5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experiencing issues with playing music (from your own library on the phone, not streaming via the internet)) with Apple CarPlay? The music intermittently "skips" or pauses for about 1/4 of a second. It does this once about every 2-5 minutes. We tried multiple phones...same issue, multiple lightning cables...same, I even drove another car at the dealer...same issue. Subaru says they are aware of the issue but anyone else experience this when playing music?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes on my 2017 Sport even over BT. Noticed it but it doesn't really bother me that much. It reminds me of codec sync issues from back in the infancy-of-mp3 days. mp3 encoded under one codec may not play back smoothly when decoded using a different codec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't had that problem with Carplay and music on my phone. I love Carplay for navigation because the navigation that came with my car (2017 Limited) , and has the latest updates, is really bad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had been using apple maps for last 3-4 years. Before that I had used the TomTom app. After getting the in-car navigation in the Limited trim, I have been using that exclusively. I am fairly satisfied with it. The directions are clear and there is no lag in tracking my location. I like the voice navigation feature. The POI list is not comprehensive but most places can be found.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same

Anyone experiencing issues with playing music (from your own library on the phone, not streaming via the internet)) with Apple CarPlay? The music intermittently "skips" or pauses for about 1/4 of a second. It does this once about every 2-5 minutes. We tried multiple phones...same issue, multiple lightning cables...same, I even drove another car at the dealer...same issue. Subaru says they are aware of the issue but anyone else experience this when playing music?

Yes! I just bought a 2018 Legacy and you're the only person I've seen post something about this exact same issue I'm having. It skips during music playback and makes little glitchy "zap" noises sometimes when navigating through the user interface and also while shifting gears?! So bogus. I've been working with my dealership and they told me today that there's nothing they can do at this point after replacing the head unit. Guess I'll be contacting Suby of America next. :( Please let me know if you ever get this resolved!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! I just bought a 2018 Legacy and you're the only person I've seen post something about this exact same issue I'm having. It skips during music playback and makes little glitchy "zap" noises sometimes when navigating through the user interface and also while shifting gears?! So bogus. I've been working with my dealership and they told me today that there's nothing they can do at this point after replacing the head unit. Guess I'll be contacting Suby of America next. :( Please let me know if you ever get this resolved!
The issue has been reported to Subaru customer service. The Subaru field service rep met me at my dealership and rode with me to observe the problem. We duplicated it in another vehicle so it is not the headunit...it is an issue with the firmware in the Harmon Kardon unit and the problem has been reported to HK and we are awaiting an update.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I?m pretty sure that harman only makes the higher end radio with the bigger touch screen. We had this discussion at work yesterday and rumors at the plant that next year subaru is dumping their current radio suppliers for someone new...no news on who that may be though. IMO how badass would it be to see a factory pioneer unit?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Harman Kardon

I?m pretty sure that harman only makes the higher end radio with the bigger touch screen. ...
??? My base model 2017 Impreza has the Harman Kardon radio with the 6.5" screen.

Is this problem limited to Apple's Car Play? I have no issues with my car using Android Auto.

Let's not lay blame in the wrong place.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Money is the root of all evil

... Android OS > iOS
Ranking of replacement parts to fix head unit issues (in increasing order by price):
  1. New Android phone
  2. New head unit
  3. New Apple iPhone
  4. New car
The decision process should be clear ... >:)

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
Don't seem to have this problem (or any problem, for that matter) with Apple Carplay on our 2018 Impreza Premium.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this group and this is my first post. I actually have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited (Canadian model) but it has the same 8" Harmon head unit as the 2017 Impreza. I too have had the EXACT same issues with occasional CarPlay audio glitches during playback that were so annoying that I swiftly disabled CarPlay and went back to basic Bluetooth connectivity. Today, just for larfs, I decided to try CarPlay again and the glitches were back, so I'll be reverting to Bluetooth again tomorrow. Seems counterintuitive that a wireless connection would be more stable than a hard-wired USB link, but it definitely seems to be the case.

My car is solidly paired with my home wi-fi so every morning I'm given the same reassurance that no new updates are available for the head unit. Perhaps one of these days Harmon/Subaru will figure out what this audio glitch problem is, but it's just as likely (if not more so) that the real problem is with Apple. I am still running iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6 since I've heard all sorts of horror stories about CarPlay and iOS 11.x. Hopefully ALL the vendors will get their acts together to ensure their products interact better than this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
iOS 11 and CarPlay behaves the same as 10.3.3. No downside at all. Regardless, Subaru recognizes the fault and it is up to Subaru and Harmon Kardon to correct it. Assigning fault is not the issue here...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't had an issue once connected, but one time I tried to use CarPlay it wouldn't connect at all. (I have had my car less than a week) The next time I got in it worked just fine. I hope that issue doesn't repeat itself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't had an issue once connected, but one time I tried to use CarPlay it wouldn't connect at all. (I have had my car less than a week) The next time I got in it worked just fine. I hope that issue doesn't repeat itself.
yeah, same here. every now and again, when connected via USB, it won't load Apple CarPlay (although my iPhone is still charging, so i know it's connected). But if i turn the car off and back on again, it will finally reconnect. Weird. Hopefully it's just a software issue that can be patched.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine does not have this problem fortunately, and I have used multiple phones on the car play system. My old iPhone 5 worked flawlessly with CarPlay, and my current 7+ works just as good. I also have had several friends use the car play with their phones (mix of iPhones and androids) and it works flawlessly. Sorry if I can’t give you any advice, but from everything I have seen a low battery in this car causes several problems. I put my car on a trickle charger once a month to keep the battery full, and I have not had any of the op’s problems or any listed on the forum. Maybie the car cuts voltage in order to charge the battery? Idk but I hope this helps

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is a know problem, happens with my car and iPhone SE. I let the dealer know after the last software update to the phone, he knew about it already. Hopefully this will be corrected in the next update. Let’s not let this thread turn into an android vs iOS thread. People like what they like, had a galaxy, didn’t care for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CarPlay Audio Blip Issue

Has anyone learned of any fixes or solutions to this issue yet? I am also experiencing this periodic audio blip when using CarPlay in my 2018 Limited Crosstrek with the Harman Kardon speakers. Any new information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Jonathan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Subaru says there will be a software update in the late-May/June timeframe and they hope the audio issues will be addressed

1 - 20 of 79 Posts