5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, All: Got a 2018 hatch, standard transmission. First time Subaru owner and I love the car. Just picked up an ADF lift (1 inch front and 1 3/8 inch rear) and plan to install next month. Looking to run some larger tires (whatever the smallest AT I can get into). Thanks for all these forum posts--lots of great info!

·
Banned
417 Posts
Welcome to the forums from West Virginia... you've come to the right place. It's a rare person who has one of these that doesn't love them, and this is the watering hole we gather around.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you as time goes on. It's a car that makes you want to talk about it, share your experiences in and with, and learn a few things you didn't know, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums from West Virginia... you've come to the right place. It's a rare person who has one of these that doesn't love them, and this is the watering hole we gather around.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you as time goes on. It's a car that makes you want to talk about it, share your experiences in and with, and learn a few things you didn't know, too.
Thanks for the kind welcome! Glad to be here!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey, All: Got a 2018 hatch, standard transmission. First time Subaru owner and I love the car. Just picked up an ADF lift (1 inch front and 1 3/8 inch rear) and plan to install next month. Looking to run some larger tires (whatever the smallest AT I can get into). Thanks for all these forum posts--lots of great info!
Welcome! ADF makes good lift kits. For our cars you'd probably have to run 15 or 16" rims to get the AT tire that you want. According to Anderson's tire chart the Impreza can run a tire size up to 27.2" diameter. I run 215/70/15 and got a little rubbing on the mudflap. I had to cut a little. Someone I know has done 205/75/15. If you go for 16" rims then I'd say max tire you can do is 215/65/16 and that'll get you the most tire options (Falken Wildpeak AT Trail, Yokohama Geolander GO15).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! ADF makes good lift kits. For our cars you'd probably have to run 15 or 16" rims to get the AT tire that you want. According to Anderson's tire chart the Impreza can run a tire size up to 27.2" diameter. I run 215/70/15 and got a little rubbing on the mudflap. I had to cut a little. Someone I know has done 205/75/15. If you go for 16" rims then I'd say max tire you can do is 215/65/16 and that'll get you the most tire options (Falken Wildpeak AT Trail, Yokohama Geolander GO15).
Sweet--thanks for the info and the welcome. I do have 16 inch rims. Thinking I'll just do the 215/65/16 Wildpeak or Geolanders (based on best price). I'm under no illusions about large ground clearance--mainly do dry lake beds, National Forest/National Park roads, etc. Any concerns I need to have about going up in tire size with the AWD? Nobody seems concerned here on the forums––just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sweet--thanks for the info and the welcome. I do have 16 inch rims. Thinking I'll just do the 215/65/16 Wildpeak or Geolanders (based on best price). I'm under no illusions about large ground clearance--mainly do dry lake beds, National Forest/National Park roads, etc. Any concerns I need to have about going up in tire size with the AWD? Nobody seems concerned here on the forums––just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
I'm also running 16's and am looking to get a better looking (and more accommodating) set of rims after my tax next return. I'd prefer to end up with something that I can eventually put a bigger tire on. I'm not looking for maximum off-roading, just safety (half the reason I purchased my new Impreza!). I'm looking for threads regarding this, as I am new to Subaru and want to get something that will work well with my car, but doesn't break the bank. I have a household to feed after all...lol.

Specs and tire charts are probably the direction that I need to go in. Just from reading this thread I'm learning though. My goal is to make my Subaru perfect in every facet, maintain its ridiculous reliability, and drive it until I upgrade to a newer and/or bigger model. At that time, I'd be stoked if I could give this car to my son (he'll be driving in about 10-ish years). From everything I've read, it should make it to that point without a hitch!

Glad to be a part of this community and meet all you fine folks!

~Cheers~

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
Glad the guys gave you a warm welcome!

I was in Aruba when you joined, hope you love your new Imp!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update to all about the ADF lift. Put it on with a buddy yesterday (1 inch in the front and 1 3/8 inches in the rear). Install was fairly straight-forward. Had some questions about the front and I called the ADF number listed on the instructions. Patrick answered on first ring and gave me some solid advice--install was all good after that. Now it's time to find tires!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just updating here because some folks replied with interest about the lift. Pics below of the new look and ride.
  • ADF lift (1 inch front, 1 3/8 inch rear)
  • Larger tires (215/65r16) No rubbing at all
  • Rear mud flaps only
  • Ride is pretty close to factory, but an extra 2 inches or so of ground clearance.
  • Looks cool
:)

IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1455.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just updating here because some folks replied with interest about the lift. Pics below of the new look and ride.
  • ADF lift (1 inch front, 1 3/8 inch rear)
  • Larger tires (215/65r16) No rubbing at all
  • Rear mud flaps only
  • Ride is pretty close to factory, but an extra 2 inches or so of ground clearance.
  • Looks cool
:)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you have any photos of how centered the rear wheels are in the fender well?

I'm assuming you bought the strut spacer kit from ADF but didn't install the alignment spacers. Curious if these are needed with this amonut of lift. Appreciate any insight you can provide!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you have any photos of how centered the rear wheels are in the fender well?

I'm assuming you bought the strut spacer kit from ADF but didn't install the alignment spacers. Curious if these are needed with this amonut of lift. Appreciate any insight you can provide!
So, outside and top of fender well still extends past outside of tire. Patrick at ADF is pretty good about including necessary mods as lifts go higher. You can email ADF with any questions and they'll respond. The rear camber is slightly off according to my local alignment shop, but it's well within acceptable range as long as I rotate tires every 5-6 thousand miles. They said I should have no issues with wear as long as I rotate faithfully.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts