5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've a fuel economy question.

So I recently moved from Massachusetts to Florida (drove her all the way down) and since getting here I noticed my milage has gotten worse. In Massachusetts, after a fillup, I would get a reading of 300-310 mile range. Now that I'm in Florida, that range only shows ~230 miles after a fillup. In addition, my mileage has dropped from ~26-28mpg to ~22-24mpg.
The trip down I got about 26-28mpg.

Does anyone have any insight as to why my range has dropped, even after I have just filled the tank up? Does the range take MPG into consideration? Should I try resetting Trip A and B? I have kept Trip A running since I left Mass just to see how far I've driven and whatnot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has your driving pattern changed since your move? Are you making shorter trips in more urban traffic in Florida? That will affect your mileage.

Also, for the most accurate measure, reset your Trip counter at every fill up. At the next fill up (to full tank), divide the number of miles by the gallons you filled up to get your actual mpg, before you reset the trip counter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has your driving pattern changed since your move? Are you making shorter trips in more urban traffic in Florida? That will affect your mileage.

Also, for the most accurate measure, reset your Trip counter at every fill up. At the next fill up (to full tank), divide the number of miles by the gallons you filled up to get your actual mpg, before you reset the trip counter.
It has not changed too drastically, maybe more off and on the throttle just by a little bit. I use Trip B to keep track of every fillup mileage. One additional thing is that I'm only going about 50-60 miles before my gauge reads 3/4.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I have a base 5MT hatch and my average MPG is 32.4, I live in rural Louisiana and do mostly hwy driving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One additional thing is that I'm only going about 50-60 miles before my gauge reads 3/4.
If I do all highway I get ~50 to 60 miles before I loose a block. If a mix I'm right around where you are.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I average around 35 MPG with my 2017 CVT imp. (lower in cold weather)

I monitor MPG fairly closely and have found TWO things which reduce MPG
1) Different gasoline (more ethanol = lower MPG)
2) Dragging brake pads. (winter salt rusts pads to sliders)

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
155 Posts
Range is dependent on your driving style (mpg). 24 mpg is terrible unless you're sitting at stop lights all the time. I would advise you look into and implement some hypermiling concepts.

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have anything that will drag the car? Like a roof box? Even the type of tires you have will affect mpg. Make sure your air filter is clean too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Use quality gas no more than 10% ethanol, make sure that tires are fully inflated, also check the oil once a week.
The US has a legal LIMIT of not more than 10% ethanol (E10 gasoline).
E15 gas has 15% ethanol, but only flex vehicles and light duty can take that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think it's really that low. I average 18 mph, but I also drive it like I stole it and most of my driving is stop signs every 100 ft, so it's up to 35 mph, back down to 0 constently. I can get 34 mpg on the highway if I drive like a grandma with a very light foot and gaining speeds on the downhills and letting off on the uphills. But i usually am heavy on the peddle (mainly cause it doesn't really do very much). #bringbacktheSTIhatch

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't think it's really that low. I average 18 mph, but I also drive it like I stole it and most of my driving is stop signs every 100 ft, so it's up to 35 mph, back down to 0 constently. I can get 34 mpg on the highway if I drive like a grandma with a very light foot and gaining speeds on the downhills and letting off on the uphills. But i usually am heavy on the peddle (mainly cause it doesn't really do very much). #bringbacktheSTIhatch
And that's the #1 reason why I don't buy used cars....
Our cars aren't meant for hard driving and won't have a long life if doing so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
And that's the #1 reason why I don't buy used cars....
Our cars aren't meant for hard driving and won't have a long life if doing so.
Oh, I agree. But I also do a lot of extra maintenance and have done other upgrades to deal with these. I have installed a CVT cooler for example to keep the CVT fluid good, and I also flush it every 30k.

I expect to have head gasket issues somewhere between 60-100k. But a basically new engine is less than 2k. $400 for a harbor freight engine puller, and it's a much cheaper car to work on than say an sti, where a used ej25 still runs 5k+, and new can run 8k.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh, I agree. But I also do a lot of extra maintenance and have done other upgrades to deal with these. I have installed a CVT cooler for example to keep the CVT fluid good, and I also flush it every 30k.

I expect to have head gasket issues somewhere between 60-100k. But a basically new engine is less than 2k. $400 for a harbor freight engine puller, and it's a much cheaper car to work on than say an sti, where a used ej25 still runs 5k+, and new can run 8k.
That's one thing that I love about my 5MT base, ultra simple for a modern car.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
155 Posts
CVT cooler ... to keep the CVT fluid good, and I also flush it every 30k.
I want a CVT cooler now. Link me what you got pls

Reactions: peaty
1 - 20 of 21 Posts