5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new 2017 Subaru impreza sport and while i still have quite a few months until the snowy weather hits i was wondering how the car was in the snow? One main selling point for buying my first subaru is the all wheel drive as i live in New England but i was curious seeing as how the sport has 18" wheels. Would anyone recommend getting smaller wheels with snow tires once the weather hits?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just saw this while scrolling through the internet. I bought my Impreza Sport this summer and while the tires performed pretty well then I have noticed that in about 1-2 inches of snow that we just received here in Chicago that the traction is not great. I was traveling at low speed in the side streets and noticed it losing traction as well as the traction warning light coming on in the dashboard. Definitely not impressed with the tires and will probably be looking for better All-Season tires.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Welcome to both of you! :)

I recently bought a 2017 Sport and am waiting to see how she does in the snow, I live in Syracuse NY so snow is something we are a bit familiar with. ;)

If the all season radials aren't working I will put some snows on her.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too am waiting to see if the 18 inch stock tires can handle snow.... if we get any! I certainly know how they work in the rain living in Vancouver!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 17x7.5 on the sport. Fits, with plenty of room to spare.
I'm thinking about going to 17" rims that are on the Limited trim for snow tires. Do you notice a difference in handling with the 17" rims? I currently have the 18" sport rims and love them, but I think I'm finding more snow tire options with 17" rims.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm thinking about going to 17" rims that are on the Limited trim for snow tires. Do you notice a difference in handling with the 17" rims? I currently have the 18" sport rims and love them, but I think I'm finding more snow tire options with 17" rims.
I went down to 17s for my winter set up. I think that the squishy winter rubber is affecting the handling more than the downsize.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
This past weekend the roads were pure ice with snow on top, it was so cold that the plows didn't put any salt or sand down.

Hill after hill there were people sliding and stuck but as usual (this is my 6th Subie) the new little Impreza with stock, all season snows just went happily driving by those people.

Would a set of snows be better than the all season radials? Of course. Do I believe I need them? No, not at all. And I live in one of the snowiest cities in the continental US.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This past weekend the roads were pure ice with snow on top, it was so cold that the plows didn't put any salt or sand down.

Hill after hill there were people sliding and stuck but as usual (this is my 6th Subie) the new little Impreza with stock, all season snows just went happily driving by those people.

Would a set of snows be better than the all season radials? Of course. Do I believe I need them? No, not at all. And I live in one of the snowiest cities in the continental US.

I agree wholeheartedly.... I have a 2017 base model sedan with the stock 16s. I'm also in NY, on Long Island and had about a foot of snow during the storm last week. Was able to get out of an unplowed parking lot, where the car sat all day, without shoveling at all. I did have to pull forward and back multiple times, due to the low bottom of the car, but the car never get stuck. Very impressed! I saw several cars in the same parking lot also trying to get out, who did not fare as well. Very happy with my 2nd Impreza.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with the Stock low profile Yoko's, I too got a taste with the Long Island snow storm. The tires are predictable for all seasons, the all wheel drive compensates for traction loss. I'm a big fan of asymmetrical tread tires and dedicated winter snows, but simply driving spirited for the stock equipment on the conditions is a good manner that will prevent troubles later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We just got about 5 inches of snow here in Michigan and this was my first time driving in the snow with the Subaru since I got it, sport hatch, and I have to say this was my best snow driving experience yet.

I will add that the wheel wells get slush build up very fast and can be a headache clearing that out! I am guessing that the space around the wheel is small for aerodynamics or something but it is a pain in the butt when it is all caked in there.

I will definitely go with 16in wheels and whatever the best grand touring tire I can find is.

I don't understand this fascination with large rims, they are literally worse in every way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just found this post looking to get some winter rims and tires for the snow up here in Maine. Would like to to get a set of steel wheels maybe wounder if 16s would fit the Sport model. Anyone have incite on this?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts