5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. As the title states I have a 2017 Impreza touring with the 5spd manual transmission. I hit 100,000 km on the car back in march or April 2019. So that being said, I had the 100,000 km service done on it (at the dealership) which includes transmission and differential fluid replacement.

Now after this was done I noticed things were... well not as smooth as they were before... Especially when the vehicle was cold. However not really thinking much of it I let her go into the summer months and because of the rise in temps I didn't notice it as much anymore and kind of forgot about it.

So now here we are into November and, lo and behold, my notchy clunky and sticky shifting has returned. My problem is downshifting from 5th to 4th, reverse (takes sometimes 5 tries to get to engage even after shifting into another gear to line shit up better), and shifting into 1st from stop or slow roll.

- So 5th gear to 4th It gets stuck. like it will not shift down into 4th unless I relieve pressure from the stick and re-shift into 4th from neutral.
-1st gear is very hard to engage from a stop or slow roll
-Reverse is very hard to engage and takes multiple tries to engage even with shifting into a different gear and re-shifting into R.

Ive contacted my dealership and the service manager told me that Subaru has discontinued the Subaru brand Extra S transmission fluid so the fluid used from the factory ( im guessing extra s) is different from the fluid that is used currently (which he tells me is a mobil 1 product).

I have the extended warranty to 140000km, which i'm pretty glad I bought. So the plan now is to change the oil to whatever the Subaru tech rep recommends and go from there. My concern with that is that i've now been running an oil that obviously is not the proper spec for the transmission for about 35000km. I'm worried that this has caused damage to the synchros and bearings in the xmission and differentials.

Im reaching out to see if others have experienced this problem and what was done to get it resolved or to hear opinions on how I should proceed or what steps i should take to ensure that this issue gets resolved.

Thanks for your time folks.

·
Banned
417 Posts
While I don't currently have a MT Suby I used to and kept up with transmission fluid types, and how they affected shifting. Other-than Subaru's Extra-S fluid all othrs performed less well... especially noted in colder weather. Subaru stopped providing Extra S and now uses Extra MT... which one can assume is similar and provides the Suby trans with the best shifting possible. For more information, the WRX and STI forums have many threads, and BITOG has good information as well. Subaru transmissions for whatever reason only work best with Subaru's OEM transmission fluid... not any other GF5 "equivalent."

The speced fluid for your tranny is Subaru Extra MT, with which it was filled from the factory. You indicate that it was refilled with something other than that, and your shifting suffers as a result.

The best I can determine the Subaru Extra MT is a 75-80 grade, not 75-90 like the Mobil 1 (likely is). My opinion is to get Subaru's Extra MT fluid back into your transmission... regardless of what your service provider says. Otherwise, I\it's just not ever going to be as good as it was with the OEM fill, with the difference showing up in poor shifting characteristics which are particularly noticeable in cold weather. I'd also be concerned about synchros but hold off worry until the OEM fluid is back in. If history is on your side you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. As the title states I have a 2017 Impreza touring with the 5spd manual transmission. I hit 100,000 km on the car back in march or April 2019. So that being said, I had the 100,000 km service done on it (at the dealership) which includes transmission and differential fluid replacement.

Now after this was done I noticed things were... well not as smooth as they were before... Especially when the vehicle was cold. However not really thinking much of it I let her go into the summer months and because of the rise in temps I didn't notice it as much anymore and kind of forgot about it.

So now here we are into November and, lo and behold, my notchy clunky and sticky shifting has returned. My problem is downshifting from 5th to 4th, reverse (takes sometimes 5 tries to get to engage even after shifting into another gear to line shit up better), and shifting into 1st from stop or slow roll.

- So 5th gear to 4th It gets stuck. like it will not shift down into 4th unless I relieve pressure from the stick and re-shift into 4th from neutral.
-1st gear is very hard to engage from a stop or slow roll
-Reverse is very hard to engage and takes multiple tries to engage even with shifting into a different gear and re-shifting into R.

Ive contacted my dealership and the service manager told me that Subaru has discontinued the Subaru brand Extra S transmission fluid so the fluid used from the factory ( im guessing extra s) is different from the fluid that is used currently (which he tells me is a mobil 1 product).

I have the extended warranty to 140000km, which i'm pretty glad I bought. So the plan now is to change the oil to whatever the Subaru tech rep recommends and go from there. My concern with that is that i've now been running an oil that obviously is not the proper spec for the transmission for about 35000km. I'm worried that this has caused damage to the synchros and bearings in the xmission and differentials.

Im reaching out to see if others have experienced this problem and what was done to get it resolved or to hear opinions on how I should proceed or what steps i should take to ensure that this issue gets resolved.

Thanks for your time folks.
So this isn't my first visit on this forum but I just happened to come across the issues tab and noticed your post about the shifting issue and I figured why not make an account and start interacting with the people on this forum. Going back to the shifting issue, I am having the same problem when down shifting into 4th from 5th it just doesn't seem to want to go in gear and also when trying to go into reverse at times I have the same problem, so to prevent myself from running into those issues I just resort to lining things up right but the issue is still not resolved which I will talk to my service dealer about what the problems I'm having are when taking it in for my coming up oil change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little update. I spoke to the service manager at my local shop today and apparently he spoke to one of the tech reps at Subaru Canada and was told that they are going to try a different oil. He didn't tell me what kind of oil or anything when I asked... Said he would find out Wednesday when they get their shipments...anyway... They're going to try and change the oil to see if that gets rid of the problems that i'm having.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Iv noticed in 4 different cars one might have to fight to go into reverse but it may go in easier if you keep lite pressure on the stick and lift the clutch slightly... Not sure why it works for me but it does. Don't force your shifts tho, it might be only a misalignment for now but a bend shift fork (internal) would be a pain

·
Registered
59 Posts
when down shifting into 4th from 5th it just doesn't seem to want to go in gear
I've also experienced this, typically it happens when trying to decelerate quicker than usual (firm on the brakes), and initiating the rev match over 2200 or so RPM in 5th... it seems like it wants to shift at a lower speed, the car's probably just telling me to slow down...

Just this morning this happened as I was slowing/exiting the freeway, and I actually managed to throw it into 2nd without fuss - thankfully didn't clutch out all the way but she sure rev'd out higher than I'd have liked...

Which lead me to believe maybe we're just over shooting 4th laterally in instances when it just doesn't go- It does feel as if the side to side distance between 3rd and 5th is about half that of 1st and 3rd... The travel into 5th i've noticed isnt parallel the 1-4 H pattern, you almost have to push it a little more towards the passenger seat... Just some thoughts.

edit: trans fluid from the factory, base 17'

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Iv noticed in 4 different cars one might have to fight to go into reverse but it may go in easier if you keep lite pressure on the stick and lift the clutch slightly... Not sure why it works for me but it does. Don't force your shifts tho, it might be only a misalignment for now but a bend shift fork (internal) would be a pain
That does work sometimes but I shouldn't have to do that. It should just slide in without having to mess with it a bunch.

I've also experienced this, typically it happens when trying to decelerate quicker than usual (firm on the brakes), and initiating the rev match over 2200 or so RPM in 5th... it seems like it wants to shift at a lower speed, the car's probably just telling me to slow down...

Just this morning this happened as I was slowing/exiting the freeway, and I actually managed to throw it into 2nd without fuss - thankfully didn't clutch out all the way but she sure rev'd out higher than I'd have liked...

Which lead me to believe maybe we're just over shooting 4th laterally in instances when it just doesn't go- It does feel as if the side to side distance between 3rd and 5th is about half that of 1st and 3rd... The travel into 5th i've noticed isnt parallel the 1-4 H pattern, you almost have to push it a little more towards the passenger seat... Just some thoughts.

edit: trans fluid from the factory, base 17'
This is under normal driving conditions. Regular downshifting, not over-shooting 4th and hitting 2nd. Just straight down from 5th to 4th. Gets hung up on 4th. Has a hard time going into 1st and reverse as well but thats from a stop or slow roll forward.

Anyway, I'm heading over to the dealership today to check out what kind of oil these guys ordered in for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the oil that was sent was apparently another (different) Mobil 1 product. They flushed the xmission, took it for a test drive. NIL fix.

Transmission replacement advised.

I don't have much details here because I just got off my shift cycle and I haven't had a chance to go over to the dealership and talk to the tech or the service manager. I had asked for an oil analysis to be carried out (whether or not that was done, i don't know...) so yeah I want to go talk to them at some point this week.

Because now, if Subaru discontinued the extra S in the xmissions and this new mobil 1 isn't cutting it, the new xmission that will be installed is just going to start to fail again in approx 120k km. So i was hoping an analysis would shed some light on what failed and how the oil has held up. maybe i can switch to a better (more suitable) product.

Fucking tabernac! Eh boys?

I'll post updates as I get 'em.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I don't currently have a MT Suby I used to and kept up with transmission fluid types, and how they affected shifting. Other-than Subaru's Extra-S fluid all othrs performed less well... especially noted in colder weather. Subaru stopped providing Extra S and now uses Extra MT... which one can assume is similar and provides the Suby trans with the best shifting possible. For more information, the WRX and STI forums have many threads, and BITOG has good information as well. Subaru transmissions for whatever reason only work best with Subaru's OEM transmission fluid... not any other GF5 "equivalent."

The speced fluid for your tranny is Subaru Extra MT, with which it was filled from the factory. You indicate that it was refilled with something other than that, and your shifting suffers as a result.

The best I can determine the Subaru Extra MT is a 75-80 grade, not 75-90 like the Mobil 1 (likely is). My opinion is to get Subaru's Extra MT fluid back into your transmission... regardless of what your service provider says. Otherwise, I\it's just not ever going to be as good as it was with the OEM fill, with the difference showing up in poor shifting characteristics which are particularly noticeable in cold weather. I'd also be concerned about synchros but hold off worry until the OEM fluid is back in. If history is on your side you'll be fine.

Sorry bud i kinda forgot to reply to this... maybe in The States Subaru does something different but up here in the Great White North Subaru no longer sells a factory tranny fluid. They let the dealers throw in whatever is spec'd in the service manual.. This is what the trusty service manager tells me at my local... i have no idea... i just drive this meat shuttle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey everyone sorry for the late reply here.. so update. they flushed the oil with 2 different brands.

nil fix.

SPP approved transmission replacement. so got the new xmission in there with mobil 1 fluid.

nil fix.

replaced all linkage from shifter knob to transmission.

nil fix.

We're all stumped now. they realized that if you shift from 5th to 4th at a standstill ( on the car lift) its trying to engage reverse. Yeah, what the fuck right?

so i'm enjoying a rental while they figure their shit out.

im thinking i might try to grab a case of oil from the states as the dealers down south seem to still carry the Subaru brand transmission fluid. maybe give that a try....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys long time no see! Back with a couple things... problem is still here... they've replaced literally everything to do with linkage and bushing for the shifter again with nil fix. SECOND tranny replacement. nil fix. So now, Subaru tech reps are suggesting replacement of the clutch assy. Probably wont fix it but i'm not going to complain about getting a new clutch and pressure plate!

·
Registered
850 Posts
How smoothly the clutch engages and disengages can seem like rough shifting. A grabby clutch will make gear changes feel like they pop in/out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How smoothly the clutch engages and disengages can seem like rough shifting. A grabby clutch will make gear changes feel like they pop in/out.
Absolutely, but that would be issues shifting in every gear. Not the case here...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE

clutch was replaced with no fix. hahaha i've put 35000 km on loaner vehicles since this has come up. dealer still has my car. i think im going to talk to them about a buy-out but then the other half of me likes driving new cars every 10000 km..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good morning, any update on what the cause was?
Hey buddy sorry for the late reply! (and everyone else) Just noticed the notification now. umm there was no fix.

transmission replaced twice
clutch and pressure plate replaced
master cylinder replaced
clutch hydraulic system bled numerous times
transmission fluid replaced with different brands 3 times (note: none were subaru brand extra s. apparently it is no longer available in canada)
they even took new fluid straight out of a car from the lot and put it into my car and was still having the same issue.

I have a good relationship with the service manager and he told me that that was all Subaru was going to do.
he was stumped. the one day he called me into the show to show me what was going on. they had the car up on the hoist and when you tried to downshift from 5th to 4th, in the way that i was describing, it would try to engage reverse at the same time. thats why it wasnt allowing it to go into the gear. I sold the car not long after so i didnt look into a payout. i didnt sell because of the problem though.. i was actually pretty stoked i had an entire new driveline.

So thats it guys. NIL fix. anyone else having this problem yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey buddy sorry for the late reply! (and everyone else) Just noticed the notification now. umm there was no fix.

transmission replaced twice
clutch and pressure plate replaced
master cylinder replaced
clutch hydraulic system bled numerous times
transmission fluid replaced with different brands 3 times (note: none were subaru brand extra s. apparently it is no longer available in canada)
they even took new fluid straight out of a car from the lot and put it into my car and was still having the same issue.

I have a good relationship with the service manager and he told me that that was all Subaru was going to do.
he was stumped. the one day he called me into the show to show me what was going on. they had the car up on the hoist and when you tried to downshift from 5th to 4th, in the way that i was describing, it would try to engage reverse at the same time. thats why it wasnt allowing it to go into the gear. I sold the car not long after so i didnt look into a payout. i didnt sell because of the problem though.. i was actually pretty stoked i had an entire new driveline.

So thats it guys. NIL fix. anyone else having this problem yet?
Thank you for the reply,
I am dealing with that exact same issue. Syncros and fork replaced. Shift rod and other shifter components replaced. Nothing is fixing it. 2017 Impreza Sport.

·
Registered
434 Posts
No question in my mind... the fluid in the manual xMission is the root of the issue. It is too viscus when cold.

I would expect the dealership to use Subaru Extra S fluid. Ask them what they used.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts