5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Today I brought my 2019 Impreza 5DH in for its first oil change at the dealership. I have two questions.

1) Is there a "Compression ring" that goes on the oil pan bolt? And if so, does it need to be changed at every oil change?

2) I have been seriously thinking of starting to do the oil changes myself. I just turned 67 and I'm in basically as good a shape as most 50 somethings. What is making me consider this is that the filter is up top and I won't have to wrestle that underneath the car. The main question is which FUMOTO drain plug should I order to make that part of the job easy? I have seen numerous different plugs purported to fit. My car is a 2019 Limited 5DH.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, if you are using the standard plug, there is a crush washer that is supposed to be changed each time. Some folks reuse but the point is that it should deform when you tighten the plug to spec.

I have a Fumoto F108S on my 2017 Premium. Great item - I had a private garage install it with my first oil change and I have done them myself ever since. I drive the car onto a short wooden ramp that I built from 2 thicknesses of 1x6 scrap lumber to get the front end up a bit so I can reach the valve. This car is much lower than my old Forester. Other than that, I recommend getting the plastic adapter for a drain hose when you order the valve - inexpensive and it gives a better fit to the short tube (I stayed away from the long version because I didn't want anything protruding below the vehicle). Once, the warm oil caused the hose to expand and slip off making a bit of a mess before I flipped shut the lever on the Fumoto.

Reactions: pbunn1953

·
Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for a very informative reply. I take it since all 5th Gen. have basically the same engines, I can use the same drain plug part number that you mentioned.

·
Registered
380 Posts
With FUMOTO valve,, oil changes are nearly dripless.

I lay down infront of the vehicle and can reach underneath to activate the valve. (I use an old peice of carpeting to lie on)

The 'secret' to a dripless change is to open the valve, then LOOSEN the filter on the top and allow it to drain down into the pan.(and out the valve)

After several minutes, the filter can be removed and stuffed into a ziplok baggie without losing a drop. The new filter can be installed while the pan is still dripping.

I usually wait until I can count 10 seconds between drops.... then close the valve and slide out the catch-pan.

One caveat.... the placement of the drain on the oil-pan points REARWARD.... you cannot SEE the valve so everything is done thru 'feel' (remove plastic safety clip, open valve..... close valve, reisntall plastic safety clip.)

·
Registered
452 Posts
My homemade ramp (two thicknesses of 1x6 scrap lumber) gives me enough clearance to see what I am doing under there securely without raising the car too much. I didn't feel confident working by feel (at the end of my short arm reach!)

A quick SNAP with a cell phone camera is another great way to check your work and make sure the safety clip is in place :>)

3D568AEF-C63E-4959-89C4-806356DB7883.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Today I brought my 2019 Impreza 5DH in for its first oil change at the dealership. I have two questions.

1) Is there a "Compression ring" that goes on the oil pan bolt? And if so, does it need to be changed at every oil change?

2) I have been seriously thinking of starting to do the oil changes myself. I just turned 67 and I'm in basically as good a shape as most 50 somethings. What is making me consider this is that the filter is up top and I won't have to wrestle that underneath the car. The main question is which FUMOTO drain plug should I order to make that part of the job easy? I have seen numerous different plugs purported to fit. My car is a 2019 Limited 5DH.
The easy solution is to eliminate the need to take off the plug and this is done by removing the oil via a suction device. You thread a tube down into the dipstick and pump the device to suction out the oil. They do work and are used in marine engines. No crawling underneath the car.

I have one like this: https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Extractor-Changer-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B079FJ21DV/ref=sr_1_12?crid=JG9XCYIBWWS6&dchild=1&keywords=engine+oil+removal+pump&qid=1602716518&sprefix=engine+oil+re,aps,286&sr=8-12

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
738 Posts
How well does that work? I've thought about something like that but it seems to me it may would leave possibly too much behind. I have no direct experience though. For the oil drain valve, I've done a check and removed it after getting out all the oil that would come out and it was minimal, less than an ounce. Will the evacuator work when the oil is super hot? It's one of the things I like about the drain valve.

FWIW that plastic lock on the drain valve I think is not really needed. I've been using the drain valve since I put one on our 97 Outback. Never has the valve lever moved on it's own.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
148 Posts
I have a Fumoto F108S on my 2017 Premium.
Same Fumoto I have on my 2019 Premium. Works great. I'm a bigger guy so I also use ramps to get underneath when I change my oil. Also gives me a chance to do a quick visual inspection for rust, leaks, etc. when I'm under there.

Probably due for another oil change soon, I just got back from a big road trip.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
31 Posts
I’m using a topside oil extractor for awhile now on my non BMW cars (no dipstick) and it extracts alot of oil out. My daughter’s previous car took 4 qts and after extraction I added 4 qts and the dipstick showed full. I plan on using it on the Impreza.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
738 Posts
Let me know how it works after you change the oil on the Impreza I'm curious.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
31 Posts
Will do. I’ll take pics. We’re only at 2100 miles so far. Should I do an early break-in change? Maybe at 4k miles? I have four of the black Japanese oil filters already.

I’m using a Schwaben 6.5 liter fluid extractor. I think it was $60?

i’ve used it on my daughter’s HHR numerous times, my daughter-in-law’s Nissan Rogue and my ex-wife’s Chevy Camaro. Pretty much everyone’s car but my own. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts