5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

2018 Apple CarPlay issues

35K views 84 replies 33 participants last post by  varase 
#1 ·
Anyone experiencing issues with playing music (from your own library on the phone, not streaming via the internet)) with Apple CarPlay? The music intermittently "skips" or pauses for about 1/4 of a second. It does this once about every 2-5 minutes. We tried multiple phones...same issue, multiple lightning cables...same, I even drove another car at the dealer...same issue. Subaru says they are aware of the issue but anyone else experience this when playing music?

#2 ·
Yes on my 2017 Sport even over BT. Noticed it but it doesn't really bother me that much. It reminds me of codec sync issues from back in the infancy-of-mp3 days. mp3 encoded under one codec may not play back smoothly when decoded using a different codec.

#4 ·
I had been using apple maps for last 3-4 years. Before that I had used the TomTom app. After getting the in-car navigation in the Limited trim, I have been using that exclusively. I am fairly satisfied with it. The directions are clear and there is no lag in tracking my location. I like the voice navigation feature. The POI list is not comprehensive but most places can be found.

#5 ·
Same

Yes! I just bought a 2018 Legacy and you're the only person I've seen post something about this exact same issue I'm having. It skips during music playback and makes little glitchy "zap" noises sometimes when navigating through the user interface and also while shifting gears?! So bogus. I've been working with my dealership and they told me today that there's nothing they can do at this point after replacing the head unit. Guess I'll be contacting Suby of America next. :( Please let me know if you ever get this resolved!

#7 ·
Yes! I just bought a 2018 Legacy and you're the only person I've seen post something about this exact same issue I'm having. It skips during music playback and makes little glitchy "zap" noises sometimes when navigating through the user interface and also while shifting gears?! So bogus. I've been working with my dealership and they told me today that there's nothing they can do at this point after replacing the head unit. Guess I'll be contacting Suby of America next. :( Please let me know if you ever get this resolved!
The issue has been reported to Subaru customer service. The Subaru field service rep met me at my dealership and rode with me to observe the problem. We duplicated it in another vehicle so it is not the headunit...it is an issue with the firmware in the Harmon Kardon unit and the problem has been reported to HK and we are awaiting an update.

#8 ·
I?m pretty sure that harman only makes the higher end radio with the bigger touch screen. We had this discussion at work yesterday and rumors at the plant that next year subaru is dumping their current radio suppliers for someone new...no news on who that may be though. IMO how badass would it be to see a factory pioneer unit?

#9 · (Edited)
Harman Kardon

I?m pretty sure that harman only makes the higher end radio with the bigger touch screen. ...
??? My base model 2017 Impreza has the Harman Kardon radio with the 6.5" screen.

Is this problem limited to Apple's Car Play? I have no issues with my car using Android Auto.

Let's not lay blame in the wrong place.

#11 ·
Money is the root of all evil

... Android OS > iOS
Ranking of replacement parts to fix head unit issues (in increasing order by price):
  1. New Android phone
  2. New head unit
  3. New Apple iPhone
  4. New car
The decision process should be clear ... >:)

#35 · (Edited)
use no hub

Loni’s notes
my Impreza only has one USB port, so I use a hub, which worked great for thumb drives and android auto, & Waze but

The iPhone does not work with the hub, has to be plugged directly, bummer
also Waze does not work through CarPlay, (but works by itself)

also realized that you have to slow down when touching the screen - 6.5 screen
also noted that this car corners really good, is this normal for a Subaru? nice (comparing to a Toyota Camry)

Got 27.07 mpg (tank&milage test) used 11.08 gal - mostly around town
(gas ind came on at 60 miles left)

Reactions: Sukup11
#13 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to this group and this is my first post. I actually have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited (Canadian model) but it has the same 8" Harmon head unit as the 2017 Impreza. I too have had the EXACT same issues with occasional CarPlay audio glitches during playback that were so annoying that I swiftly disabled CarPlay and went back to basic Bluetooth connectivity. Today, just for larfs, I decided to try CarPlay again and the glitches were back, so I'll be reverting to Bluetooth again tomorrow. Seems counterintuitive that a wireless connection would be more stable than a hard-wired USB link, but it definitely seems to be the case.

My car is solidly paired with my home wi-fi so every morning I'm given the same reassurance that no new updates are available for the head unit. Perhaps one of these days Harmon/Subaru will figure out what this audio glitch problem is, but it's just as likely (if not more so) that the real problem is with Apple. I am still running iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6 since I've heard all sorts of horror stories about CarPlay and iOS 11.x. Hopefully ALL the vendors will get their acts together to ensure their products interact better than this.

#16 ·
yeah, same here. every now and again, when connected via USB, it won't load Apple CarPlay (although my iPhone is still charging, so i know it's connected). But if i turn the car off and back on again, it will finally reconnect. Weird. Hopefully it's just a software issue that can be patched.

#17 ·
Mine does not have this problem fortunately, and I have used multiple phones on the car play system. My old iPhone 5 worked flawlessly with CarPlay, and my current 7+ works just as good. I also have had several friends use the car play with their phones (mix of iPhones and androids) and it works flawlessly. Sorry if I can’t give you any advice, but from everything I have seen a low battery in this car causes several problems. I put my car on a trickle charger once a month to keep the battery full, and I have not had any of the op’s problems or any listed on the forum. Maybie the car cuts voltage in order to charge the battery? Idk but I hope this helps

#18 ·
This is a know problem, happens with my car and iPhone SE. I let the dealer know after the last software update to the phone, he knew about it already. Hopefully this will be corrected in the next update. Let’s not let this thread turn into an android vs iOS thread. People like what they like, had a galaxy, didn’t care for it.

#19 ·
CarPlay Audio Blip Issue

Has anyone learned of any fixes or solutions to this issue yet? I am also experiencing this periodic audio blip when using CarPlay in my 2018 Limited Crosstrek with the Harman Kardon speakers. Any new information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Jonathan

#27 ·
Late May/June 2018? If so I'll just wait...

I currently have Rel2.17.22.20 (June 2017) in my 2017 Impreza Ltd
The dealer server person told me "you have the latest version, we did this for
you last year".

Right and I told him about the TSB 15-211-17R and New one is Rel2.17.43.20
This is correct for the 2017 Impreza Ltd with 8" display - right? I said it may
correct a bunch of issues I am having with CarPlay and the unit.

They just refused to do it (I think) because they didn't want to be bothered on a Sat.
although I ask several times if there was any reason they couldn't do it and they
didn't say anything until they gave me the car back. Just "I have the latest"

So what should I do? I really hate fighting with these guys over nothing. Fortunately
it's not critical. Should I call Subaru and register the issue?

#21 ·
With my connected iPhone 7, maps in CarPlay seems to work OK most of the time, but Pandora is totally flakey when wired. It shows, but no response when I hit play on the screen or change channels. But if I fiddle enough I can get it to work - sometimes. I think it is OK on Bluetooth, but I want it when I am using CarPlay maps (wired).

Besides the annoying part of this reliability issue, all the convenience and safety this is supposed to buy us as drivers is made 100x worse because I spend alot of time twiddling the screen and can easily get distracted when I am usually pretty good about staying hands-free. I catch myself and stop and go back to SirusXM for audio, but it really sucks.

I will hopefully get the current SW (I am one version behind) later this week, but from what I can tell I don't expect it will fix things really.

#22 ·
@smrtech in both my wife's forester (2015 premium) and my impreza (2017 sport) we have had issues with having bluetooth on and being hardwired in...I have no idea why but it messes everything up we both just usually wire in....

back to the OP I get little errors every time...it is annoying and some days it is more noticeable than not it sounds like a little skip...it also does this when after going in reverse with the backup cam...

I haven't gotten any updates since I bought the car in December. I'm using an iphone 7.

#23 ·
Interesting, and of course, if the phone rings and I want to answer it, that only works via Bluetooth (right?)
I hate that I'd have to keep turning Bluetooth on and off, but I'll try it.

#24 ·
No problems with Carplay since I got my 2017 Limited last August. I keep the phone plugged into the usb when I drive with bluetooth on. It charges and everything works fine on my phone-- calls, music, even reads texts to me and sends an answer I dictate. And the apple navigation is great. With Carplay I can change the route (like yesterday when it wanted to go a slower way, I just said, use highways and it changed to the faster route. (That happened because Colorado has free roads with optional toll lanes and I think I have it set on avoid toll roads on the phone nav.) It is one of the best safety thing about the car.

I just leave bluetooth on all the time. With Carplay you just use your phone through the app.

#25 ·
Can you reliably use Pandora with Apple CarPlay? Stops as soon as you hit play or change channels.
Once in a while it does play, but random behavior. Getting the latest HK update today, but don’t
expect it to matter.

#31 ·
Thanks, I will take this approach. I am sure it is the same version for the 2017.
Without being able to see the full TSB, do any of the issues related to Apple CarPlay?

#32 ·
OK, I called Subaru and they tell me that I am definite due for a later version of the SW. Whether it will fix the problem or not, who knows.
But they will call my dealership and grease the skips to get me setup to get that update so there is no ambiguity.

I should have known to do this, but figured it was no big deal. If you want a TSB performed, you (and I should have too!), print out the
and take it with you. Stick it in the face of the service guy, show him the updated version.

I had a technical problem with the Bluetooth in an old Acura and had nothing but denial from the service person until I did just that.
Got the whole module fixed - JUST THE THE TSB SAYS! They can't argue with their own recommendations. Subaru C/S person
was incredibly nice and helpful.

Here is the TSB: https://www.dropbox.com/s/unzu0ikcfneph3i/Infortainment_TSB_06-2017.PDF?dl=0

Reactions: Valster3
#33 ·
That link is the old TSB. They keep re-using the same TSB number and just update it with the new version number and revision date. If you walk in with that, they may say you already have the version specified by this TSB if they really want to be a55holes. Since you got Subaru involved, you should be ok but for anyone else - beware.

By the way, notice what it says at the end in the "Warranty / Claim Information" section. It looks like you'll have to pay for the software updates after the warranty period expires unless you got the gold extended warranty contract. $100+ for a 10 minute software update that anyone can do on their own if Subaru let them - what BS.

#34 ·
Oh good point, something about it looked stale. I had Subaru call the dealership to put a note in my file about getting the update and when I just got the dealer survey I mentioned this as well (and why I wasn't happy).

Anybody have the latest and greatest version of the TSB? I definitely have an older SW version than the one mentioned in that version of the TSB.