5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took care of the paperwork; bought a 2019 Sport Wagon in metallic black, CVT, and none of that eyesight crap. I test-drove one which had that, and every time I clipped a corner a bit, the [email protected] thing nagged me, so I found one without it (and with a lower-cost stereo as well). The only options I have are the winter floormats, cargo tray and seatback protector, cargo area cover, block heater, and the CVT.

I really wanted a manual, but it's only a 5 speed, and I have other reasons why I sometimes need an automatic; my partner doesn't drive manual, and being a dialysis patient, I really need the ability to drive home 1-handed from time to time. Also, the CVT offers actually 7 'gear positions' on manual mode. Yes, the shifts are a bit less precise and maybe less instantaneous, but it should work well for winter driving.

One thing I would like info on: I know that the stock headlamps are rather wimpy, so I'll probably want to add external lighting. Mounting options seem limited on this car at first glance. Some lighting retailers sell license bracket mounts, but maybe there are other options?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just took care of the paperwork; bought a 2019 Sport Wagon in metallic black, CVT, and none of that eyesight crap. I test-drove one which had that, and every time I clipped a corner a bit, the [email protected] thing nagged me, so I found one without it (and with a lower-cost stereo as well). The only options I have are the winter floormats, cargo tray and seatback protector, cargo area cover, block heater, and the CVT.

I really wanted a manual, but it's only a 5 speed, and I have other reasons why I sometimes need an automatic; my partner doesn't drive manual, and being a dialysis patient, I really need the ability to drive home 1-handed from time to time. Also, the CVT offers actually 7 'gear positions' on manual mode. Yes, the shifts are a bit less precise and maybe less instantaneous, but it should work well for winter driving.

One thing I would like info on: I know that the stock headlamps are rather wimpy, so I'll probably want to add external lighting. Mounting options seem limited on this car at first glance. Some lighting retailers sell license bracket mounts, but maybe there are other options?
Check out LP Aventures, they've got stuff for light mounting. Or just swap out the halogen bulbs in the housing for LED's. Bout $150.00 and a half hour of your time.
Everything I like about my car, that is a nitpick that I aim to change.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check out LP Aventures, they've got stuff for light mounting. Or just swap out the halogen bulbs in the housing for LED's. Bout $150.00 and a half hour of your time.
I swapped my halogens out for LEDs...cost me less than half of that.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
A lot of us go with the Beamtech brand from Amazon. They work wonderful!
Interesting.. I'll have to dig into it. Good looking out! Any idea how they hold up in a cold climate? Seeing some people saying they get eaten up by salt and what-not. I'm in MN but for the price point it may be worth the gamble. We regularly go to Diode Dynamic for our lighting needs at my place of work so that's where I was initially going to. 3 year warranty is hard to beat in this state imo

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, LED's may be brighter, but they throw light all over the place. In the end, they don't improve the reach I need. Also, the 1 light that place offers isn't really the type I'm looking for, and they don't offer any mounting solutions, either. I may end up hitting Susquehanna Motorsports for something more professional..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nah, LED's may be brighter, but they throw light all over the place. In the end, they don't improve the reach I need. Also, the 1 light that place offers isn't really the type I'm looking for, and they don't offer any mounting solutions, either. I may end up hitting Susquehanna Motorsports for something more professional..
I'd just get a Yakima basket on top for mounting solutions and have a light bar professionally hardwired at that point. Easy access functional. Been waiting on Rigid to come out with a grill solution. Diode Dynamics came out with a rally good setup but that's overkill for dailys imo

·
Banned
417 Posts
My Imp is my second car with steering responsive LED headlights and they're excellent, a far cry from yesteryear's lights.

From all I've read, literally any aftermarket LED solution in OEM housings are worse than stock... regardless of anectdotal satisfactions. So if looking to add LED headlights to a car I'd search for units like the OEM LED ones, or even the OEM ones, although the SRH part will likely not function they would be the best solution.

But you're not limited to just LED lights, there are even better available... HID. HID lights, like were in my STi, are incredible at reaching down the road. They should be available for our cars, although I haven't kept up on them for a while since getting OEM SRH LEDs. If available, they're what I'd want if going to the trouble of adding better lights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting.. I'll have to dig into it. Good looking out! Any idea how they hold up in a cold climate? Seeing some people saying they get eaten up by salt and what-not. I'm in MN but for the price point it may be worth the gamble. We regularly go to Diode Dynamic for our lighting needs at my place of work so that's where I was initially going to. 3 year warranty is hard to beat in this state imo
As far as the Beamtech in the Sport housings, I've had absolutely no issues in the year I've used them. I live in Rhode Island so we see temps as low as the single digits up to the high 90's. Granted, they're bright as hell and may not be the most pleasant lights for oncoming traffic, but it's not overbearing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What brand you end up going with?
As BryGuy888 said, I went with the Beamtech lights. I got mine from their eBay sales page, but I would recommend the Amazon one. 2 of mine came DOA and I had no issues with them replacing them at all. I have had them over a year and really like them, a lot. I work nights so light is important to me

·
Registered
295 Posts
My Imp is my second car with steering responsive LED headlights and they're excellent, a far cry from yesteryear's lights.

From all I've read, literally any aftermarket LED solution in OEM housings are worse than stock... regardless of anectdotal satisfactions. So if looking to add LED headlights to a car I'd search for units like the OEM LED ones, or even the OEM ones, although the SRH part will likely not function they would be the best solution.

But you're not limited to just LED lights, there are even better available... HID. HID lights, like were in my STi, are incredible at reaching down the road. They should be available for our cars, although I haven't kept up on them for a while since getting OEM SRH LEDs. If available, they're what I'd want if going to the trouble of adding better lights.
I used to think that too, but like so many things not all LED lights are created equity. I did my research before I joined the BeamTech crew, and I am very happy with my purchase. The BeamTech lights have a better cutoff then my stock halogens did. They were SUPER easy to put in and align so that I was not "that guy" with them. In the almost 2 years that I have had them I have been "flashed" less than 5 times. The BeamTech, as well as the expensive ones like the GRTs are specifically designed to fit into the reflector housing that we have. If they were projectors then they would not work. To do the aftermarket route you have to do your homework and find the ones that are made for your specific setup
With the HID lights you have to worry about the ballasts and everything that goes along with putting them into a housing that was not made for them where as the LEDs truly are drop in/plug and play compatible.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I used to think that too, but like so many things not all LED lights are created equity. I did my research before I joined the BeamTech crew, and I am very happy with my purchase. The BeamTech lights have a better cutoff then my stock halogens did. They were SUPER easy to put in and align so that I was not "that guy" with them. In the almost 2 years that I have had them I have been "flashed" less than 5 times. The BeamTech, as well as the expensive ones like the GRTs are specifically designed to fit into the reflector housing that we have. If they were projectors then they would not work. To do the aftermarket route you have to do your homework and find the ones that are made for your specific setup
With the HID lights you have to worry about the ballasts and everything that goes along with putting them into a housing that was not made for them where as the LEDs truly are drop in/plug and play compatible.
As you say, homework. :) In the past when I wanted brighter than stock halogens I just got Silverstars. Until lately there were no LED preplacements that I would consider. However, I understand when someone has halogen headlamps and wants brighter that there are options now, and Beamtech appears a solid option... until looking deeper into the reviews. I'll admit that I don't search reviews like everyone... I mainly read the negative reviews, on literally everything I'm researching. That's opposed to looking for the good ones, but it works for me pretty much unfailingly.

This video is the kind I'm referring to, and turned me off from agreeing with those supporting this lamp. Another lamp that was rated better was the Lightening Dark LED... but again, not looking for myself I didn't go further and look for reliability issues. Many many products of all kinds work OK at first, then STB when you need them. Headlights aren't one I personally want in that category, so reliability is THE deciding factor for me, and why I chose a car with what I want in the first place. Not everyone chooses to do that and upgrade things later, so for them this is a good conversation. My advice is like yours, do your homework.

When I refer to either HID or LED headlamps I'm referring to complete assemblies, not retrofitting "bulbs." That's a very expensive route and few follow it. You have to be really devoted and commited to a vehicle to do it, but it's the best way to go IMO. Short of that, which would be me in similar shoes, I'd still be researching while running Silverstars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As you say, homework. :) In the past when I wanted brighter than stock halogens I just got Silverstars. Until lately there were no LED preplacements that I would consider. However, I understand when someone has halogen headlamps and wants brighter that there are options now, and Beamtech appears a solid option... until looking deeper into the reviews. I'll admit that I don't search reviews like everyone... I mainly read the negative reviews, on literally everything I'm researching. That's opposed to looking for the good ones, but it works for me pretty much unfailingly.

This video is the kind I'm referring to, and turned me off from agreeing with those supporting this lamp. Another lamp that was rated better was the Lightening Dark LED... but again, not looking for myself I didn't go further and look for reliability issues. Many many products of all kinds work OK at first, then STB when you need them. Headlights aren't one I personally want in that category, so reliability is THE deciding factor for me, and why I chose a car with what I want in the first place. Not everyone chooses to do that and upgrade things later, so for them this is a good conversation. My advice is like yours, do your homework.

When I refer to either HID or LED headlamps I'm referring to complete assemblies, not retrofitting "bulbs." That's a very expensive route and few follow it. You have to be really devoted and commited to a vehicle to do it, but it's the best way to go IMO. Short of that, which would be me in similar shoes, I'd still be researching while running Silverstars.
I also always went with the Silverstars or the Silverstar Ultra, although I did not see a dramatic difference between them for the price. Before this LED conversion I was using the Osram Nightbreaker Elite, and I liked them MUCH better then the Silverstars. You have to order them online here in the US as they are not (as far as I could find) sold in stores. Still DOT legal, just not sold in store. (*note Osram is a Euro version).

Homework is the key to it all, and you seem to like to do your due diligence with things. I never was a LED drop-in "fanboy". I thought they looked "ricer" and most of them were people that I would define as "that guy" who just blinds everyone because they want to look cool to their friends. So I researched why they were doing that and how to fix it. The key to it is the inset LED, that is what helps with the light dispersion. However, this only really seems to work when you have the diffuser cap on them like our low beams do, with the high beams (no cap) you do not get that difference. Initially the only manufactures that were doing this were the high end people like GTR and Morimoto. Eventually the "knockoffs" got on board and we get competition. The other thing is that they need to be properly aligned so they are giving a cut off, "that guy" does not go to that length.

As for the Lightening Dark, those were going to be my first choice. However, at the time I was looking they were moving from the V2 to the V3. I was in contact with them for about 5 months about getting the V3, when it would be available and what the differences were. I was sold on the improvements and couldn't wait for the release, to the point I was going to take out the already purchased BeamTech lights. Sadly the came out WAY higher than what the V2 was, and quite frankly more then I would want to spend since I am happy with my BT ones. The promo code they sent me, for questioning the price hike and being in contact all this time, was laughable. If they come down I would definitely condier them, or if I did not already have the BT ones I would definitely have them.

Interesting video. Few things to consider here:
1. Not sure the age on it because those look nothing like the lights that I have installed on my vehicle. The ones I have are (and I think everyone else here does) black with a real "beefy" heatplate under it. mine are also TWO sided and not 3 side, meaning that mine are more true to halogen.
2. They are installing them in "responding vehicles"...meaning they are already modified and could have modified headlight "flashers" or something to that effect. As far as I can tell, none of us have had flashing issues with ours.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Excellent feedback. You’re the kind of people I listen louder to. And were I in the market the BTs would move to the top of my list.

Thanks for your comprehensive and thorough explanation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts