5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my surprise there are ZERO LED bulbs in my 2017 Premium. I have decided to change them all out and used suberbrightled (cheapest with a coupon code over labor day) to get the bulbs. While researching I learned that to change the turn signals that I need a resister or a relay swap. The idea of tapping the metal near the lights and installing a resister that is just going to be another heat source does not really appeal to me, so when I ordered my trunk LED kit from Diode Dynamics I went ahead and ordered a relay (not the smart tap) as well. A quick google search came up with any multitude of YouTube videos of 15-16 WRX changes...but on the 2017 the relay is not there. I hit the 4-way lights to listen for the click to try and locate the relay that way and it sounds like it is coming from behind the gauge cluster.

Is there a chance that in the 2017s that the flasher is controlled by the BCM? I tried contacting my local dealer about this only to be told by the person at the desk that the tech that "Subaru does not recommend changing those lights to LEDs", i thanked her for that answer but asked her where the flasher relay was located so I knew in the future and I was told "I am only a desk clerk I have no idea".

·
Registered
78 Posts
I honestly have no idea either as changes other than simple plug and play are beyond me. My best suggestion is to take it to a garage and ask if they can help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made contact with a friendly Subaru parts department. There is no relay for the flasher in the 2017 Impreza, it is controlled by the BCM. So in order to do LED lights you will have to do a resister.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Made contact with a friendly Subaru parts department. There is no relay for the flasher in the 2017 Impreza, it is controlled by the BCM. So in order to do LED lights you will have to do a resister.
I contacted Subispeed to inquire about their TapTurn relay and they informed me that this would fix hyperblink issues in the 2017+ Imprezas. If we don't have that relay though, I wonder why they are marketing it to fit our vehicles. Lame.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted Subispeed to inquire about their TapTurn relay and they informed me that this would fix hyperblink issues in the 2017+ Imprezas. If we don't have that relay though, I wonder why they are marketing it to fit our vehicles. Lame.
That is an interesting question. I was in email contact a rep from Diode Dynamics and he said something to the effect about not knowing much about the 2017+ Imprezas because they had not one in their shop yet (I asked where they were located, lol, if close was going to offer mine as a "test subject" with the hopes of some deals). This was in reference to the TapTurn relay, Tail as Turn, ect. Grant you this has been about 6 months ago so they may have figured out something in that time. However, I can say that the parts shop at the dealership was not able to find a Subaru part number for a flasher relay. I turned on the hazard lights and went looking (ie listening) for the click and I could not find anything except what sounded like from behind the gauge cluster. When I explained that to the parts guy he said that would make sense why they cannot find a part number for the relay because from that location it would mean that the BCM is in charge of the flashers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts