5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it seems as though a lot of us 5th gen owners are upgrading our sound systems, I'll go ahead and start a Q&A for sound systems here...

So, I have the HK 8 speaker system, now 9 speaker since I've added a subwoofer in August of 2019. I just went to upgrade my rear speakers for a lack of mid bass in the rear, and to my surprise, the spider of the HK rear speakers were still stiff...

A little perplexed, I went ahead and installed a pair of Rockford Fosgate P1650s in the rear, which I just had laying around... Fired the system up... Highs, check... Mids? Still no stogie...

Damn it!

Anyone else run into this problem? Are there low pass adjustments on the factory HK system? What about bass blockers? I'd love to get more mid bass, and a bit of low end, to my rears for my extra passengers to enjoy the sound.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does the system sound a lot better with the added subwoofer? Also, were you able to keep the stock headunit with the added subwoofer or did you install a new receiver?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bet the HK DSP is high passing the rears at like 200 hz probably cause A) I doubt the factory speakers sound that great down that low, and B) most people sitting in the back of a mid size sedan/hatch don't care about fidelity. It'd be interesting to play some frequency sweeps and put an RTA to the speakers and compare response front to rear. This is why I added my own DSP and amp, so I can tune the speakers how I like. RF P1650s aren't bad at all. Hell, they're a step above my R1675X2s and I have no complaints with mine. Probably a DSP flaw.

EDIT:
At least for me my rear passengers usually complain about too much bass since the sub is right behind them. And in the front I have plenty of mid/midbass. Of course I EQ'd it that way, so...

·
Registered
16 Posts
#cdicorpo is pretty right on. It's that whole factory protection where they chop out the low end to save the factory low end speakers. Like many here, I dropped a line converter in, amped the system, replaced the factory speakers and added a sub. First time use of an AudioControls LC6i, and man, why did it take me so long to pull that trigger? That module is sweet, restores the mid/low-end roll off AND gave me the ability to add a sub. That is all while keeping the factory HU. 110% worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
#cdicorpo is pretty right on. It's that whole factory protection where they chop out the low end to save the factory low end speakers. Like many here, I dropped a line converter in, amped the system, replaced the factory speakers and added a sub. First time use of an AudioControls LC6i, and man, why did it take me so long to pull that trigger? That module is sweet, restores the mid/low-end roll off AND gave me the ability to add a sub. That is all while keeping the factory HU. 110% worth it.
Man, this sounds exactly like what I was thinking of doing. Would it be cool if you dropped a parts list and maybe a little how-to? I’m so tired of the speaker system in my 19 Impreza Limited I just want it good again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts