5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Subaru dealer yesterday to have some loose interior parts checked out and an oil change ( I've had it for 6 months but only 1,500 miles on it ). They did not fix any of the loose interior bits, but they did change the oil and accidentally hit my driver's side door into their lift :crying:

Now I am in a loaner and they are sending my car to the body shop because the paint-less dent repair person could not fix it. They are saying I will not get my car back until next week :frown2:
All I know is it better be in perfect condition when I get it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before I picked mine up. They hit my rear passenger door into something. Long story short, got it fixed. Also got them to warranty that door for as long as I own the car, on pre-mature defects. So if all the other doors are rusted, oh well. But if that door is going to show any defects in paint or rust, it's up to them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with the service manager again today and pretty much told him every issue I have had with his dealerships service department over the last 7 years.
My 2017 Impreza is not the first Subaru I have purchased from this dealership. It seems that he had no ides how many times his department has charged me for work that should have been under warranty, or not finished the work in a timely manner.
I once sat in there service department for almost 6 hours waiting from them to replace 1 front wheel bearing on my 2008 Legacy GT.
I had scheduled my appointment 1 week earlier so they knew I was coming and had the part in stock.
They also insisted that the tech was working on my car for the whole time.
A factory Tech that has all the Subaru specific tools and training should not take 6 hours to change 1 front bolt-on wheel bearing.
I still feel that they over booked that day and where working on other peoples cars while I sat in the waiting room all day, and just telling me they where working on my car each time I asked them why it was taking so long.
Or they had a completely incompetent tech working on my car.
The general manager did not seem to know that when I had my airbag recall done, the tech
1 - broke my center HVAC vent and did not tell me.
2 - knocked the power seat button off my passenger side seat and did not replace it or tell me that he did it.
3 - completely forgot to plug my Hazard Light button back in. I found that out when I needed to use my hazard lights in a snow storm and they did not work. I actually lookup up online how to remove the radio and dash trim so I could plug it back in myself.
To top that hole ordeal off they ordered the wrong vent to replace the one they broke not once not twice but 3 times in a row. I wasted 3 hour and a half long round trips over almost 2 months AND 3 missed days of work to get the Vent that they broke fixed. The list goes on and on.
And then this happens.
So I think Service departments general manage an I are finally one the same page. We both understand that my car better be PERFECT when I get it back. All issues fixed AND no additional damage in the process.
He said he sent it to the best body shop in his area and the paint and body work are guaranteed for the life of the car.

We shall see......

** this is copied from my other post **
http://www.impreza5.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=109714

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So got my car back on Monday night.
It looked good, until the next morning when I saw all of the orange peel in the paint on the door they repaired. So i call the service manager back @ the dealership to tell him that I am not happy with the work that was done.
He had a bit of an attitude and said that he will get me another loaner and to drop it back off to him.
So I did today, all the pleasantry and niceness where gone from the service manager, it almost seemed like he wished I was not there.
He would barley even look at me. I tried to show him the orange peel and how the piece around the door lock was not properly re attached to the door and he did not seem to care.
He just kept saying that he was going to have the owner of the body shop that did the work look at it and he would call me.
I let him know that I had already brought it to a body shop and got a price quote of $640 to fix the orange peel in the paint. All he said was that he was already $1000 into fixing my car.
It is not my fault that they damaged my brand new car, it is also not my fault that they did a poor job fixing it.
The car is a whooping 6 month old with only 1,600 miles on it. So sorry if I want it to look perfect and as good as when I got it.
Here are some pictures of the " repaired " front door with the orange peel, and a pic of the back door with the smooth factory paint on it.
Notice the difference in the reflections. the front door looks grainy and it actually feels textured. The back door is smooth and the reflections are clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'll bet it's even more noticeable in person. It's amazing what people try to pass off as a job well done. I don't see any reason to settle for that shoddy work. Hopefully 2ND time is the charm.

·
Registered
778 Posts
wow! at first I was gonna say that if you put your car under some really good lighting you will see it is full of orange peel as well. all new cars are, plain and simple.

but after looking at your pics, yeah that is really really bad. it looks like Maaco painted that mess. I definitely would not settle for that. even if I had to get an attorney involved. I would bypass service manager and go straight to the store manager or even the owner and explain your situation from start to finish. also let them know that at first there was politeness then after the shoddy work they politeness was gone on the return visit. that is just completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have worked for a auto parts and paint store for 16 years. We are kind of like Napa, but a more local chain that has about 10 stores in 2 states. I had my boss who has been mixing and working with automotive paint for over 30 years take a look at it and even he said it was very obviously sub-par work.
I told the service manager that I had my boss with 30+ years of automotive paint experience look at it and he said that the orange peel is pretty bad. All the shop manager at the dealership said to me is " I don't care what your boss with 30+ years of experience thinks " and that he was going to have the owner of the body shop he sent it to take a look at it.
To be honest I was very offended by his remark. My customer's and I carry a very high opinion of my bosses automotive paint skill and his very trained eye. Have you ever tried to adjust a paint formula by eye to match a car that is 15+ years old and faded? He can do that and have the color match perfectly.
Now I sit here stressed out and hoping and praying that they can put my car back to factory condition AND not break anything else in the process.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd get Subaru involved if this continues going bad. No factory painted car is going to look like glass; you'd have to wet sand by hand to get that look. That job, however, is absolutely terrible even for a body shop.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to every one on here, I feel better knowing that other people agree that this is unacceptable. I do have a case open with Subaru customer service. The service manager at the dealership texted me yesterday to let me know that it will be in the body shop through the weekend. He also said that he went over my concerns with the owner of the body shop and that he wants me to be happy with the work. I hope it is put back to factory condition by the time I get it back. I guess if it is not done correctly this time I should contact the owner of the dealership ? I would think that the owner of the dealership is aware of the situation by now but you never know for sure.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would be willing to bet the owner of the dealership has no idea you even exist honestly. they typically don't pass that info along unless you request to speak to them. if it isn't up to par this go around I would definitely tell your store manager you want to personally speak to the owner, not another manager. usually when you get an owner involved they tend to light a fire under their arse.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got my car back last wed. The paint is better than it was but it is still not right. I called the owner of the dealership who apparently is in Florida at one of his other dealerships. the owner of the dealership has gone over my case that I have going with Subaru Customer care. He would like to meet with me in person when he come's to Connecticut in 2 weeks, so I am going to his dealership to meet with him and I assume the service manager in person. I can show him my car in person and go over everything in the hopes to get a resolution to this. He seems like a nice person based on the few minutes we spoke on the phone. There was new damage to my car when I got it back this time. They scratched the trim around around my window, also my molding is already falling off of my door only 1 week after getting my car back.

Pics :

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
the side moulding raised up a lil is going to happen no matter what. it is stuck on with 2 sides tape and it is pretty thick. now, will it stick out a lot? no it shouldn't.

as for the paint and trim damage, holy crap is all I can say. sometimes that is what happens when you take it back to the same place after they did a half arse job to start with. I truly hope the owner is a good person and wants to make you happy. I can tell you if it were me and my car, they would pay me to leave their dealership. I would have been nice, ONCE. after that, probably not. good luck man!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Did you talk to a man named Phil? Subaru of JAX is owned by Phil and he lives up in CT and own a dealership up there so guessing it may be the same guy. If so, he is a very nice guy and I agree with comments above...still looks like $hit and inexcusable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes his name is Phil and he does own the dealer up here in CT that I purchased my car from. I am not going to put the name of the dealer out in the open yet, I still have hopes of resolving this and it is not my style to bad mouth them on the Internet until I have exhausted all options for a good resolution. I really hope he is as nice as he seemed on the phone when we get a chance to meet in person. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole situation. It could have been a positive. I could be saying that they made a mistake and made good on it and put my car back to new condition. I could be telling people to shop there with confidence that if something did go wrong they would make good on it. Sadly that is not the case so far. I only hope that the owner can make it right for me and we can all go on with our lives happily and let this be water under the bridge.

Sometimes I fell like I am to nice for my own good :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update. I had a meeting today with the owner of the dealership, the general manager of the dealership, the shop foreman, and the shop general manager. The owner is a very nice guy and seemed very concerned with the problems I have been having with the service department. He asked me what I wanted out of this and I told him that I want my car fixed, plain and simple.
So he said I can take it to a body shop of my choosing to be repaired. he will pay for it and he told me money is not an issue.
I also mentioned to him how my radio keeps randomly freezing up on me even after getting the latest firmware update. So he I going to order me a new radio, he also said he will try to get me upgraded to the Harmon Kardon radio or the Rockford Fosgate package ( My car only has the standard 8" - 6 speaker radio that comes in the sport model ) for my trouble. They have to check my vin # to see what audio upgrades are available.
He is also giving me a $500 service voucher to use for services on my car. It seems he really does feel bad that I have had so many negative experiences with his dealership's service department, and he is trying to make it right.
So tomorrow I will go to the body shop near me to set up a time when I can have my car repaired. Hopefully all ends well, and a audio upgrade will be nice if it is possible. I should ask that Derrick0580 guy if he knows what audio options can be added to a Sport model Impreza that has the standard 8" radio.
I wonder what the owner would have said if I told him I wanted a new car :p. I mean my car only has 1,800 miles on it lol.
I did not even ask because 1 - that seems like a silly request and 2 - I am not trying to get anything out of this that i am not entitled to.

I will keep anyone that is following this thread updated on the progress and outcome.

Thank you to everyone that has posted here. It has given me the drive to fight for getting my car fixed properly and helped me to realize that I am not cray or overreacting.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiZ09nn5tbaAhWpV98KHSFEC1gQFjAHegQIABBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.crutchfield.com%2FISEO-rgbtcspd%2Fbrands%2FRockford-Fosgate%2F&usg=AOvVaw3f8eg5VnWOgDmCab7wbzzS

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I got my car back from the body shop near me ( the one I chose ) on Friday. Body work looks good and the doors line up correctly again :)
They replaced the body side molding that was falling off with a brand new one ( the other one was held on with cheap double sided tape that the last body shop put on )
They also replaced the black trim piece on the top of the door that touches the window because most of the clips that hold it on where broken from the last body shop and it was about ready to fall off. They also replaced all of the clips that hold the inside door panel on. Apparently a couple of them where broken from the last body shop.
Sad to say that my car is not able to be upgraded to the " premium " 8 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo. It is not compatible. I have them looking into whether or not I can get the Rockford Fosgate upgrade installed instead. I might ask them to install my 12" Polk Audio Sub and 400 watt amp ( free of charge ) and see what they say. It would save me from having to run the wires and hook up a line converter, we shall see. I am now waiting for the Dealership to get all the parts in before I go back to have them finish fixing my car and replacing my stereo ( it keeps freezing up ever after the latest firmware update ).

Pics :

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts