head upon impact. Doesn't look like it launches them like a piece of projectile either which may be helping me being a skeptic

·
Registered
163 Posts
But that all depends on if they hit you at the right angle and speed. Majority of the time when someone gets hit now, it's kind of game over.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is some force from it but compared to what you would be hitting with out it and what you would be exposed to, in that sense it is like a pillow.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It just better not turn out to be like that Takata air bag that Hondas and some other models has which had sharp objects projected out of it, so bad that fatality from it looked a homicide. Nail bomb might be the best example.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Now I cannot imagine anything scarier than that. The one thing meant to save you and it turns out to be a **** frag grenade in your face. Real nice. I'm just saying I really can't see how it could really be a bad thing, unless of course its like a frag, but any further added safety is still "further added safety"

·
Registered
119 Posts
With the huge airbag scandal and recall, I highly doubt manufacturers will use frag airbags again. Subaru was affected by the airbag recall too but I don't know if they are going with another airbag producer for their newer models.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Takata was the company and they are big, and have been around for a very long time, so I don't think they're going anywhere and I don't think they'll have contracts dropped right across the board, so we should expect to see their bags being used, but of course ones that are completely safe that do no harm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your neck will probably still get whiplash but it won't be cracking directly onto the windshield as it would with a car that doesn't have the airbag.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I guess.. Still real skeptical on it until I see a real life situation. I guess it can't really hurt to have it either, but I still just think it's unnecessary. Nonetheless if it'll be standard, it's not something I'll complain about

1 - 20 of 22 Posts