5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware I traded my 2017 Impreza Sport for a 2018 WRX Premium in February 2018. 3 months & 7,000 miles later it’s at the Subaru dealer for major repairs.
On Sunday night right after getting gas, the check engine light illuminates, cruise control light is flashing, abs light is on, traction light is on & hill start assist light is on. I checked online & people said the gas cap is usually the culprit. Checked it, but I had tightened it correctly.
On Monday I brought it to the dealer to have it checked. I assumed it would be the gas cap & I’d be out of there in no time!!!
After waiting for 2 hours the service advisor informs me that the camshaft has to be replaced along with the camshaft sprocket & a new ECU unit. She said the engine needs to be removed to complete the work. I’m like whatttttt your kidding right? Nope. So the estimated completion date is 5/14!!! I had just got the 6,000 mile oil change two weeks prior at that same dealer.
This is the second Subaru vehicle I’ve had issues with including the 2017 Impreza. Are Subaru’s just not reliable anymore? Has anyone experienced this issue before with the WRX? I’m so pi**ed. I contacted SOA as soon as I got home from the dealer. I got them involved because when the car is completed I want to be compensated for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow man I am so sorry :( that really sucks. I am questioning Subaru's quality lately as well, seems like they are becoming to big for their bridges and quality is suffering because of it. I mean my 2017 Impreza Sport was missing the " Sport " badge on the trunk when I purchased it brand new. It only had 25 miles on it.
I hope your issue is a one off thing and the car is solid for the rest of the time you own it after this. I hope the dealer put you into a fully loaded loaner.

BTW if you call Subaru customer service again try to work with either Mark or Luke. They have been working with me on some issues I have been having with my local dealership and are top notch. They will make sure that you are well taken care of.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am trying to figure out why the camshaft and sprocket would need replacing because some warning lights came on? did the car ever lose power? did you drive it in or have to have it towed? if the car ran like it should, I don't believe it would be the cam/sprocket. if those break, you know it immediately. the ECU may need to be replaced, but I can't see the other items. did they remove anything from the engine to actually check moving parts? I have actually heard of this before on some of the older WRX's with mileage on them, but certainly not on a brand new one.

either way, it sucks for sure man! I hate you are going thru this yet again with another Subie. I was actually planning to stay in the Subie family myself for a while, but I have already traded my 2016 Crosstrek for a new Tacoma, and will probably ditch the Impreza as soon as my daughter decides what she wants. I would like to someday own a WRX for myself, but that is gonna be a while.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As some of you are aware I traded my 2017 Impreza Sport for a 2018 WRX Premium in February 2018. 3 months & 7,000 miles later it’s at the Subaru dealer for major repairs.
On Sunday night right after getting gas, the check engine light illuminates, cruise control light is flashing, abs light is on, traction light is on & hill start assist light is on. I checked online & people said the gas cap is usually the culprit. Checked it, but I had tightened it correctly.
On Monday I brought it to the dealer to have it checked. I assumed it would be the gas cap & I’d be out of there in no time!!!
After waiting for 2 hours the service advisor informs me that the camshaft has to be replaced along with the camshaft sprocket & a new ECU unit. She said the engine needs to be removed to complete the work. I’m like whatttttt your kidding right? Nope. So the estimated completion date is 5/14!!! I had just got the 6,000 mile oil change two weeks prior at that same dealer.
This is the second Subaru vehicle I’ve had issues with including the 2017 Impreza. Are Subaru’s just not reliable anymore? Has anyone experienced this issue before with the WRX? I’m so pi**ed. I contacted SOA as soon as I got home from the dealer. I got them involved because when the car is completed I want to be compensated for the inconvenience.
Sorry to hear what is going on with your Wrx. It too makes me wonder about Subaru's.

It does make me wonder why a sprocket can go? And an ECU replaced? What does either have in common? Variable valve timing is controlled by the electronics but I would think the ECU does both cams so why would only one cam be effected? Complicated but the engine faults are recorded and once read the mechanic just replaces the bad stuff. I would have thought that the ECU would just be reset? Makes me want a Toyota instead of a Subaru

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dang man that really sucks. I would honestly see if you can get a new wrx after this whole fiasco in order to ensure there are no future problems. And the quality thing.. I haven't had any problems on my impreza except for the head unit loosing presets, and after the software update for the head unit, It is gone. 12,000 Miles in and 2 oil changes, it still drives and feels like new.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only issue I’ve encountered was the vehicle refusing to start first try. It would take multiple tries to get it to start & this occurred a handful of times. I drove it to the dealer, but it was lacking power. The dealer said it went into “limp” mode with all the lights on. The dealer gave me a printout of the multiple codes that showed up. I don’t have the list on hand, but will post later today. The dealer said they encountered this issue in the past & research online shows me it’s a common issue with the WRX.

Yeah this is the second Subaru I’ve had issues with so it makes me rethink my opinion of Subaru. It makes me nervous with this issue occurring so soon, what further issues may arise further down the road.
Did they give you a free loaner car?
They offered me a loaner but I declined. All they had was Impreza’s. All the work is covered under warranty & rightly so.

·
Registered
778 Posts
They offered me a loaner but I declined. All they had was Impreza’s. All the work is covered under warranty & rightly so.
yeah, warranty will cover it but that still sucks. I just find that hard to believe, only 7K miles in and this happens. I know it can happen to any of them, but still. I hope they get it straight for you. I would run the snot out of it from now on just to make sure if it does break, it breaks under warranty.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,906 Posts
Sadly (I believe and in my experience) whenever an engine is out of a car and put back in things are never quite "perfect" after that.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sadly (I believe and in my experience) whenever an engine is out of a car and put back in things are never quite "perfect" after that.
I was thinking the same thing, CJ. sadly, but I was. while they have it out I would at the very least make sure they have it externally balanced. if that is even possible on these engines...

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's tough to hear man, hopefully your dealer actually takes care of your vehicle and does a proper job of reinstallation. Perhaps you got unlucky with your car? My friends own new WRX's and they haven't had any problems yet.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,906 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, CJ. sadly, but I was. while they have it out I would at the very least make sure they have it externally balanced. if that is even possible on these engines...
In my experience it is all of the little hoses and electronic sensors etc. that will never quite be the same, lots of little gremlins after you pull an engine out. I would have demanded they lemon law it and give me a new car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here’s the list of codes that showed up:
B1572 communication malfunction (immobilizer CM to ECM)
P1604 startability malfunction
P0016 crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A
C1422 vdc interruption for engine convenience
C2521 speed abnormal
C2548 vehicle dynamics control module system
B14A1 sunload sensor circuit low/open
B1501 power supply system error detection

·
Registered
778 Posts
dang 1stsubie, that really sucks. I am with CJ here, I would demand they give you a new car altogether. if it threw that many codes, who knows what the actual issue is? there is no way they can determine it is just the camshaft/sprocket and ECU. I would certainly try to lemon law and probably move on from Subaru. I hate to say that, because I really like Subie, and would love to have a WRX myself. but with your experiences with different cars now, I would have to say see ya. same thing happened to me when I was younger with Chevrolet. every one I bought was junk, from day 1. to this day, I will not even entertain owning a Chevy. or GMC for that matter. I wish you luck with this man, I truly do.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dang 1stsubie, that really sucks. I am with CJ here, I would demand they give you a new car altogether. if it threw that many codes, who knows what the actual issue is? there is no way they can determine it is just the camshaft/sprocket and ECU.
I know it seems like they are just popping parts into it to try fix the issue, but I’ve been doing a lot of thinking the past few days & I really love the WRX. Call me crazy, but it has been my dream car for a long time. Ever since Colin McRae & my high school days I’ve wanted one. Once I get it back from the dealer though I’m gonna see how it drives & go from there. I’m not gonna give up on it just yet.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know it seems like they are just popping parts into it to try fix the issue, but I’ve been doing a lot of thinking the past few days & I really love the WRX. Call me crazy, but it has been my dream car for a long time. Ever since Colin McRae & my high school days I’ve wanted one. Once I get it back from the dealer though I’m gonna see how it drives & go from there. I’m not gonna give up on it just yet.
oh I understand completely. I too am a WRX fanboy, lol. my wife would be driving one now if they would have had better lease deals when leased her Lexus RC F Sport. but she loves her RC so once this lease is up she will 99.99999% get another RC...one day I will try to get a WRX, maybe. but for now, it just wouldn't fit our family's needs.

if you love the car, give them a chance to make it right. if they can't/don't, then try to lemon law it and maybe even give one more a shot? they are definitely great cars and they perform exceptionally well. definitely one of the fastest lil 4 bangers I have driven in a long time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Here’s the list of codes that showed up:
B1572 communication malfunction (immobilizer CM to ECM)
P1604 startability malfunction
P0016 crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A
C1422 vdc interruption for engine convenience
C2521 speed abnormal
C2548 vehicle dynamics control module system
B14A1 sunload sensor circuit low/open
B1501 power supply system error detection
I'm gonna bet the ECU could be replaced and the problems would be fixed. I don't know that for sure, but just looking at the codes you posted. looks like most of the codes are due to sensor errors. P0016 would be the only one related to the camshaft/sprocket issue they told you about. but it looks like that is a sensor as well. I don't think the camshaft jumped out of position. if it did, I think you would know that immediately. the engine would make some weird horrible noises. I will try to show this to a friend of mine who has tuned a few of these WRX's and see what he thinks. he also is a lead tech at another dealership, so maybe he can shed some light. never hurts to ask.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts