5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took care of the paperwork; bought a 2019 Sport Wagon in metallic black, CVT, and none of that eyesight crap. I test-drove one which had that, and every time I clipped a corner a bit, the [email protected] thing nagged me, so I found one without it (and with a lower-cost stereo as well). The only options I have are the winter floormats, cargo tray and seatback protector, cargo area cover, block heater, and the CVT.

I really wanted a manual, but it's only a 5 speed, and I have other reasons why I sometimes need an automatic; my partner doesn't drive manual, and being a dialysis patient, I really need the ability to drive home 1-handed from time to time. Also, the CVT offers actually 7 'gear positions' on manual mode. Yes, the shifts are a bit less precise and maybe less instantaneous, but it should work well for winter driving.

One thing I would like info on: I know that the stock headlamps are rather wimpy, so I'll probably want to add external lighting. Mounting options seem limited on this car at first glance. Some lighting retailers sell license bracket mounts, but maybe there are other options?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just took care of the paperwork; bought a 2019 Sport Wagon in metallic black, CVT, and none of that eyesight crap. I test-drove one which had that, and every time I clipped a corner a bit, the [email protected] thing nagged me, so I found one without it (and with a lower-cost stereo as well). The only options I have are the winter floormats, cargo tray and seatback protector, cargo area cover, block heater, and the CVT.

I really wanted a manual, but it's only a 5 speed, and I have other reasons why I sometimes need an automatic; my partner doesn't drive manual, and being a dialysis patient, I really need the ability to drive home 1-handed from time to time. Also, the CVT offers actually 7 'gear positions' on manual mode. Yes, the shifts are a bit less precise and maybe less instantaneous, but it should work well for winter driving.

One thing I would like info on: I know that the stock headlamps are rather wimpy, so I'll probably want to add external lighting. Mounting options seem limited on this car at first glance. Some lighting retailers sell license bracket mounts, but maybe there are other options?
Check out LP Aventures, they've got stuff for light mounting. Or just swap out the halogen bulbs in the housing for LED's. Bout $150.00 and a half hour of your time.
Everything I like about my car, that is a nitpick that I aim to change.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Check out LP Aventures, they've got stuff for light mounting. Or just swap out the halogen bulbs in the housing for LED's. Bout $150.00 and a half hour of your time.
I swapped my halogens out for LEDs...cost me less than half of that.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
A lot of us go with the Beamtech brand from Amazon. They work wonderful!
Interesting.. I'll have to dig into it. Good looking out! Any idea how they hold up in a cold climate? Seeing some people saying they get eaten up by salt and what-not. I'm in MN but for the price point it may be worth the gamble. We regularly go to Diode Dynamic for our lighting needs at my place of work so that's where I was initially going to. 3 year warranty is hard to beat in this state imo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, LED's may be brighter, but they throw light all over the place. In the end, they don't improve the reach I need. Also, the 1 light that place offers isn't really the type I'm looking for, and they don't offer any mounting solutions, either. I may end up hitting Susquehanna Motorsports for something more professional..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nah, LED's may be brighter, but they throw light all over the place. In the end, they don't improve the reach I need. Also, the 1 light that place offers isn't really the type I'm looking for, and they don't offer any mounting solutions, either. I may end up hitting Susquehanna Motorsports for something more professional..
I'd just get a Yakima basket on top for mounting solutions and have a light bar professionally hardwired at that point. Easy access functional. Been waiting on Rigid to come out with a grill solution. Diode Dynamics came out with a rally good setup but that's overkill for dailys imo

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Imp is my second car with steering responsive LED headlights and they're excellent, a far cry from yesteryear's lights.

From all I've read, literally any aftermarket LED solution in OEM housings are worse than stock... regardless of anectdotal satisfactions. So if looking to add LED headlights to a car I'd search for units like the OEM LED ones, or even the OEM ones, although the SRH part will likely not function they would be the best solution.

But you're not limited to just LED lights, there are even better available... HID. HID lights, like were in my STi, are incredible at reaching down the road. They should be available for our cars, although I haven't kept up on them for a while since getting OEM SRH LEDs. If available, they're what I'd want if going to the trouble of adding better lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting.. I'll have to dig into it. Good looking out! Any idea how they hold up in a cold climate? Seeing some people saying they get eaten up by salt and what-not. I'm in MN but for the price point it may be worth the gamble. We regularly go to Diode Dynamic for our lighting needs at my place of work so that's where I was initially going to. 3 year warranty is hard to beat in this state imo
As far as the Beamtech in the Sport housings, I've had absolutely no issues in the year I've used them. I live in Rhode Island so we see temps as low as the single digits up to the high 90's. Granted, they're bright as hell and may not be the most pleasant lights for oncoming traffic, but it's not overbearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts